4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cattman headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:59 AM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by Cattman
Hail Caesar! Thanks for the good words, and I hope you're enjoying your Summer in Kiwiland, you lucky stiff. Foxton Beach, indeed - if these guys had any idea of what a cool place you live, they'd all want to visit.

Brian
edit:
brian, they actually do ! dandymax from the org is here, he got the EU installed today, and the chariot runs like a bat out of hail on steroids!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:27 AM
10 psi

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
brian, they actually do ! dandymax from the org is here, he got the EU installed today, and the chariot flat out hauls !
that is the coolest/funniest thing i have read in a while, that is flat out bad ***. I would love to come see kiwiland one day. Friend lived there for a few years and loved it.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Maxima.Org's Official Lurker

Old 02-12-2007, 09:07 AM

First impressions after the install:
Sounds awesome!! The drone from the exhaust while cruising b/w 2-3k however is too loud for my taste, but I'll wait to see how it sounds in 2 weeks (quieter i hope). I didn't get a lot of time on the butt dyno on some quiet roads to really feel the performance difference, i'll give it a shot tonight.

One issue I have now is I've got code 0703 (catalytic converter) popping up. I reset it yesterday, so I'll have to wait and see if it comes back...Anyone know what I can do to keep it from coming back?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:09 AM

Yes its upside down, don't ask lol
Old 02-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2 MaXiMuS 4
One issue I have now is I've got code 0703 (catalytic converter) popping up. I reset it yesterday, so I'll have to wait and see if it comes back...Anyone know what I can do to keep it from coming back?
o2 simulator, but the headers shouldn't make your post primary cat o2 sensor throw a code. either your cat is actually bad, or you have an exhaust leak (highly unlikely, after watching your video). either way an o2 sim will make it go away.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Maxima.Org Bishes

I'm highly interested in seeing more Vid in the Day Time any DT Videos? I think of buyinh Headers
Old 02-12-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
the chariot runs like a bat out of hail on steroids!
good to hear! keep us updated. CP Headers + 00vi + EU =
Old 02-12-2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by jac121479
o2 simulator, but the headers shouldn't make your post primary cat o2 sensor throw a code. either your cat is actually bad, or you have an exhaust leak (highly unlikely, after watching your video). either way an o2 sim will make it go away.
the cat is brand new from brian; i had the secondaries extended and installed into the bpipe, maybe the readings aren't normal? I used this setup to avoid using o2 sims, because i wanted to try and keep an oem setup...
Old 02-12-2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by MAXDADDY98
I'm highly interested in seeing more Vid in the Day Time any DT Videos? I think of buyinh Headers
um, just out of curiousity, how will day time vids make a difference with the sound of the exhaust compared to night time vids?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 PM

ah, didn't realize you're a CA Spec. i would check the wiring for which ever secondary is thowing the code.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:32 AM
Black Lion

First impressions after the install:
Sounds awesome!! The drone from the exhaust while cruising b/w 2-3k however is too loud for my taste, but I'll wait to see how it sounds in 2 weeks (quieter i hope). I didn't get a lot of time on the butt dyno on some quiet roads to really feel the performance difference, i'll give it a shot tonight.

nice! you finally got this installed glad you are happy with it. did you get brians complete setup for the exhaust?. im just wondering cause with just the catback(i have the fast cat to) I hardly any drone,so maybe the headers add some Drone. any feed back from those that had the catback first, then later added the headers?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Maxima.Org Bishes

um, just out of curiousity, how will day time vids make a difference with the sound of the exhaust compared to night time vids?

