4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

well i guess i finally did it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:11 AM

well i guess i finally did it.

almost everyone i know has locked their keys inside their cars at one point or another. I have been immune to that, up untill now at least. I get in the house today after dropping my sister off at school and as the ussual routine check i check fro keys cell and wallet. Cell and wallet show up but the key is nowhere to be found. Ive figure maybe i dropped it somewhere.... ive searched everywhere, and the only reasonable answer thats left is the car. I need to get in to that car today !!!! I dont really want to pay someone 50 $ to do it. Is there any trick that i do use to open up the doors. my Alarm system is already disabled from before (i took the fuse out). Windows are shut tight, the trunk has everything shaved, including the keyhole. So cant get in from there. I could probably get under the hood.

If some one please could help me that car has to move today !!! Thnx in advance.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:21 AM

call the locksmith
Old 03-06-2007, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by jltibbs
call the locksmith

Excuse my idiocracy but what exacly is he going to do ? besides he'd probably charge me up the ***...

i was thinking, maybe i could use some leverage to pull the door out enough so i can fit a stick in there and than try to open it that way. God i just really hope that key is In the car cause if its not... than im in deep ****.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:29 AM

are the locks on the side of the car shaved as well? if not, he can pick them. if you try and pry the door to reach in with anything, you will probably damage the door. there's really nothing else to do. there's no spare key anywhere? i have a spare at my house and at my parents house just in case that prob arises.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:38 AM

Irony of it i was just thinking about a spare key, just for the door lock.... cause ofcourse im too cheap to spend 150 $ on a freakin key. Oh well ill figure something out.... Does anyone know how to pick a lock ?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:17 AM

what is he going to do? he is going to drive a plastic wedge into the drivers side door. plastic so as not to scratch the paint. then once the gap is large enough, he is going ot use a long rod (or similar) to hit your power unlock button and unlock your doors. I have done this to a couple of maximas. Takes patience. You can use a coat hanger but have to be very patient and have to curve the hanger properly so it does not flex too much when you try to hit the unlock button. again WATCH THE PAINT. I used a large flathead screwdriver wrapped up in an old t-shirt. you dont have to worry about bending the door. be careful about tearing your weather stripping. good luck. but for $50 I would just pay the professional.

and picking a lock without the proper tool will be much more than a locksmith since you will probably end up buying yourself a new lock cylinder.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:22 AM

a lock smith will come with pumps and place them strategically around the door and pump it up enough to create enough space to wiggle a device in an un lock the door. No damage, no paint loss.

$30 it cost me one time, better than calling a family member 45 minutes away to bring me an extra key
Old 03-06-2007, 06:26 AM
maxima985spd

call AAA they will cover most of the locksmith charges.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MDeezy
a lock smith will come with pumps and place them strategically around the door and pump it up enough to create enough space to wiggle a device in an un lock the door. No damage, no paint loss.

$30 it cost me one time, better than calling a family member 45 minutes away to bring me an extra key

Exactly what I went through, price and all. After you see what they did, I don't think my car is very safe from theft. Took him less than 5 mins tog et it done too.

Happened to me twice in my A32 so far
Old 03-06-2007, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
what is he going to do? he is going to drive a plastic wedge into the drivers side door. plastic so as not to scratch the paint. then once the gap is large enough, he is going ot use a long rod (or similar) to hit your power unlock button and unlock your doors. I have done this to a couple of maximas. Takes patience. You can use a coat hanger but have to be very patient and have to curve the hanger properly so it does not flex too much when you try to hit the unlock button. again WATCH THE PAINT. I used a large flathead screwdriver wrapped up in an old t-shirt. you dont have to worry about bending the door. be careful about tearing your weather stripping. good luck. but for $50 I would just pay the professional.

and picking a lock without the proper tool will be much more than a locksmith since you will probably end up buying yourself a new lock cylinder.
haha thats what i just did, i used a huge screw driver to pry the door open a little and used an antena of a 96 Galant works like a charm. But, my ****in key isnt there !!!! I dont get it... it was in my hand and out of no where it just dissapeared.... I remember i felt it in my hand and than all of a sudden the feeling was gone i look down at my hand and the key isnt there. ehh Thnx for your replys guys their much apriciated.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:31 AM

to prevent this from happening, i have spare keys in my wallet..... not a bad idea in my opinion.. good luck
Old 03-06-2007, 07:09 AM

Took be about an hour with a coat hanger. Not a fun time. Had to keep bending it. Felt good when I finally got in though.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:54 AM

go to break.com and look for the opening car with tennis ball video

Watch the video for instructions

You basically take any key or object that resembles a key, heat it up, make a hole in tennis ball in shape of it ( to make a slit)

Then put the slit to the lock of your car and quickly apply pressure to the tennis ball. ( you are trying to pump air in the lock)

