4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cattman headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 2 MaXiMuS 4
Brian suggested in his instructions for the catback install to replace the oem hangers with either Walker brand or Nismo - since his catback is a bit heavier than stock, it might hang lower with the oem ones.
heavier than stock? thats news to me...
Old 01-30-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
That's not anything small hose clamps cannot fix. I can type, in red lettering, Nismo on my hose clamps and sleep better at night. My b pipe was clanking every shift, added a hose clamp to the hangers, haven't heard a 'clank' ever since.

Maximus, no flaming intended, i'm just too ghetto to spend that kinda money on hangers.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Maxima.Org's Official Lurker

Originally Posted by jac121479

Maximus, no flaming intended, i'm just too ghetto to spend that kinda money on hangers.
yea, i thought it was a pretty ridiculous amount of money for a set of hangers, but with the cash i just blew on the exhaust i was just like fukc it...
Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 PM
slowest 5-cylinder in the East

Yeah its heavier than stock... Stainless steel, bro. It's also higher quality and maybe thicker?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Old Maxima Legend

yeah the cattman catback heavier than stock ? i would give brian the benefit of the doubt, but i find it hard to believe. But then again I used to have a warpspeed bpipe and magnaflow muffler, and i weighed both of them, and the cattman catback was lighter than the warpspeed setup. i would have thought the aftermarket setups would be lighter in general, and cattman to be pretty light
Old 01-31-2007, 05:16 AM
Black Lion

I called him up after receiving my headers and asked if there were any other gaskets I needed, because he had mentioned to me they were low on hardware kits. The installation kit for the headers is supposed to include bolts for the manifolds to ypipe and 2 gaskets. To keep the price at $800 they didn't include the manifold gaskets since they can be reused anyway.

I'm still waiting for those hangers to come in so i can have the whole system installed in one shot. I'm going on a road trip to DC this weekend, so I'll probably shoot for next week to get these on the car.
cool i bet you are very excited. i cant wait to get mine,when exactly did you get yours?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
cool i bet you are very excited. i cant wait to get mine,when exactly did you get yours?
I can't wait to get it on...Brian shipped it on 1/18 and I got it on 1/23.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Black Lion

I can't wait to get it on...Brian shipped it on 1/18 and I got it on 1/23.
nice you must have been in the first bacth then. that means im getting mine soon.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
nice you must have been in the first bacth then. that means im getting mine soon.
yep, i preorded back in June.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
yeah the cattman catback heavier than stock ? i would give brian the benefit of the doubt, but i find it hard to believe. But then again I used to have a warpspeed bpipe and magnaflow muffler, and i weighed both of them, and the cattman catback was lighter than the warpspeed setup. i would have thought the aftermarket setups would be lighter in general, and cattman to be pretty light
i agree! i thought the stock exhaust walls were way thicker making them heavier. what material is used for stock exhaust?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Black Lion

yep, i preorded back in June.
keep us posted when you get it there and your impressions on it.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:17 PM

I just read somewhere that headers do little for the 3.0, and only give good gains for the 3.5s
Old 01-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I didn't see this thread till now, so I'll jump in with a couple things.

Power
On a VQ30DE, headers make 50-60% more power than a y-pipe over quite a bit of the rpm range, its just a matter of deciding whether to leave that power on the table or spend over twice as much on the part.

Gaskets
On the subject of gaskets, we may occasionally misplace one, but that's quite rare - its usually a matter of "differing expectations". Here's a breakdown of what is currently included with each of our exhaust parts:

With headers, we provide hardware and gaskets to bolt the manifolds to the y-pipe. There are no other hardware requirements, the heads and the cat have studs, and nuts to screw onto them. Headflange and cat gaskets aren't included because the 2- and 3-leaved metal Nissan gaskets practically last forever. I've re-used them across many prototype installations; it seems that including them will increase everyone's price when they're seldom required. I'm watching input though, and if there are issues with re-using these gaskets, we'll put whatever's required in the kit (though if that includes head flange gaskets, the price will likely go up a bit).

All y-pipes include all Nissan factory crush ring and flat gaskets. The y-pipe install kit for 99-01 CA/NLEV cars also includes hardware.

FastCat gaskets - we include a pair of original Nissan metal gaskets because we figure if someone's buying our FastCat, there's a fair chance that the Nissan gaskets are damaged or missing because the cat has detonated or they're replacing a replacement.

b-pipe - 4 nuts/bolts and 2 gaskets (for the middle and the muffler end); the stock cat has studs/nuts and

muffler - 2 nuts/bolts and 1 gasket (no hardware in the box if muffler is part of a full catback system)

[Note that buying a complete exhaust system (from header or y-pipe back) includes every gasket required except for the head flange gaskets for header manifolds.]

