4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

All HID guys jump in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:08 PM

All HID guys jump in.

Well heres the story. I finally got my HID kit of e-bay today. So i have decided to install them right away. Anyways after installation i turn my headlights on and was amazed by a light output so im like ok why dont i drive around the town and see how it looks like on the road. Well my excitment got wiped off by incoming traffic flashing me. So im like ok i guess i got to lower my headlight beam, well i did that but im still getting flashed by around every 10th driver. I'm preatty upset about that cause i have a lot of respect to people on the road. How youre guys solved that problem except doing retro of course??
Oh yeah i have only single-low beam so i cant show people that i'm driving on lows, so everytime i have to turn off lights and turn them back on. Btw i lowered beam more than specs says. color 6000k
Old 03-22-2007, 11:13 PM

1) listen to what EVERYONE is saying about HID kits in stock housings. They will glare like a B!TCH.

2) aim your headlights lower is the only thing you can do, besides a retro or ditching your housings for some OEM cefiros, both of which would require you to sell at least your bulbs and get different kinds.

3) do NOT turn your HIDs off and on within less than a couple minutes. The ballasts you're using in your kit are most likely cheap enough already, flashing your lights on and off is bad bad BAD for the ballasts.

good luck.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:20 PM

retrofit is the best option if you want hid's. but since you dont have that you can try and either make or buy whats called a casper shield. in the mean time i would just put back your regular bulbs.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What K did you get? If you got those crazy 8000k and up lights then thats one reason why people are flashing you. If I remember correctly blue light tends to bleed and get into peoples eyes more than white and yellow. Retrofit is by far the best option for hids but if you don't want to go that route the only stockish lights that have good beam pattern and doesn't glare nearly as much are the AE glass headlights sold on ebay. I ran that setup with my 7000k and never got flashed at all. I have a thread about them if you want to look them up.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 97MaximaSE97
What K did you get? If you got those crazy 8000k and up lights then thats one reason why people are flashing you. If I remember correctly blue light tends to bleed and get into peoples eyes more than white and yellow. Retrofit is by far the best option for hids but if you don't want to go that route the only stockish lights that have good beam pattern and doesn't glare nearly as much are the AE glass headlights sold on ebay. I ran that setup with my 7000k and never got flashed at all. I have a thread about them if you want to look them up.
He's running 6000K color temp. The color of the light doesn't have much to do with how much glare you get, it's the brightness, which would actually put 6-8K at a lower glare than something like 4300K.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:55 PM

Blue light has what we call a very high diffuse density, which causes it to radiate outwards as opposed to forwards. What results is a wide glow of light outside the beam pattern that is blinding to motorists you share the road with. A blue HID bulb will produce color bleed around the headlight, around the objects it lights up, outside of the beam pattern, and around the cut off line. This is effect is known as "glare", and these illegal and improperly installed HID kits are the reason why HIDs get a bad wrap. As common evidence of glare, observe a traffic light at night in a dimly lit area. There is red light and green light. Red is opposite blue and green is next to blue, thus we can substitute green for blue. If you observe the aura, or glow, of light around a red light and compare it to that of a green light, you'll notice that the green light produces much more glare than red. Blue is even worse. Purple, the worst.

This is the article I read on clublexus. Here's the link to the whole article. Its pretty good!

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html#hid
Old 03-23-2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by black97
Btw i lowered beam more than specs says.
Not low enough.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:04 AM
SHIFT_up

just lower the lights to the ground and be done with it. believe me youll still see everything better then before but without blinding others.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:13 AM

casper shield is the way to go. it does not cost much but it just takes a little time to put in your headlights.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:04 AM

casper sheilds last time i checked are only for h1 or h4 or h7 bulbs i dont recall.

did they start making it for 9007/4?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:20 AM

I agree with 99se5speed, I would just lower them more. (Not that I know from owning HIDs..yet) The only thing you can do is take some of the 'focus' of the light away from other drivers' eyes unless you do more modding like other said previously to reduce the 'glare' as well. But keep in mind, there will always be people flashing you, some people's eyes are very sensitive to light compared to others'. I get that with just my silverstar H4s.

I have Cefiros installed now and was going to buy 5000k bi-xenon HIDs next (I want the H/L beam). I do not want to retrofit a projector in though - more work/ money than I am interested in doing. I would do LED tails before I did a retrofit. (Dont get me wrong, retro looks b$#a$$). Will I need a different casper shield, or can I use the existing one? I don't know if its deep enough for the HID bulb compared to the H4.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:40 AM

you can try getting eye lids for your headlights.....i have 12k HID's..but i also have cefiros......but i get flashed occasionally
Old 03-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
you can try getting eye lids for your headlights.....i have 12k HID's..but i also have cefiros......but i get flashed occasionally
Eyelids dont do ****, buddy.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:01 AM

Man this is great info but question because im running 8k in the stock housing, I have no low or high option, how in the hell do u lower the beam on a stock housing? I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:54 AM

There are adjust screws on the back of the housing. You may want to hit them with PB Blaster a couple times beforehand. One is side/side and one is up/down.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:50 PM

i made my own eyelids and the flashes have tremendously reduced. best opt is to retro. look in sig for details on lights

Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 PM

Thanks for input guys.
I lowered the beam today and i wasn't flashed even once so i hope this will keep me going for now.
Thanks again
Old 03-23-2007, 11:41 PM

i have the stock housing and never got flashed yet. well over a year. i have 8k. you just need to aim the lights both up and down and sideways. i aim mine directly at my hood line from my seating postion. when i sit in the car. my beam is lowered to right in front of my hood line. i still see far and on the sides. dont forget that you can angle the lights inward so the lights will be even more focused. i have it focused where both sides meet in front of my driver view point. i have got thumbs up for my lights and the brightness but not the glare. i do agree if i tailgate then it does glare blinding b/c they way i focused it. but at least they move out my way. that was my point for aiming.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Karim
Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
Eyelids dont do ****, buddy.
Some people just attack other people when they think they do'nt make sense...all they had to do was just think about it a little more. Why won't eye lids work???? Let just say the eye lids were SOO HUGE, they covered the WHOLE headlight...would it not block off most of the light blinding people??? If HALF the headlight was covered, wouldn't it cover MOST of the light blinding people??? OH btw...this orger just proved you wrong..So don't act like a hard *** and think you know everything....

Originally Posted by jltibbs
i made my own eyelids and the flashes have tremendously reduced. best opt is to retro. look in sig for details on lights
Old 03-24-2007, 09:53 AM

eyelids dont work for one reason. the glare is being reflected from the bottom of the headlight housing towards oncoming traffic. cheap fix is making your own glare shields. i used a coke can and some aluminum duct tape to make mine.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Yup plus that guy is using those ebay glass headlights. They don't glare nearly as much as OEMs do. I never needed to lower my glass headlights though they were perfectly aimed my setup.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:20 AM
KH3 5spd

i got mine from the group sale w/ bixenon. the only time i get flashed on when im doing my mountain run on single lane roads. The glare is there but is not as harshed. i havent made any adjustments to mine but seems like its perfect setup.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:49 PM

also some of the glare comes from the glass at the top, i covered all of that as well.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by huyqvu
eyelids dont work for one reason. the glare is being reflected from the bottom of the headlight housing towards oncoming traffic. cheap fix is making your own glare shields. i used a coke can and some aluminum duct tape to make mine.
yes that is understood....but since the hid output shoots everywhere, by using eye lids, he's eliminating the beam that is coming directly off of the bulb. Eye lids might not help A LOT, but IMO, does certainly help a little.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:50 PM

Do bixenon hids suffer from the same glare?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:22 PM

Define bixenon HIDs. Glare will depend on whether you use a projector or a housing that is designed for HID, not whether you use single or bixenon.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I never got flashed when I had my "plug and play" HID kit. I had my lights aimed VERY low, but visibility was still plenty good.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Define bixenon HIDs. Glare will depend on whether you use a projector or a housing that is designed for HID, not whether you use single or bixenon.
The 9004 6000k bixenon kit in the group forum is the one i am talking about. I was asking about them because they seem to come with some kind of shield on them. They would go on the stock headlights for now. If they have the same glare I would have to look into other options.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:46 PM

the best are BI-Xenon projectors... hands down.. i would never settle for an HID Kit because i use my highbeams all the time... TL's FTMFW
Old 03-24-2007, 10:14 PM

Amen to that.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:27 AM

all hid bulbs come with a lil shield to reduce glaring......well..at least most of them.....but bi-xenon allows you to have high beams which is sometimes a plus if you're driving in very secluded area....i wish i had that sometimes when i'm driving to VT for a ski trip...
Old 03-25-2007, 06:30 PM

so when i do my retro, should i mount them towards the front of the light to keep them from hitting the chrome on the inside of the housing? i was wanting to mount them back a little like where the normal bulbs are for a more sleek look. but i am worried that i will be sacrificing the projector beam if i do that. can i mount them back and paint the inside black or will i need some of the chrome to complete the beam???
Old 03-25-2007, 09:27 PM

jltibbs: paint the stock reflector black...its the easiest way to reduce unwanted light causing glare.

ImmaSquashYou: you need to do more research. D2R bulbs come with a minor shield thats designed to work with HID reflector housings. D2S bulbs come with no shield. The projector is where the shield is at to get the proper beam cutoff. With Bi-Xenon projectors... the shield is connected to a hinge and moves through the use of a solenoid. The shield moves out of the way and allows light to go above the tradition cutoff line and creates a proper beam for high beams.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 AM

tanks jvelos. just makin sure i wouldn't lose light output this way.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

just got a new hid kit need help on install. please!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:45 AM

yea i got HID's 7000k and i get flashed all the time......
I will lower them and see what happens.....
Old 04-19-2007, 09:51 AM

I was thinking about getting these crazy eagle ones or something. I look into it. Getting them for around 400 Bucks.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:54 AM

Good move Bad Move????just about to buy e/bay 9007 bi-xenons for modified 9004 e/bay headlights.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 AM

There's a lot of glare in the 9004 housing so you will get flashed occasionally. Some people suggest to make a sheild or something to reduce it. If you really want to improve your output, save the money for a good retrofit.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
casper sheilds last time i checked are only for h1 or h4 or h7 bulbs i dont recall.

did they start making it for 9007/4?
+1 on the casper shields. They will eliminate most of the upward glare.

Quick Reply: All HID guys jump in.