Watching a Vid upside down is not worth posting and I would like to see a DT Vid just out of curiousity. I know Ceasar has one I just can't find it
Old 02-16-2007, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
nice! you finally got this installed glad you are happy with it. did you get brians complete setup for the exhaust?. im just wondering cause with just the catback(i have the fast cat to) I hardly any drone,so maybe the headers add some Drone. any feed back from those that had the catback first, then later added the headers?
I have Brian's complete setup headers ->muffler. I'm just hoping after the break-in period it'll become more tolerable. It only happens in the 2-2.5k range...
Old 02-16-2007, 09:29 AM

mine seems to be quieting down some since the install. not sure how the cattman cattback is but w/ my Apexi WS it's down to a low roar in that range.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:48 AM
Black Lion

I have Brian's complete setup headers ->muffler. I'm just hoping after the break-in period it'll become more tolerable. It only happens in the 2-2.5k range...
im quite surprized i thought it would give it a nice sporty sound like the G35 coupe. is it anything like that? or louder?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:21 AM

im quite surprized i thought it would give it a nice sporty sound like the G35 coupe. is it anything like that? or louder?
on constant acceleration and low rpm cruising (around1-1.5k) it sounds very sporty and refined like an infiniti. In the 2-2.5k range the cabin vibrates from the drone. I'm not sure what that sounds like from outside the vehicle though...
Old 02-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I'll just point out that there is nothing more subjective than sound; 10 different people will react to exactly the same sound in 10 different ways. Over time, we try to design our exhaust parts to appeal to the broadest "center" of our market, but inevitably, a few will think the result is too quiet, and a few will find it too loud.

The only way to avoid anyone thinking its too loud would be to use a muffler that's so restrictive that it would kill the performance. That's not our priorty.

Brian
Old 02-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Black Lion

on constant acceleration and low rpm cruising (around1-1.5k) it sounds very sporty and refined like an infiniti. In the 2-2.5k range the cabin vibrates from the drone. I'm not sure what that sounds like from outside the vehicle though...

hmm i guess its something we have to live with.I'll give you my feedback when i get mine. Enjoy the ride!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:24 PM

hmm i guess its something we have to live with.I'll give you my feedback when i get mine. Enjoy the ride!
it's not something i have to live with. it's something i can enjoy! see post #95.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

I'll just point out that there is nothing more subjective than sound; 10 different people will react to exactly the same sound in 10 different ways. Over time, we try to design our exhaust parts to appeal to the broadest "center" of our market, but inevitably, a few will think the result is too quiet, and a few will find it too loud.

The only way to avoid anyone thinking its too loud would be to use a muffler that's so restrictive that it would kill the performance. That's not our priorty.

Brian
This post has my heartiest endorsement.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Black Lion

it's not something i have to live with. it's something i can enjoy! see post #95.
i was refering to 2 maximus4
Old 02-22-2007, 07:33 AM

gotcha, when you said "we" it sounded like you meant everyone with headers.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 AM
Black Lion

gotcha, when you said "we" it sounded like you meant everyone with headers.
sorry for the confusion!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I like Maximas

I recently did a headers comparison,
might find this interesting

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=20592
Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by vipervadim
I recently did a headers comparison,
might find this interesting

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=20592

Wow, you put a lot of work into this, nice effort! I'd like to make a few additional observations.

1. First, I can't expect someone to go out and buy a new Cattman header set to write a review, but one of our current headers would look good there, or at least a new set to compare with the others. The Cattman product shown is a used header and not only a design that's no longer in production, plus this is one of the crudest early versions of that system (slab head flanges, ugh!). Have to say, it definitely looked better after being painted!

This what our current header design look like. We've incorporated quite a few improvements since the set you reviewed, plus (and this is a huge plus) the company that's making them is about 10,000x more reliable on build quality and production schedules. Here they are:

Check out those sleek head flanges, the extra length US-made flex section, the beautiful TIG welding (OK, I'll admit, its too small to see the welding), the thick 16 gauge 304 stainless tubing from the US-based Rath Mill, those beautiful 3-1 and 2-1 collectors (collectors are a big part of performance, try to find anything like these on other parts, you won't), and a beautifully machined EGR port that should be on exhibit in an industrial museum. Whoa, better stop before I get carried away, but check out the skid plate under the y-pipe's equalizing loop...

