4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car has a mind of its own: locks 3 doors w/o using remote

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:15 PM

car has a mind of its own: locks 3 doors w/o using remote

i understand that by pushing the unlock button once it will unlock the drivers door, one more time will unlock the other 3, and by hitting the lock button it will lock all 4 doors. sounds simple enough.

i have recently noticed that my car has been locking the 3 doors (passenger and rear) by itself after i unlock it from time to time.

out of habit i always hit the unlock button 3 or 4 times because sometimes i'll throw something in the back seat and other times not. now i'll unlock my car and get in and then i hear the other doors lock, but not the drivers door.... the last time it happened i was holding the key itself in my hand and the remote was just hanging, so any possibility of hitting the lock button (which i don't think would do it anyway) was out of the question.

this happens intermittently, so i haven't found a way to reproduce it at will yet, but i have been noticing it happening more frequently (1-2 times a day).

i was thinking maybe the battery in the remote, but it's new within the last year. has my car grown a mind of its own, or am i just going crazy?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:37 PM

De ne ne ne de ne ne ne...you are in the TWILIGHT ZONE mate.

Most likely your battery or you push the button too hard and the button now is now half-depressed all the time (poor thing) and acts like that. My remote on my SE did that until Ireplaced it.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:55 PM

i have the same problem..

its the rods that control the locks.. its the driver side one.. if u notice when u use the remote to unlock the button on the door doesn pop out all the way.. its like halfway open and half way closed. then when u close the door it locks all...
Old 01-18-2007, 06:51 AM

thanks for the response, i'll be sure to check out the drivers door lock when i get in and try to catch it when it happens.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had the same problem since I got my max last year.. tends to happen more often on rainy days for me. I've searched the site and found a couple threads relating to it but no one seems to have figured it out. I assume it never locks your door, just the other three.. that's how mine works.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a similar issue

Hey i have a 95 maxima GLE. I bought a keyless entry module off of ebay. i just programmed it myself the standard way following these online forums. for some reason when i press unlock once the driver door doesnt open. when i press it twice the other three doors open but the driver door still doesnt open. same thing with locking. when i press lock once nothing happens, where as the driver door should lock. (right?) but when I press lock twice the back doors and the passenger door locks but not the driver door. guys any idea why this is hapening? module seem to be fine cos when i hold the unlock button down the front windows go down too.
HELP HELP HELP!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not sure on that one, I'm assuming it's an oem module. Did you try reprogramming it? Maybe the battery is low?

Originally Posted by bluegen1e
Hey i have a 95 maxima GLE. I bought a keyless entry module off of ebay. i just programmed it myself the standard way following these online forums. for some reason when i press unlock once the driver door doesnt open. when i press it twice the other three doors open but the driver door still doesnt open. same thing with locking. when i press lock once nothing happens, where as the driver door should lock. (right?) but when I press lock twice the back doors and the passenger door locks but not the driver door. guys any idea why this is hapening? module seem to be fine cos when i hold the unlock button down the front windows go down too.
HELP HELP HELP!!!