4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Greddy SP2 Installed. I got two Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:03 PM

Greddy SP2 Installed. I got two Questions

i got my full exhaust installed today (budget y, WS cat, greddy sp2 catback). big ups to eric (maximariceboi) for the hookup and his pops shop for doing some pretty good work on the install.

along with that the 3 O2 sensors were replaced with oem new ones. also changed the old sparks to new ngk plats. i will post clips of the exhaust when i get my new digicam in sometime next wk.

everything is great. only 2 concerns/questions.

1. where the bpipe and muffler meet. that connection where the gasket is... it is very close (couple millimeters) from the gastank and the b pipe itself kinda hangs low. is this normal with the fitment of the greddys on our maximas? if the car goes over a bump or shakes and the exhaust hits my gas tank, what should i be looking out for?

2. the tip of the sp2 is only a few millimeters away from touching the bumper. i would say between 2-4mm. is this going to be a problem in any way?
Old 03-29-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by jxkim
i got my full exhaust installed today (budget y, WS cat, greddy sp2 catback). big ups to eric (maximariceboi) for the hookup and his pops shop for doing some pretty good work on the install.

along with that the 3 O2 sensors were replaced with oem new ones. also changed the old sparks to new ngk plats. i will post clips of the exhaust when i get my new digicam in sometime next wk.

everything is great. only 2 concerns/questions.

1. where the bpipe and muffler meet. that connection where the gasket is... it is very close (couple millimeters) from the gastank and the b pipe itself kinda hangs low. is this normal with the fitment of the greddys on our maximas? if the car goes over a bump or shakes and the exhaust hits my gas tank, what should i be looking out for?

2. the tip of the sp2 is only a few millimeters away from touching the bumper. i would say between 2-4mm. is this going to be a problem in any way?
I'm not sure about 1, but as for 2 my bumper was sitting inside my busted fart can and the bumper help up fine against the exhaust gas. And right now its touching and fine, so I'd say your ok

ordered my SP2 today, trying to figure out how to order my WS cat, and got a CE Y-Pipe in my house
Old 03-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Neo Raven456
ordered my SP2 today, trying to figure out how to order my WS cat, and got a CE Y-Pipe in my house
WS cat you can order from their ebay seller acct. i believe its "warpspeed performance". not hard to find on ebay. just remember to specify what yr your max is. i also heard budget makes good cats.

is this what youre looking for?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WARPS...spagenameZWD1V
Old 03-29-2007, 08:19 PM

i have an sp2 and my tip is flush with the bumper. no problems at all and its been about 9 months since i got the exhaust.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:24 AM

the tip should fit flush, that why greddy fitment is so good... and yes the b-pipe hangs low on all maxs, thats just how it is... the exhaust solid and does not move what so ever so dont worry bout it hitting your gas tank... ive had mine for 3 yrs now and never had any issues
Old 03-30-2007, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by jxkim
WS cat you can order from their ebay seller acct. i believe its "warpspeed performance". not hard to find on ebay. just remember to specify what yr your max is. i also heard budget makes good cats.

is this what youre looking for?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WARPS...spagenameZWD1V
That's the one, thanks man. Just ordered it, now the whole exhaust is on the way. Btw how much did you pay for eric's shop to get it done?

I want to do it myself, but I'm not so sure I will be once I get down there and see how hard it is
Old 03-30-2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Neo Raven456
That's the one, thanks man. Just ordered it, now the whole exhaust is on the way. Btw how much did you pay for eric's shop to get it done?

I want to do it myself, but I'm not so sure I will be once I get down there and see how hard it is
well i paid for o2 sensors and spark plugs as well. you should contact eric or the shop for a price quote.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:38 PM

1) Yes, the b-pipe hangs low, just how they make the sp2. My sp2 never hit the gas tank until now when i lowered my car. The b-pipe hits the gas tank over bumps and is even worse if someone is in the backseat.
2) I can't help you because I believe the sp2 is longer for my year max's then it is for yours. Just be glad your tip isnt sticking out like 1-2 inches like it does on mine!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:29 PM

not going to be a problem unless the tip is touching the bumper, u should be good
Old 03-30-2007, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by udienow
2) I can't help you because I believe the sp2 is longer for my year max's then it is for yours. Just be glad your tip isnt sticking out like 1-2 inches like it does on mine!
that why you need to get the 95-96 exhaust... i have a 97 and the 95-96 fits like a glove! tip is flush, no hitting the gas tank, but b-pipe still hangs low
Old 03-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had the same 95-96 SP2 on my old 95 Max, as well as my 99. B pipe WILL hang a little low. If it is hitting the gas tank, I would say to loosen the bolts a touch that are between the b pipe and the cat. try to raise the b pipe a touch with a floor jack and a block of wood until its clear from the gas tank then retighten the bolts to see where it sites at. This should fix the "low hanging" b pipe a touch also. Should help a little. Also, you can squeeze a hose clamp aroung the rubber hanger between the cat and muffler (theres only one). Wrap the hose clamp right around the rubber hanger then tighten it down a little with a 5/16th drill bit. This will raise your b pipe a little. I've never had any problems with these 2 methods. Hope my advice helps.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by maximabebe
I've had the same 95-96 SP2 on my old 95 Max, as well as my 99. B pipe WILL hang a little low. If it is hitting the gas tank, I would say to loosen the bolts a touch that are between the b pipe and the cat. try to raise the b pipe a touch with a floor jack and a block of wood until its clear from the gas tank then retighten the bolts to see where it sites at. This should fix the "low hanging" b pipe a touch also. Should help a little. Also, you can squeeze a hose clamp aroung the rubber hanger between the cat and muffler (theres only one). Wrap the hose clamp right around the rubber hanger then tighten it down a little with a 5/16th drill bit. This will raise your b pipe a little. I've never had any problems with these 2 methods. Hope my advice helps.
option a sounds good. ill try it next time i get my car up. so far everything is fine, although i want to check in a bit if the b pipe has been hitting the gas tank. currently i dont think its hitting it, but i can only be sure by taking a look. thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 04:57 PM

He didn't ask about it sticking out, he said it almost touched the bumper. No as long as there is some room in between you should be fine.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If it was hitting the gas tank, even tapping it, you would definitely hear it (probably feel it) from inside the car while driving.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Project Ruby......

Mine hangs pretty low and is about an inch away from the gas tank. It bangs against it pretty good when the car is cold, but as it warms up I don't hear it anymore.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:45 PM

i dont understand how all of you have this issue of your exhaust moving and clanging against your tank... my exhaust is solid, cant move it at all if i push or pullit, whatever... was mine that much better installed??
Old 04-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Project Ruby......

Possibly. By any chance do you have urethane bushings in or is it still on the stock bushings?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:21 PM

still on stock bushings
Old 04-01-2007, 09:02 PM

Maybe your stock bushing are in better condition than his...