4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cant start, Nothing happens when turn key

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 AM

Cant start, Nothing happens when turn key

Hey guys,

Its been a while since I posted on this forum, Ive been busy with my Gt-r. Need some help with my 95 max. Ok so here it goes:

First of all, my max had the hiccups symptom for a while now. So what I did I followed your instruction on the grounds to the tranny and the ground to the starter. Sometimes she would start like a dream and sometimes she would sputter for a little bit and start right after. Well it was a cold day here in New-brunswick and when I went to start my car she wouldnt start. She would just crank crank pause backfire crank crank pause crank. So what i did I tryed to boost it with my jeep, still the same thing (crank crank pause crank...). So I took the battery, charged it to full strengh and then tryed it again. Same thing happen. So im cranking my engine for a few times, and all of a sudden I turn the key and it doesnt crank. I turn the key, I hear Click but nothing goes.
I finally figured out that my starter wasnt turning (when you touch the two bolts on the starter, you should hear the starter turn, but when i touched the two it wouldnt turn). So took out my starter, Greased it, and put it back in. Now my starter turns when i touch the two bolts, but my car still doesnt want to crank. When I turn my key, I just hear click from the fuse box panel near the steering. So I was thinking it might be that I blew somekind of fuse or relay. Does anyone know what to check for when this happens? Ive check the starter signal fuse and its ok, what else should i check for? Does anyone know where the relays are?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it
Old 12-08-2006, 06:23 AM

too many cranking amps/not enough torque from starter?

maybe your starter doesn't have enough strength, drawing too many amps from the battery to handle temporarily draining it, thus the clicking sounds of the relays. Happened to me once, I recommend you take the starter to AutoZone and have them test it on their machine, and have them test a new one so you could see the difference, the starter should have enough torque to almost rip the guys arm off...

hope that helps
Old 12-08-2006, 06:40 AM

I will do that, thanks.We did test the starter by grounding it on the neg side of the battery, taking a wire and touching the bolt on the starter and the pos side of the battery and the starter did turn very hard and almost jumped out of my hand. But the strange thing is, would the starter just give out like that. Cuz it was turning freely and then all of a sudden just stopped.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine was doing the same. It just started acting sparratic. Not wanting to start right up all the time. Then we had a cold snap(dont know if it was related to the problem) and it stopped working. Just replaced the started today. 1 starter after 106k thats got to be pretty good right?

B
Old 12-08-2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
Mine was doing the same. It just started acting sparratic. Not wanting to start right up all the time. Then we had a cold snap(dont know if it was related to the problem) and it stopped working. Just replaced the started today. 1 starter after 106k thats got to be pretty good right?

B
yeap 100k is pretty good for a starter, they (along with the alternator) also give out after prolonged periods of inactivity (i.e.: car not used in a long while)
Old 12-08-2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by ZeRo--MaX
I will do that, thanks.We did test the starter by grounding it on the neg side of the battery, taking a wire and touching the bolt on the starter and the pos side of the battery and the starter did turn very hard and almost jumped out of my hand. But the strange thing is, would the starter just give out like that. Cuz it was turning freely and then all of a sudden just stopped.

when u turn to ON, do your dash lights (Brake, Oil, CE, etc) turn on then turn off when you try to start but fade back in on the on position? if so you got a case of too many cranking amps (i.e. bad starter drawing too much energy from battery)
Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 AM

When i turn the key to on, all my lights come on in the dash, when I try to crank it, my lights in the dash just dims a little bit (not much at all).
Old 12-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Edgar

battery ...........................

Old 12-08-2006, 09:10 AM

could be ignition switch.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:24 AM

Well, im pretty sure its not the battery, because even if I boost it with a other car it still wont crank. I dont know about the ignition switch, how do I test the ignition switch? Also where is the starter relay and what fuse would cause this problem?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by nhaven
could be ignition switch.
, but don't forget to get that starter checked
Old 12-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Livin dreams thru his Maxima

I think it's ur starter .. the same **** happened to me ... first I thought it was my battery, I got a load test done on it, and it was fine ... so then I just replaced my starter and it was fine again .... just to let u know I did take my old starter to Auto Zone and it seemed like it was working, but I think the guy there just hooked it up wrong ... good luck

Ali
Old 12-08-2006, 02:27 PM

Check your CAS, i remember mine being so loose that upon just a slight bump and the car died.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:29 PM

I don't think it's the ignition switch... ignition switch either makes contact or no contact.. wouldn't explain why your dash lights fade out...

hmmm...