4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

oovi or mevi? WTF?

Sorry, I am new, but what the he!! is an oovi? Or, for that matter, a mevi? Sounds like a kid's cartoon character....

Hey, I'm new! Just picked up a '95 SE w/160k on the clock. Most everything works except, of course, the CD player in the Bose HU. I need to replace the hood springs and clean up the exterior real good. I'll be lurking around here some, so watch out! LOL!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by CaptainMiata
Sorry, I am new, but what the he!! is an oovi? Or, for that matter, a mevi? Sounds like a kid's cartoon character....

Hey, I'm new! Just picked up a '95 SE w/160k on the clock. Most everything works except, of course, the CD player in the Bose HU. I need to replace the hood springs and clean up the exterior real good. I'll be lurking around here some, so watch out! LOL!
00vi (those are zeros, not the letter "o"): variable intake from a 2000-01 VQ30de-K.

MEVI is the variable intake that was available on middle east models of the 4th gen.

Both add power in the upper RPM range. Neither are a direct bolt-on.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 99goldmembermax
This is great phen, I have a 99 maxima GLE with a bose sound system & I am trying to get my ipod to play. Does anyone know which plug/adapter I need to place into the cd changer plug area? I dont want to spend $300 on a aux input adapter. (The plug that I'm looking for goes into the bose stereo and the RCA females jacks should be coming out). Or if you have a better suggestion. ALso, wanted to put on some 2003 350Z enthu stock wheels on my 99 max, but the 350Z wheels are staggered. Are they compatible?
if you are trying to also install an aftermarket headunit you will need an OEM adapter, they are like $20 off crutchfield if you buy a HU from them as well. i just bought both the adapter and a HU from them a few weeks ago and they sent an ipod adapter with it for free they may still have that deal.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok, I have an audio problem.

When I picked up my Max, it had a Pioneer basic style head unit already installed. I recently installed a set of Pioneer 4-ways in the doors and rear deck.

Here's my problem. I know that I won't ever get great bass out of the 4-ways, but when ever I adjust the sound so that I get any, the speakers sound like they are about to blow. I turn down the bass and the mids and highs sound great. When I set everything to reasonable levels, the bass still sounds like crap.

Would getting a better head unit improve things? I know that I won't get great bass without an amp and sub, but my last two cars had decent bass and clear sound without an amp or sub. I'm not looking to rattle the glass out, just enough to enjoy my music.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:13 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Byronape

When I picked up my Max, it had a Pioneer basic style head unit already installed. I recently installed a set of Pioneer 4-ways in the doors and rear deck.

Here's my problem. I know that I won't ever get great bass out of the 4-ways, but when ever I adjust the sound so that I get any, the speakers sound like they are about to blow. I turn down the bass and the mids and highs sound great. When I set everything to reasonable levels, the bass still sounds like crap.

Would getting a better head unit improve things? I know that I won't get great bass without an amp and sub, but my last two cars had decent bass and clear sound without an amp or sub. I'm not looking to rattle the glass out, just enough to enjoy my music.
I am going to guess that the speakers are blown.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys i just bought a hid kit havin trouble with installation. any help please.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by JuNebug-Slim
Hey guys i just bought a hid kit havin trouble with installation. any help please.
You gotta explain what problems.
I'm not even sure if it's ok to "hijack" someone else's thread unless it's the same issue lol
Old 04-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by JuNebug-Slim
I moved this post. Do you see the title of the thread? THIS is where you post questions.

Be more secific and we will see what we can do to help.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Byronape

Did the car ever have the Bose system at any point?

