4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima "versus" Lotus Elise

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:54 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Spaniard
Heres a clip of me rolling on a track day and encountering a Lotus Elise. A car that Ive been wishing I could own. Well the good news is that if you deck out your max to the max and drive at 9/10ths, you can hang with a Lotus driving at 8/10ths.

Cheers!

http://eleventenths.com/maxima/Lagun...se%20Dance.wmv

PS. pardon the grunts/etc- the adrenaline was flowing.. :-)
I would consider a point-by from anyone in an Elise a victory...that's for sure...

That track looks incredible, Watkins Glen was re-paving when I thought I could do that track, so, so far I've only done Pocono.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would love to go laguna on a regular basis (your lucky!)...problem being it's 450 miles each way, a huge deal/mission if I were to do it, which is why I am stuck running buttonwillow or willow springs...! nice vid, the one time I was at laguna, the candy striping on the infamous corkscrew is narly and really punishes the hell out of the steering! When I drove a friends s2000, almost lost it on the candy striping alone...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Conecarver

Great video and pics. Definately get some wider rims and tires and you'll shave off some seconds in the corners. (Assuming the body roll doesn't get too bad). What was your best lap time? I saw one around 1:56. That seems decent as the best MX-5 cup cars are run a 1:44. Great driving! You were definately outbraking that Elise who should've dove in the corners deeper than you.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:19 PM

Gonna make 1 post with a few replies; Im feeling chatty

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Great video and pics. Definately get some wider rims and tires and you'll shave off some seconds in the corners. (Assuming the body roll doesn't get too bad). What was your best lap time? I saw one around 1:56. That seems decent as the best MX-5 cup cars are run a 1:44. Great driving! You were definately outbraking that Elise who should've dove in the corners deeper than you.
Thanks Brian - Im gonna check through the laps that I have for the fastest of the 2 days... I think I might find one a second or so faster than what I did in that stretch.
Also you are right about the elise driver, he could have gone lots faster with that awesome car. Plus I dont think he was on R compound tires.. Lucky for me!

michaelnyden -

I wanna go to Willow Springs and California speedway really badly! I hear Willow Springs is fast :-)
Since you mention the burms at laguna... they have made them 'friendly' now... Actually Laguna is the track where I have made all but 1 of my mistakes - (1 time at Thunderhill I went off, this is before I had a video camera)
It makes for some pretty entertaining vids so Ill post those too-

So once I went in too hot to the corkscrew and tried to compensate by using the full width of the track only to find that the candy striping was very unfriendly...
http://eleventenths.com/maxima/mistakes/Dusty.mpg

another time I wanted to try oversteering so I tapped the brakes in mid-turn and well.. it got kinda crazy. Fun stuff tho
http://eleventenths.com/maxima/mistakes/halfspin.mpg

MorpheusZero -

Im actually seriously considering something like a swap or a turbo.
The engine seems to have started going through oil a bit fast now, so a new engine might be in the works after the next smog test (July)
My biggest worry is that a 3.5 swap seems to have some downsides with the electronics, so I might wind up only getting a few more HP than what I have with the VQ30DE 'maxxed'. However, if I can find a shop that knows how to set me up with an e-manage on the ECU I might be stoked.... Any comments on this are more than welcome cause I need to figure out what to do - 3.5 swap or new VQ30DE with S/C or Turbo (I know I should be asking in a diff forum but what the heck, might as well start asking now)
Old 02-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

with the 35, you'll be burning more oil on the track I hear...lol, unless you get one of those nifty baffled aftermarket oil pans for the 35...or you can just go straight to dry sump! yum!

in either case, I say you don't need much more power than what you have...elise's are fast, and he didn't pull on you that hard on the straights, I just think you need much wider ra-1's...

big willow is fast, (the international track), streets of willow is more technical...and is at more "sane" speeds...demands better cornering cars than the big track which demands high power...streets also has more elevation changes which makes things interesting...and of course "horse thief mile" I have never had the priviledge of running on...it is typically reserved for motorcycles and journalists/magazine tests, etc. it is the tighest and is much like a togue/mountain canyon layout...which huge elevation changes and much tighter turns...

as for buttonwillow, the one time I ran there, it was killer on my brakes...of course this was before I did some much needed upgrading, but nonetheless, that track is largely about who's got the most fade resistant brakes...!

in that half spin vid...looks like a great time you had there (moments like that aren't fun until immediately after, then you get a huge smile on your face)! times like that make me wish there was a proper aftermarket quick steering gear or steering rack replacement for us...
Old 02-27-2007, 05:14 AM
Conecarver

I like the wipers. The racer's universal sign for get out of my way I'm driving on the edge.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
I like the wipers. The racer's universal sign for get out of my way I'm driving on the edge.
Hehe yea, at the time I was really focused on seeing if there were cars coming and listening like mad for any "broken car" sounds from below :-)
Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spaniard
Heres a clip of me rolling on a track day and encountering a Lotus Elise. A car that Ive been wishing I could own. Well the good news is that if you deck out your max to the max and drive at 9/10ths, you can hang with a Lotus driving at 8/10ths.

Cheers!

http://eleventenths.com/maxima/Lagun...se%20Dance.wmv

PS. pardon the grunts/etc- the adrenaline was flowing.. :-)
oh man! what i would give to have your car! VERY NICE!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:46 PM

Hahaha I like the oversteering one... squueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllll llllllllllllllllll

You gotta give it some throttle in the middle of a slide..