Catback weight
I know that the Cattman Catback is heavier than most performance catbacks because we use 16gauge tubing, much thicker flanges, thicker steel and heavier sound materials in the resonator and muffler, etc. but I'm not so sure that ours is heavier than the stock exhaust. That said, every aspect of that weight difference reflects a more sturdy, robust part. The thicker s/s tubing walls, in particular, increase hp because their superior thermal retention maintains faster exhaust velocities and less turbulance.

Catback Installation
Finally, if you've received headers already and haven't installed, give us a call or send email, and I'll pass along a couple useful tips I've collected from those who have installed already. Its not a simple job, but these instructions will make it easier.

Brian
Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 PM

just installed it and pull is nutty, sound is 350zish (w/ exhaust), & install sucked sack. it took me just under seven hours (not fun) but well worth it!
Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Old Maxima Legend

there ya go ! fill that tank up and enjoy a weekend worth of sweet vq exhaust note !
Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 AM

just installed it and pull is nutty, sound is 350zish (w/ exhaust), & install sucked sack. it took me just under seven hour (not fun) but well worth it!
let me know what kind of increase in ur HP and TQ u get...
Old 02-02-2007, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by ethnic6
let me know what kind of increase in ur HP and TQ u get...
i never did a stock baseline dyno but when i get my current numbers, which probably won't be soon, i'll post em.
though i did do a dyno on dynapacks once with everything i have now except a CA spec Cattman y-pipe versus the header. i believe i got 179hp and 190tq, but i'd have to find the sheet to be sure. i'll go off of those numbers as my before. there's definitely way more pull. with my Kumho MX's, i have no traction if i floor it at any point in first gear. that was not the case before the headers. second gear seems to dissappear fairly quick as well.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:23 AM

I just read somewhere that headers do little for the 3.0, and only give good gains for the 3.5s
when comparing stock to header install, both engines get a good increase (the 3.5 seeing alittle more). when comparing y-pipe to header install, the 3.5 will more than likely see more of an increase as there y-pipe does not eliminate the precats "i believe" (someone correct me if i'm wrong), were as all 4th gen y-pipes (except CA Spec) loss both precats with the install of a y-pipe. so 3.0 y-pipes make more power (base on % of hp increase) than 3.5 y-pipes. make sense??? again, step in if i'm wrong. i don't own a 3.5 so it's possible.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

when comparing stock to header install, both engines get a good increase (the 3.5 seeing alittle more). when comparing y-pipe to header install, the 3.5 will more than likely see more of an increase as there y-pipe does not eliminate the precats "i believe" (someone correct me if i'm wrong), were as all 4th gen y-pipes (except CA Spec) loss both precats with the install of a y-pipe. so 3.0 y-pipes make more power (base on % of hp increase) than 3.5 y-pipes. make sense??? again, step in if i'm wrong. i don't own a 3.5 so it's possible.

I would still get headers for th 3.0L..
Old 02-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

That's more or less correct, though I'd add that the stock y-pipe on the 02/03 flowed better than previous y-pipe versions on the 95-01, so that also diminished the gain from the performance y-pipe (expect about 7-9 whp on the 02/03 VQ35DE - which still isn't bad, we're sort of spoiled since this motor responds so well to bolt-on modifications).
Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

I would still get headers for th 3.0L..
true, true...
Old 02-02-2007, 02:54 PM

took another drive today to get a real feel for these headers. these headers seem to be making power all over the place. high and low end! i got on it hard today and shifting into second my Kumho MX's are breaking loose. not just a small chirp either. more like a one to two second session of hydroplaning, just with out water. it's time for the quaife!!!

edit: i'll be dynoing tomorrow. gonna go with a dynapack dyno to compare to my last dyno (also a dynapack dyno). i know dynapacks suck, blah blah blah...
Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Administrator

jac,

Just curious, how did you install the headers? Did you remove the engine support brace and work from below or remove the intake manifold and work from above? Haynes and the FSM call for supporting the engine with a cherry picker and removing the engine braces from below. I don't have a cherry picker, and it seemed too scary to me. I removed my MEVI in 45 minutes and got to the trouble bolt with minimal effort.

After test fitting everything, I removed the Cattman headers and sent them off to get ceramic coated. Can't wait to get them back next week.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:07 AM

Just curious, but how much do u estimate it costs to install a header (if done at a shop)
Old 02-03-2007, 12:14 AM

i worked from below. i removed the crossmember first and worked from there. the cross member didn't wanna go back in after the install cause the aft mount bolts too much thread portrusion and contacted the y-pipe. so i dropped the crossmember down again, removed the aft mount bolts and reinstalled them with the head of the bolt on the y-pipe side to give the y-pipe clearance. i still had to use a tranny jack to force the crossmember in since the end of the bolts on the aft mounts were now hard up on the support bar by the shifter rod. i figured i'd rather dig that up than the y-pipe. it worked with minimal scratching on the support bar, but definitely a pain. it just sucks that i can't use my LTB now...
Old 02-03-2007, 10:41 AM

Just curious, but how much do u estimate it costs to install a header (if done at a shop)
take their labor rate X 5-8 hours of work. five is only possible with the right tools and maxima experience.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I've actually seen headers installed in less than 3 hours, but only by someone who works very efficiently and is experienced with that procedure.

