4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Goup Deal on Bose CD Changer....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 02:13 PM
Naughty

So how would you go about installing it now?

Old 07-06-2001, 04:42 PM

Instructions ...

Originally posted by Naughty
So how would you go about installing it now?
Here are the instructions that a guy sent me by email. His name was Sage and he helped me from the very very old forum in the December of 1999. So you can see that I do qualify a one of those veterans of this forum. Here is the instructions:

The directions with the install are pretty good, overall. Taking the dash
apart can be a pain. Remove the shifter piece. Pry on the base piece nearest
the rear of the car. It pops the pull it out. Next is vent piece. It pull
straight out, toward you. Remove the ash tray, there is one screw on the
left side the right side you pry out. Remove (4) screws to pull out your
deck heater controls, etc...

Plug in the wiring harness one end has allot of plugs on it one has one plus
a ground. The side with allot goes to your deck. You remove one harness on
the back of the deck and plug it into the new harness. Then plug the new
harness back into the deck. Its very confusing just plug in what fits.
you will have (2) harnesses that don't go anywhere they are for the other
deck.

Route wire. pull up carpet area on passenger side. There is a wiring channel
that runs down the side of the car. Remove door plate. They pull right off.
Route wire by seat belt area. Remove rear seat. on the bottom of the seat
piece there are (2) pull tabs pull them and the base comes right out. next
the seat back. You will see (4) bolts on the bottom remove them they are
10mm bolts. Next open the pass thru up top in there you will see (2)
phillips headed screws remove them. Pull that peice out. Next under the pass
thru flap piece are (2) more 10mm bolts. Remove those. The seat back now
lifts up and out. Route wire thru the caved in are in the seat back area
into the trunk. You will have lots of extra wire. Leave that in the Rear
seat area.
Old 07-07-2001, 12:05 PM
Naughty

Re: Instructions ...

****.....we'll the guy from www.nissanparts.cc called me back...and said they has a misprint or something on the web and who ever order the Changer for $179 ..is not the changer in the trunk, but the 6-disc changer in dash changer............does anyone know any web site where we can find a 6-disc trunk changer??? thanks......

Old 07-07-2001, 02:11 PM

Re: Re: Instructions ...

****.....we'll the guy from www.nissanparts.cc called me back...and said they has a misprint or something on the web and who ever order the Changer for $179 ..is not the changer in the trunk, but the 6-disc changer in dash changer............does anyone know any web site where we can find a 6-disc trunk changer??? thanks......

Man that Sucks. I guess I'm glad I didn't go ahead and buy it. Hey Vinipux, is your buddy still selling them at $130? Do you know if it's the OEM cd changer or if it's an aftermarket one that's compatible with the Bose head unit?
Old 07-09-2001, 06:17 AM

Sorry Dude. Bad luck I guess. Try the one that Vinipux was mentioning for $130. You can also try to look for a post that was mentioning about the dealers that gave a discount like Courtesy Nissan, Vester Nissan and there were a couple of more of those dealerships on the thread. That thread might also be a sticky one. BTW I bought mine from Vester Nissan in Clinton, NC.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It Works!

Originally posted by dvpatel99se

I just purchased the changer from Brandon at Bass for $150.
It works perfectly with the Bose headunit. I ordered it on Monday got it on Wednesday (Ca. to Ga.) I installed it. Plugs work, functions work, no problems. It doesen't get any better than this. Brandon said if you get a group of 10 or more the price is $130. This deal is sweeeet! The number is 800.499.2277. Ask for Brandon only. The end.

Sorry Dude. Bad luck I guess. Try the one that Vinipux was mentioning for $130. You can also try to look for a post that was mentioning about the dealers that gave a discount like Courtesy Nissan, Vester Nissan and there were a couple of more of those dealerships on the thread. That thread might also be a sticky one. BTW I bought mine from Vester Nissan in Clinton, NC.
Old 07-12-2001, 06:17 PM

What if you already have a BOSE CD in dash

How do you control the BOSE/OEM trunk changer ? Is there a new set of controls... I would think there would need to be at least one to select the CD (?)

Bob
Old 07-12-2001, 06:36 PM

Re: What if you already have a BOSE CD in dash

Originally posted by BobMax
How do you control the BOSE/OEM trunk changer ? Is there a new set of controls... I would think there would need to be at least one to select the CD (?)

Bob

I think Mark was talking about the Trunk mounted one from Bass. The Bose already has the Changer Controls. The problem with the In-dash one is that it has its own changer controls.
Mark can you clarify which changer you bought?
Old 07-12-2001, 07:38 PM

That actually the root of my confusion

although I didn't state it very well.

