4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

doors wont unlock

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:42 PM

doors wont unlock

I just put blue LED's in a second driver door switch assembly and changed my old one out, and now my doors wont unlock when I press the unlock button, or more frustratingly, when I disarm my alarm. I even tried hooking the old one up. I even went as far as bridging the contacts, and even just straight grounding it to try and get it to work, and nothing. Everything else works. I even tried grounding the lock button just to make sure that it was on a (-) system. And it locks fine, all windows work. Lights up. But no unlock. Anyone have this problem or know what I could check? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:49 PM

I am facing the same problem. My car's door lock when i press button but they won't unlock.
And I don't have any fancy electronics in the car, so I am thinking that it might be a fuse but I am not sure where to look.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 AM

yeah, I cant find a fuse for door locks, so today Im checkin all fuses and see if I can find another relay. I'm pretty sure the door lock relays are in the switch assembly, but still. I'm also gonna check the wire harness, make sure all the wires are in there good. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:49 AM

To confrim your thoughts, it does sound like a fuse issue. I dont see where in the process of installing LEDs into your door switches you mightave destroyed something else electrical(other than a fuse).
Old 01-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Just the tip.

Did you put the rear window switches back onto the correct doors? Theyre marked "left" and "right". I had this same problem when I did my LEDs and all it was was I had them in the wrong doors.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:16 AM

i just checked all the fuses under the dash and the few under the hood by the batt. They're all good. I'm going to recheck them later to make sure i didnt miss one. I already had all the switches with LED's, I was still somewhat of a beginner and I messed up the LED board on the driver door a bit so i couldnt get a good contact for one of the bulbs, then my trim got chipped, so I just bought a new switch off ebay for $15.

Its not the connector. Since the unlock works on a dual-pulse system I can double tap the unlock wire, I think its green/red stripe, and it will unlock. Then I tapped the back of the board where that pin is soldered and it worked. And a few other places it would work. But it seems like the relays not working. When you press the button its supposed to make contact, ground the relay, then the relay sends a double pulse to the pin, which goes to the locking mechanism. It just seems like the relay doesnt work. But its weird that all of a sudden it doesnt work on either one.

If anyone could do me huge favor, and pull their switch out and unplug it. With the car and lights off, what wires are hot. The only one I have constant 12v is the white/red stripe wire. And the black is the only ground. Im trying to get a hold of another 4th gen owner I know to see if I can take his switch and put it in my car to see if it works. That way I know if its the switch, or something else.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:04 AM

let me tell you sometimes if one of the doors arent put on the proper way the other door wont work..i learned this when i did my first interior swap so double check everythin again