4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission Problem....(uggghhh)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 AM
You know how I do....

Transmission Problem....(uggghhh)

So I drove my car this morning. Started it up, drove for about 10 mins, come to a stop sign and *BANG* the car no longer drives. Initially I thought I hit a pothole, but i was at a complete stop, then I thought I nudged it into neutral...I shifted to 1, 2, back to d, then i finally put it in park and the car continued to roll because I was on a slight slope. I had no prior issues with anything on the car except the control arms and tie rods. I'm towing it to a shop later today or tomorrow, they'll get to the root of the problem...hopefully, and hopefully it won't dent my wallet because I honestly don't have the money to get it fixed.

Things to know, it's an 98 se autocrapic, 107k miles, has a vq30de-k(35k), and it was cold as hell this morning, other than that the car ran perfectly for the 9 months i've had it. No problems shifting, no abnormal noises, I drove the car damn near everyday...sometimes for hours on end and nothing even remotely seemed wrong with it.

P.S. I tried to use the search but I kept getting some error about too many characters or some shyt to that effect...
Old 12-06-2006, 09:42 AM

Damn bro, that sucks... hope it aint that much/bad to fix..
but, DId u check if u had tranny fluid? or did u warm up the car..(since it was very cold outside)

i was told that tranny fluid over night drains out of the torque converter so u should warm it up... then it should run fine..
Old 12-06-2006, 10:28 AM
sky jumper

did you ever check the fluid level/condition? the cold temp could be a coincidence, but burnt/dirty fluid could thicken beyond limits when cold triggering the failure.

trannys are very complex. keep us posted as to what they find, and do an ATF drain/fill every 15k from now on (it's cheap, easy, and effective).

Old 12-06-2006, 12:00 PM
You know how I do....

checked the fluid, maybe a month or so ago, it was good. I'll check it when I go back to my car later today...I don't check it as often as oil level, will do that from now on...but apparantly its too late anyway. I didn't have any leaks and the level was fine. I didn't let it warm up much when I got into the car today, was in a rush...
Old 12-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Da'Burgh, Go Stillers!

So let me get this straight, it rolls even in park? Are you sure your cv shaft didn't come out or break at the joint?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:26 PM
You know how I do....

I beginning to think it might be the axles. I didn't do a thorough examination, but from what I can recall that might be the culprit. My car got impounded so im going to check when i get it out today.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:04 AM
sky jumper

impounded? what happened??

Edit: oh no - you didn't leave it stranded on the street did you??

Old 12-07-2006, 12:10 PM
You know how I do....

I pushed it into a parking lot for an apartment complex...they must have been watching me because they towed it 30 mins after i left it. Well everyone i talked to seems to think its the axles now...even the transmission place said they believe its that. Theres a grinding noise when i shift and it doesn't stay still and the speedometer moves when i hit the gas...

my car is lowered 1 1/2 inches...could these pothole covered philly streets be causing this? i already had to get new control arms and a front end alignment...
Old 12-07-2006, 12:40 PM

could be the potholes. usually they dont mix with lowered cars. although 1 1/2 isnt too bad. how long ago did you replace the axles? may be a warrenty still. and when my tranny died there was no noise at all, it just wouldnt shift out of first, so i floored it and could only go 25MHP! damn i was flyyinngggg. so it very well could probably have been axles.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:14 PM

Ouch potholes.