If you already have an in-dash BOSE unit, can you retain it and also have a trunk mounted changer ? Or do you have to remove/disable the in-dash unit so that the controls can operate the trunk unit (only) ?

thanks,
bob
Old 07-12-2001, 08:16 PM

Re: That actually the root of my confusion

Originally posted by BobMax
although I didn't state it very well.

If you already have an in-dash BOSE unit, can you retain it and also have a trunk mounted changer ? Or do you have to remove/disable the in-dash unit so that the controls can operate the trunk unit (only) ?

thanks,
bob
Here is how it works. You have to keep the Bose because that is the only controller you have. The CD/CHG button or the CD button flips controls between the Bose and the CHanger.
I have the Bose. I have the trunk mounted changer. Both work through the Bose
Old 07-12-2001, 10:27 PM

Question Here... ok, so I have the 1997 Bose headunit. It has a DIN 5 connector on the back for a CD changer, except the CD changer I got has a DIN 8 connector, does anyone know the pin-outs so I can make this work? The changer powers up and stuff, but I think the controlling and audio functions go through the DIN connector like on my 1990. Thanks.

-V

BTW, this is the 6 disc in dash changer I'm hooking up. You can see a picture of how it looks attached.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by vmok
Question Here... ok, so I have the 1997 Bose headunit. It has a DIN 5 connector on the back for a CD changer, except the CD changer I got has a DIN 8 connector, does anyone know the pin-outs so I can make this work? The changer powers up and stuff, but I think the controlling and audio functions go through the DIN connector like on my 1990. Thanks.

-V

BTW, this is the 6 disc in dash changer I'm hooking up. You can see a picture of how it looks attached.
The in-dash changer DOES NOT work with the Bose or non-bose 2 din stereos. That was what I was trying to explain in this whole thread. The trunk one has two pins. the 5 - pin connector and the other one is the same as the wiring harness on the back of the stereo. You take out the existing harness, hook in the new Male portion in the cable, hook the 5 pin in its connector and hook the car's harness in the female connector provided with the cable. It is a simple three plug hook up. The In-dash unit will NOT work because there is no 5 pin connector to it. Now that you mention that you only got one 8 pin plug it proves that it will not work.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know if the info I am about to post has been mentioned before but here it is. I contacted the member who could get the changer for 130 and got the e-mail of the guy selling it. His e-mail is michellehernan01@hotmail.com. I told him I had a 97 GLE with Bose, asked if it would work, asked about CD-R's, asked about controlling it, who makes it, etc. This was his reply:
"OK here I go. It will work with a 97 bose system. It is like a factory changer it plugs and plays. I don't know about CD-Rs and as long as you radio has CD changer controls it will work the changer. Its small it can probably fit in the glove box. 6 discs. Sherwood makes it and it is brand new with a 30 day warranty. Any time and thank you
Brandon"
I am trying to get the model number and a final price. Has anyone hooked up THIS model? What were the results? Sorry if this has been posted before but I just found out and thought some people might want to know.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:14 PM

The in-dash changer DOES NOT work with the Bose or non-bose 2 din stereos. That was what I was trying to explain in this whole thread. The trunk one has two pins. the 5 - pin connector and the other one is the same as the wiring harness on the back of the stereo. You take out the existing harness, hook in the new Male portion in the cable, hook the 5 pin in its connector and hook the car's harness in the female connector provided with the cable. It is a simple three plug hook up. The In-dash unit will NOT work because there is no 5 pin connector to it. Now that you mention that you only got one 8 pin plug it proves that it will not work.
dvpatel99se, thanks for the info. I think I did see something about that earlier in the thread, but I ordered the changer back in mid June, and it took till now to get here (don't ask, UPS shipped it from TX, the source, to CA, whre I live, to Illinois to Southern Cal, to Northern CA, etc...). Anyway, I figured I'd try to make it work anyway.

One insteresting this is this. The twinburbo.net guys have it on their site. There's supposedly a 8pin to 5pin adapter harness they can buy for the circular part. I've tried plugging in the square harness with the m/f connectors, and both the stock bose and cd player operate fine. So I assume the DIN 8 and DIN 5 connectors carry the audio signal and any controller info.

The adapter is like $70 so I wanted to see if I could make my own and try it before buying it.

-V

I've attaced a pic of the connectors...
Old 07-13-2001, 02:20 PM
Naughty

Just picked up the Sherwood CD-Changer...form (Bass)..for $140, for all you people out there if you want to get it for $130 you need to get 10 people ................

For people who have already installed this...it is "plug and play" right...no adaptors right?

Old 07-13-2001, 02:38 PM

Just picked up the Sherwood CD-Changer...form (Bass)..for $140, for all you people out there if you want to get it for $130 you need to get 10 people ................

