4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to insert Leather Door Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How to insert Leather Door Inserts

I've taken off the cloth from the Door...now Do I have to do anything else? like cut the foam or something, to get the leather door inserts to fit properly?

(I know i have to match up the Leather insert and slit holes in the door so i can put the metal tabs through)...

Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Boosted Panda

Yes, that how you do it, you will have to cut out that middle section of foam and vinyl or else the insert will not sit flushly.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Maxima Owner

i personally like the cloth inserts better....but again that on Black interior...lil bit of contrast....
Old 01-04-2007, 12:10 PM

no need to cut anything. on the back of the door panel you will see that the insert is held in by a bunch of metal tabs. bend them outwards. pull out the insert. put the new peice of material on it. and reinstall.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Just press metal tabs down, and used some high strength adhesive. Let sit over night with some weight on it, till the adhesive dries.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
no need to cut anything. on the back of the door panel you will see that the insert is held in by a bunch of metal tabs. bend them outwards. pull out the insert. put the new peice of material on it. and reinstall.

Thats only true if you already have the leather inserts.
Look at the door panel where he removed the cloth,, it is GLUED on. Nowhere are there metal tabs holding anything on.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
i personally like the cloth inserts better....but again that on Black interior...lil bit of contrast....

Coth looks really out of place when you have all leather inside. When I did my full black conversion, the black leather door inserts look so much better with the black rear leather seat then the grey cloth inserts.
Now I need to find somone to cover my 350Z seats in black leather.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just finished doing this in mine... this was a pain in the ***... the cloth interiors are one solid piece door panels.. you will see there is a raised edge on the back... best way to remove the part where you stripped the cloth is to take a belt sander and slowly sand it down... it will come out eventually(might need to push a little).. and that vinyl on the outside you might want to take a razor blade in the crease or else if you are not careful it will peel up the door... once this piece is out you need to trace it onto a piece of wood... then i used a band saw and cut it out... glue some foam padding ect to the wood and use you leather (probably vynil like i used)... then you need to insert it back... do this from from to back so that way it squeezes in the door good... i used a nail gun to put four nails in the panel... then used hot glue to seal all around the edges from the back... i piled it on... then to make sure it was really sturdy (because in a teenage car you know is bound to get kicked or something) i put a fiberglass strips behind it...but anyways thats my two cents... i saw this post and typed this in like 3 mins and didnt read it over so if you want more info or something doesnt make sense just pm me
Old 01-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by PhilipBarrar
i just finished doing this in mine... this was a pain in the ***... the cloth interiors are one solid piece door panels.. you will see there is a raised edge on the back... best way to remove the part where you stripped the cloth is to take a belt sander and slowly sand it down... it will come out eventually(might need to push a little).. and that vinyl on the outside you might want to take a razor blade in the crease or else if you are not careful it will peel up the door... once this piece is out you need to trace it onto a piece of wood... then i used a band saw and cut it out... glue some foam padding ect to the wood and use you leather (probably vynil like i used)... then you need to insert it back... do this from from to back so that way it squeezes in the door good... i used a nail gun to put four nails in the panel... then used hot glue to seal all around the edges from the back... i piled it on... then to make sure it was really sturdy (because in a teenage car you know is bound to get kicked or something) i put a fiberglass strips behind it...but anyways thats my two cents... i saw this post and typed this in like 3 mins and didnt read it over so if you want more info or something doesnt make sense just pm me

You could have avioded a lot of that work by just buying some used door inserts. You would have still had to do the cloth removal and then do the trimming of the Vinyl and foam ( i also used a razor). After that you simply mark the where the tabs meet the door card, and cut the notches, simply put the metal tabs through and fold them back. The padding in the door inserts makes them fit nice and snug. Once there in, you cannot even notice they didnt come on the car originally.