4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sometimes Shifter gets stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:53 PM

Sometimes Shifter gets stuck?

only occurs at complete stop, normal driving is fine

5 speed...sometimes when i try to shift into reverse, it doesnt go in, so i have to let off of the clutch, and then try again and it'll work. like its "blocked" the first time, sometimes this happens in first gear too, like i said all it takes to get it into gear is for me to let off the clutch and try again

wut is this and will it progress into something much worse?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Maintenance Monster

It's an indication of wear or slight damage in the tranny shifting components. It's normal for a higher mileage car, although a couple of bad shifts can cause this kind of damage instantly.

As long as you don't grind your shifts, and don't force it into gear, it will go on like this for a very long time. If you want snappy bimmer like shifting, you'll have to spend a lot of money to improve it.

I should not fail to mention though that replacing the shifter bushing (under the shifter lever, above the catalytic converter) can substantially help smooth shifts. So will changing to a GL-4 75w-90 synthetic gear oil like Redline MT-90 or Amsoil MTG.

Dave
Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM

How much would it be to replace the shifter bushing? And where can it be bought from?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:37 PM

you may also have a problem with the syncronizer(s) for 1st & reverse.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
It's an indication of wear or slight damage in the tranny shifting components. It's normal for a higher mileage car, although a couple of bad shifts can cause this kind of damage instantly.

As long as you don't grind your shifts, and don't force it into gear, it will go on like this for a very long time. If you want snappy bimmer like shifting, you'll have to spend a lot of money to improve it.

I should not fail to mention though that replacing the shifter bushing (under the shifter lever, above the catalytic converter) can substantially help smooth shifts. So will changing to a GL-4 75w-90 synthetic gear oil like Redline MT-90 or Amsoil MTG.

Dave

How would I go about changing my gear oil?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85

5 speed...sometimes when i try to shift into reverse, it doesnt go in, so i have to let off of the clutch, and then try again and it'll work. like its "blocked" the first time, sometimes this happens in first gear too, like i said all it takes to get it into gear is for me to let off the clutch and try again

i'm having the same problem....since i bought the car...=/ 3rd gear sometimes get stuck as well wen im driving..
Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ray_289
How would I go about changing my gear oil?

Same question
Old 03-20-2007, 06:11 PM

I think reverse does not have a synchro. I've been in other cars where every once in a while it won't go into reverse. I am not an expert but I always just assumed it was a common thing. It is still anoying though. My transmission does it... courtesy of the clear lake nissan stealership giving me my car back with half the transmission fluid missing and me driving around for 300 miles not knowing.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:20 PM

yea i dont think reverse has a syncro either. i think i might be a floating gear. but i ment the 3rd gear syncro may have a problem.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:42 PM
maxima985spd

i have that reverse problem. all i do is let up on the clutch and im good

Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 AM

I have that same problem in reverse....my dad started having that same problem shortly after he bought his 1995 Maxima NEW! For me, I've found that if it does not want to go into reverse, I just put it into first, roll the car a tiny bit forward, and then bam, goes into reverse every time. I sometimes have issue with first as well, but not nearly as often as reverse. I can't wait to get my Amsoil gear oil and Larrio bushing, I'm tired of this ****ty tranny!
Old 03-21-2007, 05:58 AM

Same thing with the reverse here, let out the clutch a little and it goes in. I'm assuming that as long as I'm carefull to not grind this really isn't something to worry about?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Maintenance Monster

The thing with reverse gear is normal.

Reverse does have a synchro, however it also involves sliding a gear into mesh. So on a slow roll you shouldn't have the shifting problem, but occasionally when you're not moving you will because the gear teeth line up exactly. This is perfectly normal for this and many other manual trannys. If it doesn't like going into Reverse, just put it in neutral, clutch out, clutch in, and try again. 98% of the time that gets the gear teeth to misalign and slip smoothly into mesh.

Dave
Old 03-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85

Steven meng!!!!