It worked in the video, I have yet to try it
Old 03-06-2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by DanGK
go to break.com and look for the opening car with tennis ball video

Watch the video for instructions

You basically take any key or object that resembles a key, heat it up, make a hole in tennis ball in shape of it ( to make a slit)

Then put the slit to the lock of your car and quickly apply pressure to the tennis ball. ( you are trying to pump air in the lock)

It worked in the video, I have yet to try it

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...p/t304032.html
Old 03-06-2007, 09:27 AM

Spare key is a great idea.... but i didnt lock the key inside.... i LOST IT ! I just called nissan and they siad that they dont have the code my my key i have to call an out of state dealer that originaly sold the car. Now i gotta tow the car to nissan, get code for the key buy another key program it arh !!!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:08 PM

If you don't mind me asking, do you use separate keys for your ignition and door locks? I mean how could the key not be in there? How did you drive the car home XD

I've had the same problem with my car, I have a Black Widow alarm system, and after 20 seconds with all the doors closed and the car not on it will lock the doors. So once while I was getting my car jumped, I accidentally closed the door, hooked up the batteries and tried to get back in to find myself with a brand new problem -_-

Anyway, I solved it by getting a spare and keeping it in my wallet so that as long as I don't lose my wallet I'm good. My mother also tried this thing, it was a magnetic case that held a key and you stuck inside your wheel well. It worked well but i think after some in climate weather it fell off which is no good.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:16 PM
PM me for LCA's!

You might try calling a dealer and having a new key cut. They can look it up based on your vin. I've had to do it before. It cost me the price of a key.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:38 PM

I took the key out of the ignition..... had it in my hand ... i felt the key in my hand, than out of nowhere i felt emptyness i look down and there is no key.

I did call the dealer... they said they dont have the code for the key. If i want another one made i need to call the dealer who sold the car originaly or have a locksmith take a look at it. Eitherway the key was found. Some how mysteriously it ended up way down my driveway. I was overwhelmed when i drove the car. It was heavenly lol. Thnx for your help guys.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I took a blank key to the dealer with a vin and they cut it for free. You should trade ur max in for an envoy, my dad had one and they can unlock the doors with magic, or by satelite, something like that....
Old 03-07-2007, 11:23 AM

You 95-98 guys have it lucky tho. The 99 came with a chip in the key so that you need the master key to start the car. When I bought my car it only came with one key so if I loose it I am screwed. For a 95-98 you can just bring the key to the hardware store and have them make a duplicate for $5 or $10. The replacement key w/ a chip for a 99 is $150 only at the Nissan dealership.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
100 posts/7 years - woot!

ebay has aftermarket transponder keys, with an application for 99 max's, for about $30 shipped. A locksmith (or dealer) can program the key for about $95. Not great, but cheaper than buying the overpriced OEM Nissan key (which is prone to having the top crack when dropped on the ground the wrong way).
Old 03-07-2007, 11:54 AM
maxima985spd

i think the 95-98 key is really ugly. can the 99 key work with a 98 ignition (without programming it of course)?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima570
I took a blank key to the dealer with a vin and they cut it for free. You should trade ur max in for an envoy, my dad had one and they can unlock the doors with magic, or by satelite, something like that....
Its called OnStar and you pay a monthly fee for it. Yes the 99 key will for with a 98 if cut for it.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:19 PM

Hahah I definitly like the 99 key better but your lucky yours doesnt have a chip. I do not see why you couldn't get a 99 key and have it cut to your car. You'll pay alot for the key...if its really worth it to you.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
Its called OnStar and you pay a monthly fee for it. Yes the 99 key will for with a 98 if cut for it.
well DUHH it was a joke, magic? get it? lol thanks for the effort though
Old 03-07-2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by SNOMAX
You might try calling a dealer and having a new key cut. They can look it up based on your vin. I've had to do it before. It cost me the price of a key.
thats what i would do...that way you have an extra....
Old 03-08-2007, 04:59 AM

pry the door and stick a hanger in and push the lock up thats what i did
Old 03-08-2007, 06:51 AM
Kevlo for President

How the **** do you pry the door open w/o damaging it? Are you guys really that cheap that you can't call a locksmith? Hell over here the local cops will even come help you out. Progressive will send a locksmith if you don't want to pay.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:27 PM

triple AAA can open ur door by using a long thin metal bar that people use to break into cars...but if you lose the key, you can def give them the vin for the code for the chip....if they need to know how to cut the key, then take the trunk lock with you......there's a code o nthe trunk lock......My bro lost the key to our 91 accord like 10 years back while white water rating 2 1.2 hours away....locksmith came..charged us $80....n make us a key by using the code from the trunk.....
Old 03-08-2007, 09:57 PM

The wonder of keyless entry - I can't get into my car unless I unlock it with the key fob
Old 03-09-2007, 06:21 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Check please...