2. Second, the headers made by my mates in New Zealand have been in production for almost 10 years, so I believe that good Kiwi ingenuity was the first to market with a Maxima header (we imported these previous to making our own s/s design in the States).

3. Regarding OBX headers, the O2 sensors are not in the appropriate position, they should be at the base of the 3-1 collector, not way below. Not sure why there are four, if the secondary sensors are screwed in at that spot, there will be two instant ECU codes, so that is baffling. You'd have to find plugs for the two ports that weren't used, and then wire in an O2 simulator.

The flex between the two manifolds is only there for installation purposes so the y-pipe does not have to be built to fit precisely. There is no flexing that takes place there once its installed on the engine. The primary flex is too short, increasing the risk of premature failure.

I agree with your point about the undersized tubing on the Y, that really stands out. The area of OBX's 2.125" tubing cross section is about 3.5 square inches, but the cross section of a 2.5" tube (like on the Cattman or Hotshot) is 4.9 square inches, 40% more cross-sectional area than the OBX. I'm wondering if the OBX design was originally designed oversears for the VQ20DE motor with tubing that size.

4. I have nothing bad to say about Hotshot headers, but their mild steel, MIG-welded headers were never in quite the same league as the stainless steel, TIG-welded Cattman parts.

5. I notice that you don't discuss materials, which shouldn't be overlooked because they are critical to durability and performance. Its useful to touch upon the advantages of stainless over mild steel (check this out - Burns Stainless tech article).

Materials thickness - particularly the gauge of tubing. A caliper can be used to check the thickness of the stainless steel in the tubing walls. Thin-walled imported steel - even stainless steel - is subject to premature cracking.

Also worthwile to discuss the relative merits of TIG-welding over MIG-welding. This makes a lot of difference in header durability (and production cost), and even performance (check out the intrusions into the exhaust stream from MIG-welding).

Just my $0.02.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 03-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Brian,

Great comments. IMO, you should put them in the sticky as well....

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....62#post5554062
Old 03-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Man headers sound awesome!!! Brian are you going to make headers for other Nissans like the 6th Maxima, Z, G, or possibly even the Altima? I'm kinda deciding between the 5.5 gen, 6gen and the 05 Altima. I don't like the aftermarket support for the Altima so far and your full exhaust setup i've seen on your site only goes up to 03.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:03 PM

any dyno comparison between the different headers available??????
Old 03-03-2007, 06:27 AM

so ur saying that the headers only work with the Cali Spec cars?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by 97MaximaSE97
Man headers sound awesome!!! Brian are you going to make headers for other Nissans like the 6th Maxima, Z, G, or possibly even the Altima? I'm kinda deciding between the 5.5 gen, 6gen and the 05 Altima. I don't like the aftermarket support for the Altima so far and your full exhaust setup i've seen on your site only goes up to 03.

We've already begun our header/y-pipe/cat project for the 04-06 Maxima (y-pipe will include one of our FastCats, and will be available before the header manifolds. I expect we'll try to do something for the Altima too, as a spin-off of that project.

I'll note that we make a great catback now for the 04-06 (and possibly 07) Maxima, and are getting ready to do the same thing for the 02-06 V6 Altima.

Gs and Zs? Somewhat less likely, I think. We're just not known in those markets, and there is so much competition for the Z stuff.

Thanks for your support and encouragement!

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 03-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Under the radar

Ha now i just need 900 bucks to get rid of those dam precats in my headers.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Max_Out
Ha now i just need 900 bucks to get rid of those dam precats in my headers.
Only the '99 cali-spec's had a precat in the front exhaust manifold.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Under the radar

Originally Posted by nismology
Only the '99 cali-spec's had a precat in the front exhaust manifold.

Yup your exactly right... hence why i want headers.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by maximus_pr
any dyno comparison between the different headers available??????

