4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Revenge of the SES (vs. wtf is going on?!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 01:46 AM

Revenge of the SES (vs. wtf is going on?!)

Preface of today:

I got my B&M short shifter installed; I am loving it.

Moving on: After I installed the shifter, I went on for dinner with the gf; it has been raining here like mad; I drove about 30 miles in the rain, went to gf's and then headed back home. About 3 miles from my exit, after driving for about 15 miles now in the torrential rain, my SES came on. "Great" I think "now what..."; so I take my exit and head to the gas station to get gas; as it's filling up I decided to pull codes (handy small phillips screwdriver!) except... I get a 0505 - ALL IS A-OKAY. I scratch my head and go "wtf", shrug it off and get into my car to go home; SES is off. So I take off and suddenly it goes on again, then off, then on, then off and so on randomly - no pattern blinking - sometimes it'd stay on for a few seconds, sometimes it'd just blink... I get home after driving a mile and try and pull codes again - nothing - 0505 no fault detected.

NOW - I am wondering if this could be the case - my friend asked for my bottom cat shield so he can put it over his b-pipe for his S13 (for those who remember my clutch thread with the pix - the red S13 ), so there is no heatshield there. I wonder if that could cause the cat to randomly cool and heat and heat and thus make the O2 sensor crap itself... I also wonder if it can be the O2 sensor and water though even with that heatshield on, it doesn't seem to really do much.

Also, the original cat bolts snapped, so we used thinner bolts washers and nuts to bolt the cat on - it should be pretty tight.

So yeah - if anyone can give me an idea, that'd be great cuz I am stumped!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Bump!!!! Any ideas anyone?>
Old 12-10-2006, 12:24 PM

Faulty(old) wiring or something? It doesnt sound like the CEL is actually being tripped, then 'untripped', etc...but maybe it is?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:26 PM

So you don't think its the fact the cat is missing the heatshield?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A lot of us are running our cars without the bottom heat shield, me included. That thing rips off so easily when you got a few years of corrosion to help it out....I don't think that would be tripping your SES, especially since you're getting the 0505 code. I think you may have some faulty wiring. if you haven't already, try re-setting the ecu the dirty way (unplug battery for the night) and see what comes up. If that doesn't stop your dash from lighting up like a Xmas tree, you probably got some funky wiring
Old 12-10-2006, 01:13 PM
iAMIXAM!

when it was blinking randomly, you didn't reset it properly... happens to me couple times.... when i reset it right, it stopped and just stays off.........
Old 12-10-2006, 10:52 PM

if the SES/CEL light is flashing, doesn't that indicate a misfire?
but i guess that would usually store a code that could be read later.

checking the resistance on all your coil packs could be something to check since you do have a 99 with all those coil pack issues
Old 12-10-2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by gen4maxima536
if the SES/CEL light is flashing, doesn't that indicate a misfire?
but i guess that would usually store a code that could be read later.

checking the resistance on all your coil packs could be something to check since you do have a 99 with all those coil pack issues
Well it blinks at a total random pattern - i felt no misfire as I floored it and it was like "dooo daaa"

I really do think it has to do with the rain + no heatshield.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:56 AM
SHIFT_up

Gen4maxima536 is right, when the CEL just radomly blinks that indicates a misfire. I had that problem and had no CEL what so ever, not one single code or anything.

Till this day i don't know what my problem was but i replaced alot. I did a full tune-up and replaced my coils. Problem gone. So i'd check the coils and maybe the fuel filter and sparks. Just and idea of course.

But the heat shield does nothing at all and it won't give you a CEL.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:08 AM

hrm, well hasn't been happening at all lately... drove it for 40 miles at highway and city speeds - nuffin

Edit: also when it first started - it was solid on. Only after I got to the gas station and went home it started blinking. It also did it at idle... but I def. couldn't hear it misfiring or any bucking.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:42 PM
SHIFT_up

i've had a misfire that i couldn't hear nor feel but it was there. Changed coils and it's gone. I'm not saying it's your coils but you do have a 99 so welcome to that club.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 99se5speed
i've had a misfire that i couldn't hear nor feel but it was there. Changed coils and it's gone. I'm not saying it's your coils but you do have a 99 so welcome to that club.
Well - i guess I am gonna start hunting for coils haha!