4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What are the symptons of spark plug OVERgapping?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:54 PM

What are the symptons of spark plug OVERgapping?

Hellow....

A few weeks ago I replaced the spark plugs on my own. Unfortunately, I got kinda lazy with the gapping of the spark plugs (I was forced to regap them since the Auto Zone idiots lied to me and gave me the wrong gap plugs). They're supposed to go to .044 and because the day was ending and I was losing natural light I hurriedly gapped them and ended up opening some of them too much.

To make the long story short: I overgapped the spark plugs that I put in my Maxima. What are the symptoms and consequences of this?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:08 PM

umm...misfiring is one..but taking out the spark plugs shouldn't be more than 15 min....so the whole thing really shouldn't take you more than an hour......what you can also do is get the RIGHT plugs, n return the ones you are using unless you threw the boxes away. Also, how did they give you the wrong plugs??? they must be really really retarted...
Old 02-18-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

weak spark, spark blow out, no spark... you would know
Old 02-18-2007, 07:46 PM

3. Gapping Since the gap size has a direct affect on the spark plug's tip temperature
and on the voltage necessary to ionize (light) the air/fuel mixture, careful attention is required. While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability
in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.
A spark plug's voltage requirement is directly proportionate to the gap size. The larger the gap, the more voltage is needed to bridge the gap. Most experienced tuners know that opening gaps up to present a larger spark to the air/fuel mixture maximizes burn efficiency. It is for this reason that most racers add high power ignition systems. The added power allows them to open the gap yet still provide a strong spark.
With this mind, many think the larger the gap the better. In fact, some aftermarket ignition systems boast that their systems can tolerate gaps that are extreme. Be wary of such claims. In most cases, the largest gap you can run may still be smaller than you think.

INFO FROM:http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...try=US#gapping
Old 03-25-2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
umm...misfiring is one..but taking out the spark plugs shouldn't be more than 15 min....so the whole thing really shouldn't take you more than an hour......what you can also do is get the RIGHT plugs, n return the ones you are using unless you threw the boxes away. Also, how did they give you the wrong plugs??? they must be really really retarted...

15 mins? Truly.. you must be a genious.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Thorby
15 mins? Truly.. you must be a genious.
No, maybe you're just that slow. prob takes 1-2 min to take the cover off. 5 min to unscrew all of the screws. 1 - 1 1/2 minutes on each plug. Thats WAY less than 15 min. Maybe you should time yourself next time before saying retarded things like above. Or watch someone who actually know what they're doing. I think you should step a way from your car and stop working on it. Seems to me you have NO clue whats going on.