That would be great, but stop and think about what would be required to do it correctly. The bottom line is to use a protocol that controls for as many variables as possible, so that the testing is done consistently and the results are comparable with each other.

The only way to accurately compare a group of headers (or any other hp-related parts) using dyno runs is to do a series of header intallations on the same car, one a day, back-to-back, on the same tank of gas, using the same dyno, and the same (well trained) technician doing the tiedown and dyno run protocols exactly the same way each time, preferably about the same time each morning (not afternoon), before 9-10am while the air's still a little denser.

Sound like a bunch of hooey? Its not, and comparing numbers generated by anything less than this methodology is useless. If there is more than one car involved, or testing is done over weeks or months rather than back-to-back days, or one day is bright and sunny with high pressure and the next has the barometer in the bucket with bad weather moving in, the results cannot be compared to each other.

The algorhythms in the dyno software that are supposed to adjust for altitude, weather, etc. are crap, and typically the dyno installation isn't even set up to properly incorporate temperature, baromatric pressure and humidity (yep, that matters too), so the tester has to make sure one dyno day will be "reasonably" comparable with the other (obviously no two days will be exactly the same, I just mean they shouldn't be radically different). [I'll note that inputting a higher altitude is the most common way of "cheating" dyno runs, I've seen it many times.]

FWIW, the really intense motorsport development types (like JWT) would laugh at my methodology and say its way too sloppy for actual parts tuning and development - they're trying to control for variables that I don't even understand. Be that as it may, the method I suggest can be done by amateurs on commercial dyno facilities, and it will produce a "pretty good" basis for comparing performance. The major variable I don't mention is weather and barometric pressure conditions, so I'd just say that the weather (temp and atmospheric pressure) should be relatively consistant during the dyno series.

After all the runs are done, ignore the pretty charts and import the numeric runfiles to a spreadsheet and properly analyze the differences under the curve, compare average power over useful rpm ranges, etc., and issue a useful report based on meaningful data.

Anyway, back to the beginning. Analyzing power the way I've outlined can be done, but not easily or cheaply. It's rigorous enough when simply comparing two things (stock vs headers, or one brand of headers vs another), but trying to properly analyze several different parts so the results are comparable really gets complicated - time and expense multiply almost exponentially...

But doing it improperly is worse than not doing it at all, because the results will not be accurate, and very likely misleading.

Brian
Old 03-04-2007, 11:57 AM

But doing it improperly is worse than not doing it at all, because the results will not be accurate, and very likely misleading.
Amen.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

To address a couple of things...

No, the headers aren't just for CA/NLEV Maximas, the basic design fits all 95-03 Maximas (and 95-04 I30/I35). Since the 2001 AE and the 2002/03 Maximas don't have an EGR valve, we make a version for those years that does not have an EGR port on the back manifold.

Actually, the 1999 and 2000 Maximas with CA/NLEV emissions and all 2001s have a seperate front precat (not a part of the manifold or the y-pipe), and of course the rear precat is integrated with the y-pipe in all 95-01 Maximas. The 02/03 Maximas and 02-04 I35s use a different setup; both precats are seperate components, not integrated with the y-pipe or manifolds.

Brian
Old 03-04-2007, 12:13 PM

That would be great, but stop and think about what would be required to do it correctly. The bottom line is to use a protocol that controls for as many variables as possible, so that the testing is done consistently and the results are comparable with each other.

The only way to accurately compare a group of headers (or any other hp-related parts) using dyno runs is to do a series of header intallations on the same car, one a day, back-to-back, on the same tank of gas, using the same dyno, and the same (well trained) technician doing the tiedown and dyno run protocols exactly the same each time, preferably about the same time each morning (not afternoon).

Sound like a bunch of hooey? Its not, and comparing numbers generated by anything less than this methodology is useless. If there is more than one car involved, or testing is done over weeks or months rather than back-to-back days, the results cannot be compared to each other.