Dave
Old 04-18-2007, 10:14 AM

which pioneer model is that ? it shouold say on the front faceplate
Old 04-18-2007, 11:39 AM

Anyone have any experience with the JDM N1 catback system? Tried to look around for some customer reviews with no luck. I'm just trying to find a decent/cheap aftermarket catback system to replace my rusted current one.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by MaXima0wnZ
Anyone have any experience with the JDM N1 catback system? Tried to look around for some customer reviews with no luck. I'm just trying to find a decent/cheap aftermarket catback system to replace my rusted current one.
Dont get it until you have BCC headers or an equal length y-pipe like me.. And it's still a dumb option unless you go for boost, its loud and droney.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:05 PM

imma sound like a tard but how hard would it be to convert to a 3.5 from a 3.0 i have auto transmission if thats a factor, what would i need to buy besides the engine?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by chazmcgee
imma sound like a tard but how hard would it be to convert to a 3.5 from a 3.0 i have auto transmission if thats a factor, what would i need to buy besides the engine?
I'm a new guy too, but even a cursory read of the stickies in this forum will reveal that many, MANY threads have already been written (and are currently on-going) on this very subject.

FOCUS: I've been running the maintenance gambit (cleaning throttle body and IAC valve, flushing fluids, oil, etc) and have noticed more a more a fairly pronounced noise eminating from the left side of my engine (where the belts reside). An accurate description would be: "WOOOOOOOOOOO", semi-loud, and varying in pitch with RPM.

My first instinct is that it is a loose belt, but it sounds too consistent. Could it be a loose pulley, or does it sound like something more sinister?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

It is possible it is a loose idler pulley, or the bearings headed south in said pulley.

You can get the complete idler pulley for less than 50$.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=11925-ACPUL

Here's a good thread that explains how to replace it:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=idler
Old 04-18-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by chazmcgee
Well the "imma sound like a tard" made you sound stupid. Go read the stickies in the all motor forum. It is not an easy task and you not a lot of parts.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:42 PM

I had an engine warning light on my dash and did the self diagnosis check. the decoder said that i needed to replace my rear o2 sensor and my knock sensor. does anyone have either for sale? and what is the difficulty of installing a knock sensor?
Old 04-18-2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by mge2790
I had an engine warning light on my dash and did the self diagnosis check. the decoder said that i needed to replace my rear o2 sensor and my knock sensor. does anyone have either for sale? and what is the difficulty of installing a knock sensor?
please read the stickies. Knock sensor has been covered more times than I can count. It's not difficult, just takes time and tools.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=512892
Old 04-18-2007, 07:52 PM

as far as the for sale, click the classifieds then go into the 4th gen one and look around. and just wait, or contact someone that is parting out a car.

and if you search knock sensor install you should be able to come up with something using the free search at the top
Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 AM

I have the rear O2 sensor for sale. Ebay for the KS. hwo to in the stickies as stated above. Dont go to a car that is being parted out. a used O2 sensor/knock sensor makes no sense (unless you are prepping the car for sale).
Old 04-19-2007, 04:42 AM
Maintenance Monster

Dont' change the knock sensor until you've fixed the o2 sensor code, and the knock sensor code is coming up all alone.

The knock sensor code won't trip the CEL. So after the o2 sensor is fixed and reset the ECU, pull the codes a couple of weeks later and see if the ks code is there. THEN you have reason to change the knock sensor.

Dave
Old 04-19-2007, 04:43 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by NousDefions
I'm a new guy too, but even a cursory read of the stickies in this forum will reveal that many, MANY threads have already been written (and are currently on-going) on this very subject.

FOCUS: I've been running the maintenance gambit (cleaning throttle body and IAC valve, flushing fluids, oil, etc) and have noticed more a more a fairly pronounced noise eminating from the left side of my engine (where the belts reside). An accurate description would be: "WOOOOOOOOOOO", semi-loud, and varying in pitch with RPM.

My first instinct is that it is a loose belt, but it sounds too consistent. Could it be a loose pulley, or does it sound like something more sinister?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Take the belts off and see if any pulleys have any wiggle. Make sure the idler pulley center bolt is torqued down too. That howling sounds a bit like a worn pulley bearing.

Dave
Old 04-19-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Take the belts off and see if any pulleys have any wiggle. Make sure the idler pulley center bolt is torqued down too. That howling sounds a bit like a worn pulley bearing.

Dave
Supposing it IS a pulley bearing, is that a difficult repair?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:25 AM
dot dot dot ...

