4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hickuping lagging studdering, bogging down help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:22 PM

hickuping lagging studdering, bogging down help please!!

my car has been hickuping and its been lagging and its been studdering, mainly in the cold and when i put gas in my car it does it and also after ive been driving for a long time (running my car for long periods of time) also every now and then when i push my clutch in when im normal driving it will occassionally die on me. right after i mash the pedal down and ill come to a stop light after doing a good pull throughout my gears it will sometimes die on my to it almost seems like my fuel pump cannot keep up and my car dies from the lack of fuel, i did a half assed dygonistics check at checker auto and it told me my camshaft position sensor was bad along with a knock sensor and the guy at checker told me that the camshaft position sensor could be causing the lagging but me and my buddies all think its a fuel pump, my question is: would a fuel pump throw codes? also for the record its not a fuel filter because i replaced it. also could it be:

spark plugs
fuel pressure regulator
injector misfire/cylinder misfire
catolitic converter?
injector(s) clogged?

im honistly not sure guys so please help me out because i dont want to throw parts at my car i dont have the money to do that and i want to know for sure whats going on because its been doing it for about 3 months now

please please please help me!!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had the same kind of problems. it was the maf sensor. but i got a code for it. have u checked for the code yourself yet?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:11 PM

yea i have, i did the half assed dignostics test myself
Old 03-17-2007, 11:55 PM

hmm... the problem seems clearly a bad MAF sensor, i had the same problem, but it turned on the CEL... i did the voltage test (how to stickys) and all the volts were fine. i replaced the MAF sensor and the problem was gone. try knocking on the MAF sensor and if the car shuts off the MAF sensor is bad. if it doesn't shut off try playing around with the MAF wire connector, but dont mess it up... if that turns of the car than it's just bad wiring.

normally if your fuel pump is bad... it will die and the car won't start back on. unless if it is just bad wires, than your call will start when the connection is good and work until the connection is loose again. but if you're able to turn the car back on right away, i dont think it's the wires or pump.

i think its most likely the MAF sensor wire connector. check if it is plugged and locked in properly. a loose connector will also cause it to turn off.

unplug the MAF sensor and drive around... see what happens. is it similar to what happens when u drive normally?

check out the sticky's for MAF. it'll help a lot.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:11 PM

alright heres what i did i went up to autozone today and the guy there told me it was the maf too and we were there conversing for a good hour about my car and hes almost possitive its the maf too we did the screwdriver test on it and it stumbled a bit and if we kept knocking on it it would eventually die and me and my friends also messed around with the connection and when we moved it around it would studder stumble and die also so what would it be? and if it is the wire connections where do i get another connection or what do i do to fix that, im going out to the junk yard tomarrow to try and find new maf should i look for the wires and connection too?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 AM

i tried a few junkyards... couldn't even find a 4th gen... i got my new MAF sensor from ebay and it cost me about $220 including shipping and customs to canada. u can get a used one for about $100 or $150 on ebay... mayb less... i had no other option when i needed mine...
Old 03-19-2007, 05:31 AM

i had that same problem a while back and it was my injector coil. check the engine codes
Old 03-19-2007, 07:14 AM

yea i did check the engine codes and i threw two codes, maf and knock sensor would a injector coil throw a code?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by MaxiiMa
iu can get a used one for about $100 or $150 on ebay... mayb less
whats the maximum milage i should buy a used one for 60k 70k etc.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You might also want to clean out your throttle body. I was having the same problems and I would have to keep my car at abuot 2k to keep it from dying on me especially around corners. It was scary driving my car. Cleaning the TB should be a frequent thing to do. I do it when I change my oil. It just assures me that when I got around the next corner that my car wont die and have me possibly run into something. Just take off all of your intake pieces going to your TB. (I know your just fixing your MAF but you should do this just to make sure) Have your buddy holding the butterfly valve open. MAKE SURE CAR IS OFF Then take a brand new clean cloth and spray a good amount of Carb Spray or Intake Cleaner on the to towel use 3 fingers and get in there as well as you can. Then wait for about 10 minutes becuase you sure do not want that stuff firing in your cylinders when you start the car up it'll hit rev limiter and scare the crap out of you at the same time. Then put your intake back on. You will also notice a much smoother idle. Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:59 PM

yea man thanks alot for the tips ive always done it with my car on and now i know, i got the crc stuff all of you were talking about in a different thread i posted and i cleaned my hot plate and hot wires then i sprayed some on my connections and i took apart the top of my maf and found that the electrodes were broken and i did my best to push them tight back on just until i can get a sodering gun and permanitly get them on and my car started to run fine again (now i dont want to jynx it but im really happy that my car is running smooth for the first time in about 3 or 4 months honist to god) but that you soo much guys for helpin me out.

-Eric