4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car bucks...Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Shift_3.0

Car bucks...Is this normal?

I have a MT transmission and I notice that if I completely let go of the throttle, let the rpms drop to about 2k, once I press the gas again the car bucks instead of smoothly accelerating. Its a slight jerking and it seems to be related to letting go of the throttle because the jerking is not really there if Im letting the rpms drop but still keeping the foott on the gas pedal. My last car did the same thing, and Im wondering whether this is normal or just a tranny problem. I also noticed that my car whines pretty loud in first and second gear and maybe the other gears too, is this tranny related?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:04 AM
Sold

as far as the bucking goes, try to clean the throttle body, iac, and replace the fuel filter. That helped in mine.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:37 AM

check the wires going into the [plug that goes into the] MAF, they sometimes tend to come a little loose. use some solder and you're good to go. just a thought
Old 02-24-2007, 09:16 AM

Im pretty sure that its just how manual transmissions are. My dad has a brand new 2007 Civic 5spd and I know exactly what you mean. The car kinda jerks forward rather than smoothly accelerates like in an auto. It does it on the brand new car and on my 99 max. Im convinced that its just how manuals are made. However, if it is a really noticable jerk, try the methods above. Another method is to put the clutch in about 1/5 the way and hit the gas, then release the clutch, as it will balance out creating no jerk.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 AM

mine did that. replaced fuel injectors fixed it up good also my 4th coil was bad
Old 02-24-2007, 09:44 AM

I dont think thats normal, at 2k rpms it should not buck at all, i typically shift at 2k and drive under that in 5th alot, and never do i get any bucking. I would definately clean the throttle body, new fuel filter, air filter, oil, plugs, the works. It doesnt seem like something that would bother me, but if you still cant get it to stop then take to a tranny place an ask them to feel it.

Btw: does it do it when you put the clutch in and coast for a few seconds and then let the clutch up again, cuz that could just be whatever gear your in, try a higher gear and you get less jerkiness(me personally i downshift alot to get the jerkiness, i like to feel the power of the car).
Old 02-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Shift_3.0

Originally Posted by 97maximaman
I dont think thats normal, at 2k rpms it should not buck at all, i typically shift at 2k and drive under that in 5th alot, and never do i get any bucking. I would definately clean the throttle body, new fuel filter, air filter, oil, plugs, the works. It doesnt seem like something that would bother me, but if you still cant get it to stop then take to a tranny place an ask them to feel it.

Btw: does it do it when you put the clutch in and coast for a few seconds and then let the clutch up again, cuz that could just be whatever gear your in, try a higher gear and you get less jerkiness(me personally i downshift alot to get the jerkiness, i like to feel the power of the car).
the harshness of the jerks declines as the gears get higher. There is no noticeable jerk in 4th or 5th gear. Its really not anything terrible, I was just curious

You shift at 2k usually and drive under than in 5th gear? That is way too low in my car, there would be serious lag in 3d and forget about 4th. Optimal shifting in my car seems to be b/w 2.5 and 3.5. IDK, maybe you are in gas saving mode
Old 02-24-2007, 10:35 PM

Lol, yes i am in gas saving mode because im a college student and need to save money for tuition, so i keep it low. Actually i sometimes drive 30mph in 5th, which puts me at about 1000. Once in a while i get that rattling noise and i down shift. To be honest though, shifting lower makes very little difference in gas mileage, i may save 3mpg if that. Im just a very lax driver, i like to get through the gears and drive it like an auto.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Sold

also, you need to remember that auto's have a torque converter. The simple way that was explained to me is think of it like a large rubber band. It needs to "wind up" and then it will transfer power to the wheels. You can feel a bit of a "lag" almost when you drive an auto and pin it. It takes the t.c. some time to "wind up" and allow the power to transfer to the wheels. With a manual tranny, there is no t.c. and the power is applied more directly to the wheels. That's why sometimes you will have the jerky feeling.
It never really goes away, but you can help minimize the feeling by taking care of the above regular maintenance.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by JSMax
also, you need to remember that auto's have a torque converter. The simple way that was explained to me is think of it like a large rubber band. It needs to "wind up" and then it will transfer power to the wheels. You can feel a bit of a "lag" almost when you drive an auto and pin it. It takes the t.c. some time to "wind up" and allow the power to transfer to the wheels. With a manual tranny, there is no t.c. and the power is applied more directly to the wheels. That's why sometimes you will have the jerky feeling.
It never really goes away, but you can help minimize the feeling by taking care of the above regular maintenance.
Good writeup. Hopefully this can help others to understand a little better.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Definately good writeup, i've never driven auto so its new news to me, but it definately helps explain why my friends autos are smoother than my car.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 97maximaman
Definately good writeup, i've never driven auto so its new news to me, but it definately helps explain why my friends autos are smoother than my car.
An auto will always be smoother than a manual, until the tranny goes bad and starts slipping. The torque converter works to make the shifts smoother than any human can drive a manual.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:05 PM

i think it because of fwd my old bmw 325 rwd never had that i think it because the engine is sideways an moves more than rear wheel drive
Old 02-26-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by gen4maxrehab
i think it because of fwd my old bmw 325 rwd never had that i think it because the engine is sideways an moves more than rear wheel drive
this thread is 3 years old dude