4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Reinforcing front doors

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Reinforcing front doors

I am trying to reinforce my front passenger and driver seat doors.

I talked to a few tow truck drivers and they told me they've seen many early 4th gen maximas and I30s after serious accidents and the results were disastrous for the front occupants. The doors have no reinforcement and cave right in.

I figure I can do interior reinforcement by pulling off door trim and welding the stongest alloy 1" bars I can find across the door frame but not inside since there is no room. This is easy to do because I can cut out part of the door trim to make room. Basically 2 short bars will stick out from the door frame about 2" and then the long bar wii be welded across, sort of like a towel rack shape.

Does anyone have anything to add?
By the way I don't want to have my roll bar extend by the front doors because it makes egress and ingress too difficult.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 PM
4th Gen Parts King

THere is only one reinforcment in the door. It is in the middle of the door and hollow. I would just weld some stronger bars above and below the bar thats already in there.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by fanaticrockford
THere is only one reinforcment in the door. It is in the middle of the door and hollow. I would just weld some stronger bars above and below the bar thats already in there.
Do you think the new bars will interfer with the power windows? There isn't much room in there.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:40 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Originally Posted by i30krab
Do you think the new bars will interfer with the power windows? There isn't much room in there.
The only thing that would get in the way is the actual glass. I think there should be enough room yet to do something in there. Do you know which bar i'm refering to? It's on the inside of the outer door skin.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by i30krab
I am trying to reinforce my front passenger and driver seat doors.

I talked to a few tow truck drivers and they told me they've seen many early 4th gen maximas and I30s after serious accidents and the results were disastrous for the front occupants. The doors have no reinforcement and cave right in.

I figure I can do interior reinforcement by pulling off door trim and welding the stongest alloy 1" bars I can find across the door frame but not inside since there is no room. This is easy to do because I can cut out part of the door trim to make room. Basically 2 short bars will stick out from the door frame about 2" and then the long bar wii be welded across, sort of like a towel rack shape.

Does anyone have anything to add?

By the way I don't want to have my roll bar extend by the front doors because it makes egress and ingress too difficult.

I'm a real tard!

I went to a shop today and they pointed out I already have a 6 point roll bar and all they have to do is run a low bar diagonally from the side of the drivers hoop to the base of the firewall area and weld it to a steel reinforcement.
Then they will hinge the bar for easy in and out.

You can call me paranoid but these crazy drivers in Vegas are always running red lights and stop signs and broad siding other cars.
The trouble with driving older cars is the lack of current safety technology like side air bags and curtains. As I previously said the 95 and 96 4th gens had very poor results when crash tested especially from the side.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:57 PM

YUP you are correct about 95 and 96, here are the official results with pics for those who are interested

here is a 95 max :
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sa...n&model=Maxima

here is the 97:
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sa...n&model=Maxima

See any difference?