4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Shop Blames TS ECU For Hard Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:15 PM

Shop Blames TS ECU For Hard Start

Ok, so my motor kept flooding over the weekend. I installed a new starter cause it was on it's way out anyway, so it was cranking just fine. It would just crank, and not catch. Since I really don't want to touch my car anymore (which is why I took the Maxima in the first place), I sent it to the shop. They scanned the computer, and told me they're getting a bunch of codes, and that the crankshaft position sensor was bad. So a new sensor was put in. The car has a hard time starting now....I seriously have to crank it over for awhile....and then maybe it'll start. Sometimes it'll start after I drop the gas petal all the way down, cause it's running rich. The shop also told me that the other codes were from the ecu. The car has a Technosquare ecu with a MEVI application (I was told), but its supposedly for an automatic- I have a 5spd (done by previous owner). They kept saying that the ecu was bad, and that's why the car's not starting well. The thing is, the car started just fine before this past weekend with the same ecu for that past two months I've had the car.

I'm wondering: cause i tried to jumpstart the car, could I have damaged the ecu to the point of making it have a hard time starting like this- and making it really rich? Any takers?

Also, I know that TS is out of business...anyone care to comment on their ecu upgrades? I know nothing about them. How are they compared to JWT?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:27 PM
dot dot dot ...

TS is not out of buisness.

I bet they(the shop) did not install the CPS correctly.

Also, how do you know it's running rich?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:36 AM
Old Maxima Legend

have one of your maxima buddies swing by and swap in a stock ecu and see what happens. seems a bit extreme to be a upgraded ecu problem, in my very uneducated opinion on the matter, but yeah sounds odd. my money is on some other problem rather than the ecu.

what codes do you get besides a zillion auto tranny codes ?

i ran a TS ecu for a long time, worked like a charm, TS (great bunch , good product)
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Well, I'm saying it's running rich because the shop
's saying it is. However, I don't see any worse gas mileage, and I don't really smell it being rich from the exhaust- not like I have an wideband or anything on hand haha. Well, it's starting alot better. If I just turn the key, it'll just crank over. But without fail, if I turn the key, and then press the gas pedal all the way down, it'll catch. Any takers? The car runs absolutely perfect though....and perfect idle.

Oh yea, I just went on TS website, and guess they're not out of business. Do they just not do our ECU's anymore? The codes were for the crankshaft position sensor, O2 sensors, and wrong ECU codes.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:22 PM

how could they tell you its running rich when they cant get the car to start.

I'm not knowlegable on the TS ecu also but have yet to hear of someone having a hard start as a result of the ecu.

my money would have been on the starter in the first place.