Ok, my tranny is just fine internally and I sometimes have his sympthoms. Definatly getting ES motor mounts and reinforcing the shifter bushing help in this, and there is less play in the drive train. But anyways, theres times I cant get into 1st right away. Just go into 2nd then up to 1st. Goes in no problem. Also, for R, just put it into 1st then into R, should go in no problem. I suggest you get some Amsoil MTG to keep that tranny happy. Best thing you could do for it for sure
Old 03-21-2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman

Dave
Have a source for the bushing? I can't find one for 4th gens. Are you talking just a OEM replacement or a poly replacement?
Old 06-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My '92 SE was stuck in reverse. Could not get it out. I just pulled the gearbox and the clutch is shot, but the inside of the tranny looks fine. No broke forks, bad gear teeth, bad bearings. I am stumped. The shifter components are fine too. Anybody familiar with the workings of the reverse lever in the tranny? It seems to lock itself in reverse and I do not see how to get it "unactuated"
Thanks.
P.S. I was going to post this problem, but I have to do 15 forum replies before I can post!
Old 06-17-2007, 07:52 PM
LLAMA

Originally Posted by jaimzb60
My '92 SE was stuck in reverse. Could not get it out. I just pulled the gearbox and the clutch is shot, but the inside of the tranny looks fine. No broke forks, bad gear teeth, bad bearings. I am stumped. The shifter components are fine too. Anybody familiar with the workings of the reverse lever in the tranny? It seems to lock itself in reverse and I do not see how to get it "unactuated"
Thanks.
P.S. I was going to post this problem, but I have to do 15 forum replies before I can post!
my 97 has this same problem, when i either have a friend push the car forward, or spin around in reverse circles, it pops out, i have had the tranny completely rebuilt, and the clutch replaced, problem not solved
Old 06-18-2007, 03:04 AM
Whatchyou say?

My 98' does it too ... I think it's more common that just in the Max too. I had an RX-7 with pretty much the same problem too at one time. For me ... I know my input shaft berring is goin out, so ... I hope the problem may go away after a rebuild. I plan to use Redline when I do rebuild, but I don't guess it hurts it for now since I am gonna tear it down soon anyway.

AFAICR, R' is a floating gear in this trans. Not in all tranys, but IMO it makes it easier to work on (one less retainer to mess with).

It's no big deal really, just don't force it as mentioned and you should be fine. I often do one of the following: 1) let the car roll a bit, this spins the diff, somehow freeing up the "lockout", 2) hit 1st, then R' and it goes almost every time - no problem, or 3) double clutch like you do now.

Just remember - DON'T grind em if ya can't find em! lol
Old 06-18-2007, 06:24 AM

had the same issue but gettin it into first. Now its not really doing it anymore kinda went away. But im gonna bleed the clutch lines and see if that works and maybe check out the motor mounts.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 PM

Goto howstuffworks.com and lookup manual transmission. You will see how the reverse gear is different which makes it harder to shift. It is also why reverse makes that whining noise when you back up.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:17 PM

man didnt know these many people had problems with it. Just got home tonight was a ***** to drive with all that traffic...... My cuz is gonna help me bleed the clutch lines.... I alos got some poly motor mounts to swap out tommorow will keep updated
Old 06-19-2007, 02:59 PM

I have trouble getting it into reverse and 1st gear sometimes...and yeah it doesnt bother me. What has been getting to me is 3rd gear...during normal driving I need to slam it into 3rd at times to get it into gear. Kinda sucks but the car has 111K on the original clutch/tranny as far as I know.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:26 PM

yea my R is acting up now..... Getting kinda scared
Old 06-21-2007, 05:05 PM

didnt get a chance to bleed my lines yet busy with work... But after I bleed it is it better to use the syntheic gear oil from GL-4 75w-90 or amsoil.. I dont know if amsoil is synthetic or not.. Also dont know what the pervious owner put in... So whats best to use?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:14 AM

Wow this helped me out a lot i thought my tranny was dead.