4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help with P0400 error code

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:37 PM

Help with P0400 error code

So, a few weeks back, I had forgotten to plug in the MAF when I cleaned my TB and gotten the MAF code. I borrowed Autozone's code scanner and reset my CEL as I had plugged the MAF back in as soon as the CEL came on. Then three or so weeks after that, I got the CEL back. The code now was P0400. I borrowed a friend's code scanner and reset it again. The light did not come on for about 325 miles and now its ON again. I just reset the light and again its the P0400 code.

I looked up information the last time I reset it but I don't know where to start. I have located these two threads:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=470051

and
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....58751&t=490081

I have also looked up the Troubleshooting the EGR Section in the Maintenance and Troubleshooting sticky. I cannot get to that photobucket album. It keeps asking me for a password for evilBIGD http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v158/evilBIGD/EGR

The first thread I linked is very informative but the instructions with the URLs to the pix don't take me to pix but to an album rather. Any suggestions for me on how to proceed?

I have a 1999 SE that I purchased new in Jan 1999. It now has 76K miles and its automatic.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2007, 07:01 PM

P0400: Insufficient EGR flow

that could be a number of things. could be the egr valve itself, the solenoid, clogged/leaking hose, could even be the sensor the egr monitor uses to test the egr system(not sure what sensor that is on the max tho).

EDIT: just finished reading those threads...if you want to take this into you own hands heres what ide say makes the most sense:

start by checking all the hoses off the EGR for clogs. if they are alright, move on to the solenoid.take it off and try to blow through it, you shouldnt beable to. now put it to power and try to blow through it, you should beable to. if not solenoid is bad. to test for a sticking EGR valve use a vacuum pump to apply vacuum while the car is running. if the RPM changes/car starts to 'stumble' valve is not sticking.

apparently there is a EGR troubleshooting guide in the stickies...so if i were you ide try to find that too.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 PM

P0400 usually has nothing to do with the EGR Valve. It is almost always related to a clog in the small EGR pipe which every maxima is bound to suffer from one day. The process is long and detailed but there are writeups about it.

resetting codes will not make the problem go away.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:40 AM

Yes. I linked that in my post. I cannot get to that writeup as the thing is asking me for a password that is not published anywhere here.
Originally Posted by willard00
apparently there is a EGR troubleshooting guide in the stickies...so if i were you ide try to find that too.
Yes. The thread I linked has the writeup but no pix. It has several links to Pix but they all take to one album and not a picture so I have no clue what / where to open.
Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
P0400 usually has nothing to do with the EGR Valve. It is almost always related to a clog in the small EGR pipe which every maxima is bound to suffer from one day. The process is long and detailed but there are writeups about it.

resetting codes will not make the problem go away.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:38 AM

pm me your email and I will send you a detailed writeup that should require no pics.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:17 AM

pm me your email and I will send you a detailed writeup that should require no pics.
Done.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:46 AM

Please just post the write up on here for others as well.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:42 PM

Ok guys. I never did anything for the CEL. It is still ON and the car runs just fine. I reset it after checking every couple or so months and it comes back a few days later. I even purchased the gaskets (IAC, TB and the metal tube ones) but have yet to locate everything on my engine (nubie). I have started reading back on the subject. My car only has 87K miles.

1. What are the odds of the bent metal tube being blocked?
2. I see in the post http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=p0400 that the user mentioned the small egr tube. What is that? Is that the same metal pipe that needs cleaning in addition to the plenum?
3. There are some who say the EGR Solenoid valve was their culprit.

I have the nissan manual on CD and the testing procedure with Consult looks daunting. I'd be happy to pay the stealer and get this fixed but it seems folks are reporting that the stealers change each of the three valves at the customer's expense and then lastly the pipe. I want them to find the issue in one shot.

What are my options friends?

Also, I have the writeups and Sunwboy's one page pix instructions. BUT, I being a nubie cannot follow the short instructions. Any one have longer instructions on troubleshooting this (every component) with pix?

Thankx
Old 05-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With all the info you have, I'm geussing you can locate the actual valve.

On a cold running engine, reach way down to the bottom of the valve and push up on it, it is EXACTLY like finding the G-spot, if the engine stalls when you manually open the egr valve it is not a clogged guide tube/manifold.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
With all the info you have, I'm geussing you can locate the actual valve.

