4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Xterra CD/Tape in a maxima for $50.00

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 06:34 AM

Hey, I just slapped a 2001 Xterra SE's CD/Tape player in my GXE. It worked like a charm. With the amp and bass tube it sounds great. It's not the best but, my pops is part of an Xterra club and so he got it from another member online for $50.00. The only problem was the power antenna because the Xterra's do not have power antennas. So now it only goes up and down when you turn the car on and off. There are a lot available if anyone wants a descent system for cheap. I just think it looks a lot better then a single din deck and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old 07-05-2001, 12:59 PM

pictures

Originally posted by Redcivic
Hey, I just slapped a 2001 Xterra SE's CD/Tape player in my GXE. It worked like a charm. With the amp and bass tube it sounds great. It's not the best but, my pops is part of an Xterra club and so he got it from another member online for $50.00. The only problem was the power antenna because the Xterra's do not have power antennas. So now it only goes up and down when you turn the car on and off. There are a lot available if anyone wants a descent system for cheap. I just think it looks a lot better then a single din deck and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
Do you have a picture of the system.....
Was it a straight plug in?????
Old 07-05-2001, 09:42 PM

I might be interested as well. You said this was tape and CD double din head unit?

-V
Old 07-05-2001, 10:23 PM

"So now it only goes up and down when you turn the car on and off"

What do you mean by this?

Does the max radio cut out?

Did it just bolt right in and did you have to make any modifications to the center sections?
Old 07-06-2001, 01:11 AM

Pics would be good to have. I may be interested.
Old 07-06-2001, 08:32 AM

I guess I could take some pics, I have been meaning too anyway I'm just too lazy to get them developed. But my sis just bought a digicam so maybe I'll borrow that. No I did not have to make any modifications. It's a double din model that looks similar to the CD/Tape in the SE. The only thing you need is an antenna adapter because the maxima antenna plug that goes in the back of the deck is different but I got that at bestbuy for $10.00. But everything else was plug and play. The maxima deck has a switch in it that tells the antenna to go up and down when the radio is turned off and on, and the XTerra's does not because the Xterra does not have a power antenna. I am sure there is a better way to do it but I just found a wire that only has power when the car is on and spliced into that. It works fine for me but it won't come down with the car on. It would be easy to install a switch if it bothered you though.