4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some suggestions on getting power behind the radio and A/C...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Still Learning

Need some suggestions on getting power behind the radio and A/C...

A couple days ago, my three of four bulbs for the climate control were dead. Instead of replacing them with new bulbs, I went LEDs (http://www.z3d.com/maxima/blueclimate.html) like I saw in the 4th gen how's.

In that well-written instruction, the author connected LEDs to the cigarette lighter, that makes the LEDs stay on even the headlights are not on. Pretty cool~
My concern is that I don't want them to be on during the day because it spent me a while to do the mod and I don't want to spend their "LED" life so quickly. Then where can I get the power for them? Someone has done anything like that?

I have 4 LEDs, in parallel, pulling ~64mA total. Each is hooked up its own 580 ohm resistor. I will need a safe 12V power supply. I thought about the ashtray, and that light was replaced with LED no too long ago. If I did so, it should be an easy one, two wires only. Adding these four to the LED on ashtray, I am looking at (64 + 20)mA. Will that wire hold?

The climate control unit? Hazard/Rear Defroster? Radio?

I appreciate any suggestions...... Thanks.......
Old 01-23-2007, 11:35 PM

if you follow the traces in the circuit board where the lights "plug" in to the climate control board, you can follow them to the connector, then hook up just the board to the car, turn on the lights and trial and error figure out which one of the two traces you just followed is positive and which is negative, then solder your two leads to the back side where the main connector is soldered on to the board

if that makes any sense