4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

oh man, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

oh man, need help

Hey guys, I love my max to death but it's just been a complete pain in the ash! Stuff keeps breaking and I keep getting a funky feeling from the car when I drive it. Wow, where to start....

1. Well first, I'm gettin a knocking sound in the front. Figured it was the axle. Had my mechanic check it out and it was the right one. Funny thing is that I replaced that one like a month ago. I had that replaced under warrenty. I still got a knocking sound. He put it on a lift and the sound was coming from the differential. What could this be. My mechanic said he doesn't get into stuff like that. He said he could replace the tranny or rebuild it, or I can take it to nissan and see what they can do. Any suggestions on what it could be or what to do?

2. That's not all. Last week I got new tires. Got em rotated and balanced, all the goods. felt good. Took it to get the alignment done cause it needed it. Had it done but it still pulls to the right on acceleration. They said there's nothing they can do about it. Any suggestions? Now after the alignment the steering wheel will shake like crazy especially on the highway. Did this throw off the balancing? Do I need to take it back to discount tire?

3. My shifter assemply broke again! I can still shift but it's all loose and it's hard to make shifting smooth with how loose it is. I hear a tinging sound when I shake it side to side in neutral... Why does this happen?

4. Also I have a CEL for a bad o2 sensor. I can't remember which one it is. I've been told it's nothing to worry about. But it is on my list...

So what can I do guys? Any suggestions on what to look for, or what the problems could be or how to fix them? I'm leaving for california on friday morning and I want the car safe because I have 3 others with me. I love my car so much. I keep it clean, I get lots of compliments and it make me happy. But I want it in tip-top condition. I can afford repairs on it, so let me know what else to look for. Thanks a bunch!

Kevin
Old 12-11-2006, 07:58 AM

bad 02 sensor isnt terrible depending on how it failed. check your tires to make sure theyre all the same brand/model and speed rating. if not, thats why your steering wheels shaking. i had a knocking in the front that turned out to be loose strut tower bolts, so unless youre sure its the differential ide check the bolts. i might bring it to a transmission shop to make sure it actually is the differential since your mechanic said he 'doesnt deal with stuff like that'. as for the shifter problem, im not really sure. maybe a transmission shop will beable to help you out with it or a stealership.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:18 AM

I had the same knocking on the left side.
Turns out its the tranny mount.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:33 AM

About how much did to pay to get it fixed?

What about my other problems?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:34 AM

if there is indeed somthing wrong with the differential that could also explain why the car is pulling to the right on accelleration. The diff could not be transfering some of the power to the left wheel.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:36 AM

It could be that you have a bent rim maybe?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Boothhead
if there is indeed somthing wrong with the differential that could also explain why the car is pulling to the right on accelleration. The diff could not be transfering some of the power to the left wheel.
If it is pulling right, then the left wheel is going fast, meaning more power...anyway, yeah, that could be the source of the issue.

Bent rim, bad balancing, etc...could lead to the steering wheel shaking.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:01 AM

Do you think dicount tire would be able to tell if the rim is bent? I think I know what may have happened....you guys know those round white plastic bump things that substitute for white lines on the road? I accidentally hit one of those and it was a hard hit. Maybe that's wha did it. But yeah could discount check that for me?

Also, anything else I can look into replacing? Anything at all, I want my baby back to where she should be...

Kevin
Old 12-12-2006, 07:37 AM

did you get a print out after you did your alignment to see how much it was off before and what the specs were now?