My mechanic will install a set for about $150, if anyone's anywhere near Tucson.

Brian
Old 02-04-2007, 05:11 AM

hey guys theres all this talk about cattman headers well headers for maximas not worth the money nad not giving any power really its the y pipe could someone correct me on this i dont want to spend all that money and not get nothing but sound from it even tho i love the sound
Old 02-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Not worth the money and no more power than a y-pipe? What a shock and disappointment, now I've gone through all this trouble for nothing.

No hard feelings, here's a few periods (..........) for the next time you post.

BCC
Old 02-06-2007, 01:23 AM

Thats not me saying that its others on the org,personally after i fixed the few problems on my car,im buying headers y pipe and full exhaust.Personally i feel that it has to if its a better flowing pipes it has to make the car run to it full potential.Which also increases hp.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Bad information dies hard on the .org, it just keeps coming back to life. "Headers aren't worthwhile on VQ30DE motors" is one of those, and I just read that there's "no reason to put a y-pipe on a 5th gen Maxima", which is also bogus.

These are all legitimate parts, but one will be a better fit than another for most customers, depending on their budgets and performance upgrade strategies.

Brian

Originally Posted by 96MaximuzGXE
Thats not me saying that its others on the org,personally after i fixed the few problems on my car,im buying headers y pipe and full exhaust.Personally i feel that it has to if its a better flowing pipes it has to make the car run to it full potential.Which also increases hp.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Good news! Q deposits #8 & 9 just arrived. All right, we've passed the halfway point! I know of another one in the pipeline, and after that we only need six more deposits to kick off the deal.

1. MaxVTChE
2. Anonymous (maxima.org member)
3. The Wizard
4. Ghase
5. Choray911
6. Maximeltman
7. Paemt6220
8. THT
9. Tom96SE
10 ...

Stay tuned.

Brian
Old 02-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Old Maxima Legend

the 1st and 2nd fastest 3 liter VQ's (N/A) in the 1/4 mile on maxima.org have cattman headers. i will say this once more and im outta here, they are better than a ypipe and they are for goodness sake, better than stock.

- info from timeslips database 02/07
peace
Old 02-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Hail Caesar! Thanks for the good words, and I hope you're enjoying your Summer in Kiwiland, you lucky stiff. Foxton Beach, indeed - if these guys had any idea of what a cool place you live, they'd all want to visit.

Brian

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
the 1st and 2nd fastest 3 liter VQ's (N/A) in the 1/4 mile on maxima.org have cattman headers. i will say this once more and im outta here, they are better than a ypipe and they are for goodness sake, better than stock.

- info from timeslips database 02/07
peace
Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Man I hate reading that headers do nothing for the max, Its def. not true! As soon as I can justify spending the money on them I will! GO CATTMAN! haha

Im just wondering, do you make a set of headers for the RWD VQ35?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Our header manifolds MIGHT fit a RWD VQ35DE, but it would just be a fluke, and you'd have to fabricate the y-pipe.

Stylistically, RWD usually manifolds come to the collector sort of pointing to the rear of the car. FWD headers tend to just point straight down (ours are like this), and this could present a design issue because with that orientation there might not be room for a y-pipe on a RWD.

I guess the way to find out would be to just hold the manifolds up to manifold-less motor.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by 96MaximuzGXE
hey guys theres all this talk about cattman headers well headers for maximas not worth the money nad not giving any power really its the y pipe could someone correct me on this i dont want to spend all that money and not get nothing but sound from it even tho i love the sound
Most headers for the Maxima don't do much. But these are Cattman headers. Totally different story.

If your car is mostly stock, these headers will only give you a few more hp than a Y-pipe will. If it's modded, you'll get much more hp from these headers...
Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

On a lightly-modded VQ30DE Maxima, figure roughly 11-14whp for a y-pipe, 17-21whp for the headers. Results vary based on condition of the engine, transmission type, and the sort of mods the car does, or doesn't have.

A vehicle with cams and/or forced air has overcome the engine's primary limitation - running out of breath at upper rpms - and the headers make good power at the top end.

Brian
Old 02-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cattman
A vehicle with cams and/or forced air has overcome the engine's primary limitation - running out of breath at upper rpms - and the headers make good power at the top end.

Brian
that exactly my plan now. 00vi & redrilled 3.5 cams. should make for a killer set-up.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

that exactly my plan now. 00vi & redrilled 3.5 cams. should make for a killer set-up.
Oh yes, definitely.

BCC

Quick Reply: Cattman headers