FWIW, the really intense motorsport development types (like JWT) would laugh at my methodology and say its way too sloppy for actual parts tuning and development - they're trying to control for variables that I don't even understand. Be that as it may, the method I suggest can be done by amateurs on publicly-accessible dyno facilities, and it will produce a "pretty good" basis for comparing performance. The major variable I don't mention is weather and barometric pressure conditions, so I'd just say that the weather (temp and atmospheric pressure) should be relatively consistant during the dyno series.

After all the runs are done, ignore the pretty charts and import the numeric runfiles to a spreadsheet and properly analyze the differences under the curve, compare average power over useful rpm ranges, etc., and issue a useful report based on meaningful data.

Anyway, back to the beginning. Analyzing power the way I've outlined can be done, but not easily or cheaply. It's rigorous enough when simply comparing two things (stock vs headers, or one brand of headers vs another), but trying to properly analyze several different parts so the results are comparable really gets complicated - time and expense multiply almost exponentially...

Brian
i couldn't agree more but at least a comparison between at least 3 stock cars on same dyno,same day,same conditions as posible vs same 3 cars using the different headers avaliable(yours,obx,autochrome,considering hotshot is no longer available) should give us a closer idea to what each one can do and what buyers can expect from each one.

Don't get me wrong here I'm not trying to say your product is not good or anything like that but if I'm the one trying to convince potential buyers that mine is better than the others I'll be the first to try and do it.I think here you find plenty of people willing to let you use them cars,finding a dyno willing to let you use their dyno for little promo in return shouldn't be a problem either so whats left is buying the 2 other designs that should run for about $800 top for both.

Again my respects for you because you are one of the very few people developing and selling parts for our cars maybe not a very money rewarding business around considering our cars are not as popular as civic or an integra to name a few.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:09 PM

No, the headers aren't just for CA/NLEV Maximas, the basic design fits all 95-03 Maximas (and 95-04 I30/I35). Since the 2001 AE and the 2002/03 Maximas don't have an EGR valve, we make a version for those years that does not have an EGR port on the back manifold.
I wasn't saying it's only for California spec 99's. Since we're in the 4th generation forum i was stating which A32's have the precat integrated into the front exhaust manifold.
Actually, the 1999 and 2000 Maximas with CA/NLEV emissions and all 2001s have a seperate front precat (not a part of the manifold or the y-pipe), and of course the rear precat is integrated with the y-pipe in all 95-01 Maximas. The 02/03 Maximas and 02-04 I35s use a different setup; both precats are seperate components, not integrated with the y-pipe or manifolds.
All i meant was that you can't get rid of the front precat by just installing an aftermarket y-pipe on 1999 california spec models.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

We've already begun our header/y-pipe/cat project for the 04-06 Maxima (y-pipe will include one of our FastCats, and will be available before the header manifolds. I expect we'll try to do something for the Altima too, as a spin-off of that project.

I'll note that we make a great catback now for the 04-06 (and possibly 07) Maxima, and are getting ready to do the same thing for the 02-06 V6 Altima.

Gs and Zs? Somewhat less likely, I think. We're just not known in those markets, and there is so much competition for the Z stuff.

Thanks for your support and encouragement!

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Awesome!!!!!!!! I know that you make a great cattback for the 04 on up Maxima. Seriously any Maxima or Altima I get will have ONLY Cattman exhaust componets. The one I have on my 4th gen is soooooo nice it gets compliments from everyone who is into cars. When do you expect the have the 04 and up headers available? Also you said your fast cat will come with the y-pipe. Do you mean that there will be a fast cat inside the y-pipe or it will come with a seperate fast cat? I'm not too familiar with the 04 on up exhaust system. On the 02-03 your full exhaust elimates all cats except the main one. Is this the same for the 04+ full exhaust setup?

Quick Reply: Cattman headers