For people who have already installed this...it is "plug and play" right...no adaptors right?
More info on the supposed $130 one... He said its model number 6CD-N and if you call with a credit card or Paypal he will give it to you for $150 plus $12 shipping bringing the total to $162. He didn't mention anything about 10 people.
Old 07-13-2001, 02:56 PM
Naughty

Originally posted by WaarrEagle

More info on the supposed $130 one... He said its model number 6CD-N and if you call with a credit card or Paypal he will give it to you for $150 plus $12 shipping bringing the total to $162. He didn't mention anything about 10 people.
I got the $130 Price per 10 orders from a couple post before this....but if you guys dont want to wait you can get it for $140/$150 + 7.5 % + shipping ( if not in the area)

Old 07-13-2001, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: What if you already have a BOSE CD in dash

Yes, I purchased the trunk model for my existing Bose headunit. As I said, it works perfectly and yes, you still have the operation of the in dash cd. (6+1) This unit was easy to install thanks to the preceding directions on this thread. I also printed the directions from the "mods" page about the i30 dash kit. It was very similar to what you have to do to access the wiring harness. Take your time so you don't break anything! The whole thing took @ 3hrs. This is a great bang for your buck deal. Thanks to Bass for offering it!

I think Mark was talking about the Trunk mounted one from Bass. The Bose already has the Changer Controls. The problem with the In-dash one is that it has its own changer controls.
Mark can you clarify which changer you bought?
Old 07-13-2001, 11:32 PM

Round up 10 people

Let's try to round up 10 or so people so that we can get it for $130 instead of 150. Who's in? I'm IN!!!!
Old 07-14-2001, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by vmok

dvpatel99se, thanks for the info. I think I did see something about that earlier in the thread, but I ordered the changer back in mid June, and it took till now to get here (don't ask, UPS shipped it from TX, the source, to CA, whre I live, to Illinois to Southern Cal, to Northern CA, etc...). Anyway, I figured I'd try to make it work anyway.

One insteresting this is this. The twinburbo.net guys have it on their site. There's supposedly a 8pin to 5pin adapter harness they can buy for the circular part. I've tried plugging in the square harness with the m/f connectors, and both the stock bose and cd player operate fine. So I assume the DIN 8 and DIN 5 connectors carry the audio signal and any controller info.

The adapter is like $70 so I wanted to see if I could make my own and try it before buying it.

-V

I've attaced a pic of the connectors...

Originally posted by MarkW
Yes, I purchased the trunk model for my existing Bose headunit. As I said, it works perfectly and yes, you still have the operation of the in dash cd. (6+1) This unit was easy to install thanks to the preceding directions on this thread.
You guys are welcome. Atlast I can now claim to have made a tiny bit of contribution to the forum.

vmok, $70 for an adaptor sounds outrageous. I mean $169 or so for the changer itself and then $70 for the adaptor!!!! Yikes!!

If you can get a CD Changer wiring harness that will solve the square pin problem but I am not an electronics expert so I would not know where to get the three additional wires as you are trying to go to 8 pins from 5. But all the best. If you do succeed or get a cheaper price for the adaptor, post the information as I was seriously considering putting the indash changer in the same way as you have done in the coin pocket. And I am sure there were more people interested in doing this than the two of us.
Old 07-14-2001, 10:07 AM

MP3 Changer Instead

While we're on the subject, I would much rather have an MP3 changer than a CD changer. Is such a thing available that would work with a Bose, or is there a general mod that can be made for this? I know that Rockford Fosgate currently has one that's a 8 flash card changer, how can I make this fit to the Bose head?

Thanks!

MaXXX
Old 07-14-2001, 03:32 PM

Re: Round up 10 people

Originally posted by Max96LSU
Let's try to round up 10 or so people so that we can get it for $130 instead of 150. Who's in? I'm IN!!!!
I'm interested. How many are there now?
Old 07-14-2001, 05:33 PM

More stupid questions from Bob

a.) Which unit are we not "getting in" on ? The OEM "same as BOSE" unit or the Sherwood "can make it work" unit ?

b.) If you have the BOSE system NOW with a single CD in dash, what happens to that unit when you install the changer ? Disconnected ? Still operative ?

thanks,
Bob
Old 07-14-2001, 07:25 PM

Bob

(1) The $130 GD is for the compatible Sherwood unit. The OEM, in-dash, Bose-incompatible, 6-disc CD changer is $179 from BTAG Online (www.nissanparts.cc).

(2) The single CD Bose in-dash (what you currently have) will still function. With an add-on CD changer, you now have FM1/FM2/AM, tape, CD, and CD changer. That means you can load a total of 7 CDs, six in the changer and one in the dash.
Old 07-15-2001, 04:52 AM
Naughty

Re: Bob

I installed the "Sherwood" Changer today....works great! no problem...its basically "plug and play"..all the controls work as they were intended to....for $140 you cant go wrong (in my opion).