Supposing it IS a pulley bearing, is that a difficult repair?
Come on man, read my reply to you It's right under your first read on this page

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=95
Old 04-19-2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Come on man, read my reply to you It's right under your first read on this page

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=95
I apologize for not thanking you for your reply earlier. While I can't isolate the noise, I don't think it is the idler pulley. I wish I had a floor jack so I could experiment, because I think it may either be the power steering oil pump or A/C compressor.

I hope that isn't the case, though.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I apologize for not thanking you for your reply earlier. While I can't isolate the noise, I don't think it is the idler pulley. I wish I had a floor jack so I could experiment, because I think it may either be the power steering oil pump or A/C compressor.

I hope that isn't the case, though.
You can an inexpensive craftsman floor jack with jackstands at sears for under $50 most of the time. I have one of the cheap craftsman sets and a larger craftsman shop jack. I also have 4 stands and a creaper. I have abotu $110 invested in all of it.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
You can an inexpensive craftsman floor jack with jackstands at sears for under $50 most of the time. I have one of the cheap craftsman sets and a larger craftsman shop jack. I also have 4 stands and a creaper. I have abotu $110 invested in all of it.
Thanks, I had no idea they could be had so inexpensively.

That said, my particular problem comes from having the inconvenience of living in military barracks for the time being, so I don't have any room to store such equipment (nor would I want to haul it up and down a few flights of stairs each time I want to look at it). However, the base is equipped with a nice self-serve garage... if you can get a bay... which is rare.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Thanks, I had no idea they could be had so inexpensively.

That said, my particular problem comes from having the inconvenience of living in military barracks for the time being, so I don't have any room to store such equipment (nor would I want to haul it up and down a few flights of stairs each time I want to look at it). However, the base is equipped with a nice self-serve garage... if you can get a bay... which is rare.
The smaller jack from my set is not more than 18 inches long and 6 inches tall/wide. It woudl fit under your bed, and weighs maybe 25 lb. I used it when I lived in an apartment. now that I have a house I got a bigger one to go with it. Even the small one was enough to do suspension and basic maintainance on my Maximas.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Even better:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00950524000
Add to cart, then add http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00950182000 to your cart. If you buy online and do in-store pickup, it is $37 for the jack and the stands.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

And the dealership says they don't know what's wrong

This is a long one, so I appreciate your time.

I have a '97 Maxima GLE. The starter died a few months ago and I had it replaced. After a couple days, the car would not start properly. It would crank, but not turn over. I would turn off the car, and attempt to start it again, and maybe it would work. I noticed that if I gave the car a little bit of gas, it would help it start. It was pretty random, so I took the car back to the mechanic, suspecting it was an electrical problem.

The mechanic was unable to repair it and reccommended I take it to the dealership. Unfortunately, the dealership could not figure it out. When they called, they "believed" it to be an electrical problem related to shorted wires/grounding wires. Reluctantly, I told them to put X amount of dollars into fixing it. The mechanic felt he knew the problem, but it would simply take time to pinpoint it (weak, I know).

Wires were replaced and the dealership told me the car started instantly. Of course when I picked it up the next day, the car just cranked, but wouldn't start until after a few tries.

As a result of cranking the starter too much, the starter motor died on me a few days later. I have yet another starter, and the car seems to start a little better, but sometimes it just cranks. Again, giving it a little gas helps at times.

Recently, the car has a new battery, starter and spark plugs. The check engine light is OFF and the diagnostic shows no error codes.

So . . . . any suggestions? Did the dealership miss something? Is it fuel related? The car is in great shape and I really do not want to get rid of it, but I am on my own. I can't take it back to the dealership and have them throw parts/money at the problem. Thanks for hearing me out.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey fellaz,

I'm a Newby to the Car Forums & to the whole Car Maintenance . . . need some help figuring out what kind of CV Axles I need for my '96 Maxima GLE . . . the tag reads RE4F04A FN36 . . . I know the 1st part of the code is the Tranny, but I can't figure out the 2nd part of the code . . . Do I have a Locking or a Non-Locking Differential??? Thanks for the Help in advance
Old 04-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Maintenance Monster

You have a non locking differential.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
You have a non locking differential.
Thanks for the info . . . I just purchased the GSPs from Rockauto.com thanks to your help & for a good price. By the way, how did you find out what the code meant? I tried Googling it, but didn't get anything . . .
Old 04-21-2007, 06:47 AM

Strut tower brace?