On a cold running engine, reach way down to the bottom of the valve and push up on it, it is EXACTLY like finding the G-spot, if the engine stalls when you manually open the egr valve it is not a clogged guide tube/manifold.
Do you mean try to push the whole valve upwards? I was able to reach it but I can push anything up. There seems to be a rusted pipe like extrusion of the valve down there but nothing is pushable. Please clarify.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2008, 09:08 AM

I got the same code 0400 about a month ago. The EGR valve was replaced by oem but the CEL come out again. I took the EGR tube off yesterday but it also not bad. My final guess is about the EGR-C solenoid which is near the automatic dipstick and has a green electric connector.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dvpatel99se
Do you mean try to push the whole valve upwards? I was able to reach it but I can push anything up. There seems to be a rusted pipe like extrusion of the valve down there but nothing is pushable. Please clarify.

Thanks
It's on the way underneath side of that, and you need to actually find one of the large oval shaped holes and stick a finger up inside it, than you will feel the part that moves up and down. Once you get it, you will understand, the G-spot couldn't describe it better, make that ***** moan.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:08 PM

1. What are the odds of the bent metal tube being blocked?
Very easy to check. Remove iacv. Look at the "little opening" in the red. You can also stick a coat hanger or something similar in the direction of the blue arrow. You'll know for certain if its clogged.

Last edited by nhaven; 06-01-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by nhaven
Very easy to check. Remove iacv. Look at the "little opening" in the red. You can also stick a coat hanger or something similar in the direction of the blue arrow. You'll know for certain if its clogged.

IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/nhaven/egrcloggediii.jpg[/IMG]
Do you have more pix? Like I asked in the other EGR thread, if you could give me wider shots of the engine bay, it would be awesome. Thankx to your pix at least now I know what all to open but it would be even nicer if you could post pix from further away (if you took 'em). I tried your photobucket album but its flagged as private.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
It's on the way underneath side of that, and you need to actually find one of the large oval shaped holes and stick a finger up inside it, than you will feel the part that moves up and down. Once you get it, you will understand, the G-spot couldn't describe it better, make that ***** moan.
No luck. I guess what I think is the EGR valve perhaps isn't.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2008, 09:54 PM

Do you have more pix? Like I asked in the other EGR thread, if you could give me wider shots of the engine bay, it would be awesome. Thankx to your pix at least now I know what all to open but it would be even nicer if you could post pix from further away (if you took 'em). I tried your photobucket album but its flagged as private.

Thanks
Sorry, I don't have any wide shots. I made my photobucket public if you want to take a look.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 PM

argh... i have the same code too... i just ignore and reset... too much of a mess to tackle...
Old 06-12-2008, 12:26 PM

I have a 2000 Maxima that is doing the same thing (I know this is a 4G section but the 2000 and the 1999 Maxima both use an electronic EGR, so the system ought to be about the same). Here's what happened:

I was getting p0171 and P0174 codes on and off and some pinging. So I finally replaced the mass air flow sensor. That got rid of those codes and the car is running much better. But now I'm getting p0400, which I never got before. And I get it repeatedly - I clear it, drive anywhere from 10 to 60 miles and it comes back. It seems to come just as I am slowing down. I get the feeling I could drive on the freeway for miles and never get it, but when I'm slowing down on the offramp...

When I was removing/replacing the MAF, I jostled a few things near the intake when getting the MAF loose - it was stuck in the intake thing pretty good, and I had to remove the airbox to get to it. I am guessing I either disturbed a vacuum hose or cracked one, somewhere. I really can't understand how the EGR pipe would suddenly be clogged from this or why the solenoid or valve would suddenly fail JUST NOW. I can't even reach the EGR valve - it seems to be under the throttle body and I don't feel like taking that off (sorry, not much of a mechanic). I did yank out the airbox again and the big intake hose on the other side (to try to get to the EGR valve) and could not see any hose that was loose or off. I suppose I could try yanking one hose at a time to see any effect - that could take a while. (sigh)

Unfortunately, I need to get this thing through emissions in about a week and I can't get through with the EGR code throwing. If I can't get it fixed in a few days, it's going to the dealer (and ultimately it may cost me more than I saved replacing the MAF myself. :-( )

Any ideas?