4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sad day today....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:32 PM

Sad day today....

So a couple of days ago when it was pretty cold.....i guess i went over a bump....n bam, my d2's did somthing bad....the next day i notice squeaking in the back left strut..i was like uh oh...no way.....so i tightened the top mount bolt last night n i guess it was so cold, it just snapped it..i was like damn......so today in the freezing cold, i took off the wheel n was going to look at the suspension. Once i took off the wheel i noticed that it was wet. I alreayd knew it wasn't water, it was the oil from the strut. So i had to go back to stock today. I never felt so sad before. My car feels like its floating and i felt no bumps. Made a turn n thought i was going to flip over......i almost cried seeing my car so high up.

Anyways, here's the question......how much is it to fix an aftermarket strut?? Can i just buy ONE? i'll call up D2 tomorrow...My brother told me around $200....just wondering if anyone here had blown an aftermarket one and what did you guys do??
Old 02-08-2007, 08:06 PM
I support for what?

Well that sucks. If you hadnt broke the mount bolt you could have left them on there. Are you talking about the bolt on the plate or the bolt that holds the strut and spring toghter? I rode on a blown D2 strut for about 4 months. I was still under warranty and got a new one sent. Contact UrbanImportInc through aim. All they will send is just the strut if that all you need and you will reuse all your other parts. It probably costs about $100 if that. I think someone said they were $50 for a replacement strut anyway.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:14 PM

it's just the bolt to the top mount. I was going to knock it out n replace it....its nothing big...so hym...only like $100....i got mine through crap.....the shop in NC...i was part of the first group deal where the guy ran off with the money n he had them shipped to the supplier n he was stuck with them..so we paid him directly......you remember how long the warranty is for hte d2's???
Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 AM

my ksports had a one year warranty. I keep managing to get blown damper's and i wouldnt recommend driving around one them blown because the load gets transferred to the NON- blown struts causing more wear on them. My warranty is expired at this point so whenever i blow one i put my stock suspension back on in a HURRY.
i thoguht d2's were basically identical to ksports. If they are selling damper's for 50 bucks thats a fantastic deal. 100 bucks is what ksport charges and thats not so fantastic in my opinion...i dont have 100 bucks to spend every couple months.
it sounds like you snapped one of the studs that holds the strut to the car, i think those hammer right out just like a wheel stud on your hub would.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:46 PM

yes, the studs hammer out just like the wheel studs. I just called up urban today, they charged me !00 + 15 shipping. N they're going to throw in the studs for free. But that's what i was thinking, so i'm back on stock shocks prob till march or so. But let me tell you, its so weird driving so high up......
Old 02-09-2007, 02:51 PM

trust me im in the same boat. (no pun intended)
i've had to swap back to stock suspension TWICE in the past month.
at first it feels smooth and kinda comfortable like i could relax a little more, but after awhile just running errands around town it gets really annoying when turning and accelerating.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:48 PM

but hey..look at it on the bright side..u were prob doing it 75 degree weather..n i was doing it in like 15 degree weather..heh