Getting ready to install my new brace. Will I need to get an alignment when I'm done? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Maxima sometimes acts as if it wasn't getting fuel. It will die will coasting up to a stop sign, make me look like I don't know how to shift up to 3rd gear. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter about 3 weeks ago due to this problem and the that the fuel pressure was on the low side. It ran good for about 200 miles and now is back. The fuel pressue is good, fuel filter is good. No codes and sometimes it will run a couple of days great. I had a mechanic look at it. Of course, it never acted up on him. Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by johnt671
Getting ready to install my new brace. Will I need to get an alignment when I'm done? Thanks.
no. It just tightens things up.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by dfswartz
My Maxima sometimes acts as if it wasn't getting fuel. It will die will coasting up to a stop sign, make me look like I don't know how to shift up to 3rd gear. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter about 3 weeks ago due to this problem and the that the fuel pressure was on the low side. It ran good for about 200 miles and now is back. The fuel pressue is good, fuel filter is good. No codes and sometimes it will run a couple of days great. I had a mechanic look at it. Of course, it never acted up on him. Any ideas?
Do you have a leak?
Old 04-21-2007, 05:13 PM

Carbon Fiber Interior

I Have Seen Pictures Of The Expenisve Carbon Fiber Dash Kits. There Are Some Available On Ebay That Retail For About 35-45 Dollars. Was Wondering If Anybody Had Installed Them?
Old 04-21-2007, 05:15 PM

1. I Have Seen Threads Which Start Like 97 Grille On 95...but End Up Just In A Fight Between Two People Over The Stupidness Of The Thread....but I Have Searched The Forums And Actually Have Not Seen A Single Picture Of It....again Does Anybody Have A Picture Of A 97 Grille Installed On A 95?

2. Planning To Install Two 8 Inch Silver Racing Stripes On My Dark Blue 95 Maxima....was Wondering If Anybody Had Pictures??.....i Have Imagined It How It Would Look...but Always Better To See It....

3. In A Couple Of Pictures I Had Seen A Person Had Chrome Rings On The Gauges....i Have Tried Searching It But Am Unsuccessful...
Does Someone Have Any Information Of These Rings....does One Have To Make Them Or Are They Available At Someplace That I Might Have Not Searched?

4. Ever Since I Bought The Maxima In Sep 06 The Dash Clock Did Not Work...even After Fiddling With It It Still Doesnt Work....i Checked The Connection And It Seems Ok...anything Else I Should Check Before I Go Buy A New One?

5. The Braking Of My Car Seems Normal...brake Pedal Fell And Stopping Distances...however On The Highways , Upon Breaking The Car Rumbles A Little Bit.....i Am Gonna Get The Rotors Machined Soon....has Anyone Had The Same Scenario?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by rahulkatti
I Have Asked These Questions Not To Bring My Post Count Up But I Really Am Planning To Do The Mods Mentioned.
Yeah you def were trying to get your posts up. No need to post a different post for every question. After reading your posts it seems as tho you're about to make your car insanely ridiculous.

1. I hope you have a black interior if you want carbon fiber. IMO it looks stupid no matter what but if you do a google search for "carbon fiber dash kits" you should get over 650,000 hits that regard to them. Many of which are places that sell them.
2. You can not put a 97 grille on your car without changing the front end. Look at the stickies, it's all in there under the exterior area.
3. Racing stripes....?? Are you kidding?
4. paradox-systems.com makes the chrome gauge rings
5. Bulbs could be burned out inside the clock
6. Once the rotors are resurfaced and you put on new pads see what happens.
7. Since you have so many posts now you can make your own threads....
Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by rahulkatti
Also Is It Ok If I Also Post The For Sale Items I Have...in The "for Sale Section".
No. You cannot post there until you have 15 posts...and you cannot post them here.

Quick Reply: NOOBIES: "I AM NEW HERE BUT HAVE A QUESTION" thread. Read FIRST post BEFORE posting!