Old 07-15-2001, 06:50 AM

OK, I'm getting it... a followup question or two

Is there a trunk mounted version of the factory unit or were all the factory units in-dash ?

If I understand correctly, the Sherwood unit at $130/140/150 does not mount in-dash, but would go somewhere else that I choose ? Is the $130 unit from the ebay link provided earlier a factory/OEM unit, and does it mount in-dash or in-trunk ?

hopefully this ends my questions :-)

BOb
Old 07-15-2001, 07:13 AM

Naughty

I installed the "Sherwood" Changer today....works great! no problem...its basically "plug and play"..all the controls work as they were intended to....for $140 you cant go wrong (in my opion).
Where did you mount your changer? What other parts did the install require (did you have to buy extra wire, etc)?
Old 07-15-2001, 03:05 PM

IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ

Just out of curiosity, I found out the Kelley Blue Book retail and trade-in values, as well as the Edmund's trade-in, private party, and dealer retail values for my Maxima. I ran the numbers both with and without a CD changer, all else being equal. I consistently got numbers that averaged $215 more, with a CD changer installed. Therefore, purchasing a CD changer for $130/$140 + S&H is a wise investment! This "mod" actually increases the value of your car, beyond your initial investment in the mod!

So now the question is, who wants to volunteer to coordinate this GD for $130 from Bass? Vinipux? Max96LSU?
Old 07-15-2001, 03:20 PM

I just got an e-mail back from Brandon mentioning I was from the org and he said he can do $130. I am guessing he will put $12 on for shipping but im not sure. He said to call 800-499-2277 and I guess ask for Brandon?? He didn't say anything about needing 10 people to me.
Old 07-15-2001, 10:16 PM
Naughty

Re: Naughty

Originally posted by j_bryan

Where did you mount your changer? What other parts did the install require (did you have to buy extra wire, etc)?
I mounted the CD Changer on the "top" inside of the trunk.I felt that it was the best location.........I know side mounting is popular also......as for the extra wiring you dont need anything else....."plug and play"

Old 07-15-2001, 10:49 PM

Re: Re: Naughty

I mounted the CD Changer on the "top" inside of the trunk.I felt that it was the best location.........I know side mounting is popular also......as for the extra wiring you dont need anything else....."plug and play"
Would it fit in the glove box if you wanted it to?
Old 07-15-2001, 11:01 PM
Naughty

Re: Re: Re: Naughty

Would it fit in the glove box if you wanted it to?
Yeah the changer i think is small enough to fit in the golve box...also you might want to look into if it would fit under the driver or passanger seat............

Old 07-16-2001, 07:53 AM

Naughty....Need info

How did you get in contact with the guy who sells it for $130/140....Does he have a website we can go to to order?
I want to get mine ASAP. Thanks

-MDM
Old 07-16-2001, 08:00 AM

Naughty....Need info

How did you get in contact with the guy who sells it for $130/140....Does he have a website we can go to to order?

-MDM
Old 07-16-2001, 08:40 AM

Re: Naughty....Need info

Originally posted by Max96LSU

-MDM
His e-mail is michellehernan01@hotmail.com and his phone number is 800-499-2277. Ask for Brandon. You have to mention your from the org to get the $130 price. I don't know if he has a site?? Naughty, how did you order yours?
Old 07-16-2001, 09:26 AM
Naughty

Re: Re: Naughty....Need info

His e-mail is michellehernan01@hotmail.com and his phone number is 800-499-2277. Ask for Brandon. You have to mention your from the org to get the $130 price. I don't know if he has a site?? Naughty, how did you order yours?
Acutally, I got his Info off of Ebay and E-mailed him directly...went back and forth a few times......and pick it up from him.........

Old 07-16-2001, 09:28 AM

Thanks WaarEagle...
Old 07-16-2001, 04:27 PM

5th Gen Compatibility

Does anyone know if the Sherwood changer works with the 5th generation Bose head unit?
Old 07-26-2001, 08:28 AM
Naughty

Re: 5th Gen Compatibility

Question:

Will the Sherwood CD Changer work with any BOSE head unit? from any car marker
Thanks

Old 07-26-2001, 08:41 AM

CD CHANGERS

Hey guys, good news and bad news, the bad news is that the price went up, it's 160 for the sherwood changer, the good news is that they are still available for anyone who wants them, the reason for the price increase is because brandon cannot deal with millions of e-mails asking about the changer, basically if you went through him you would pay $142 shipping included, but now everyone has to go thrugh me, and it's only $18 more, it's $160 and shipping is included and it's also insured, e-mail me if you are intersted, these are really good changers, I have one in my car and it's flawless

Konstantin

Quick Reply: Goup Deal on Bose CD Changer....