4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

studdering problem - MAF sensor - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

studdering problem - MAF sensor - Please help

so I while back I cracked my MAF sensor harness, even since the red wire would sometimes not make direct contact, and the engine would go into idle mode for a second. I litte tape fixed it for the time being. . .

I replaced the harness with a used one that wasn't cracked. when I attached it I stripped every wire, twisted them together, and even solderd them so they wouldn't come apart, then I wrapped the connections in tape.

Everything was fine for a couple days, then just the other day it starts acting up again.

Most times it'll be fine if I drive normally, but one odd shift, or punch of the gas and it starts to hiccup, or studder.

On the way home today it went into "idle mode" on the highway and it would just bog down when I hit the gas, I had to pull over.

I jingled the wires on the harness a little and the car staled. I massaged the wire connections a little, and started it again. she worked fine all the way home after that.

I'm confindent that my soldering connections are ok, but just for good measure, I'm going to redo them soon when I have time. Is there something else I should look for?

yes the CEL came and the code is for the MAF sensor, I'm going to have my buddy clear the codes and read whatever comes up again

Has anyone else delt with this kind of problem, or know a way to bypass the MAF or something just so I don't get stranded.

I hate that my car isn't reliable because of this problem, it's not that old!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

Maybe your MAF is dead and your hanress is fine.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 AM

if the MAF sensor was dead, wouldn't it act up all the time?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

Mine would only act up intermittenly But yes, typically it whould be all th time.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Change the MAF. Mine did the same thing.

It would studder more when I punched the gas or the car was under heavy load. Parts guy thought it was weird but I guess each MAF dies it's own way.

Dealer had the part for about $500 and O'Reilly had a remanufactured one for about $250... guess where I bought it.

That was back in 2004 with about 125,000 miles.
I just went over 200K miles last week and my baby is Still Running STRONG. Thank the VQ Gods.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:40 PM

i also have an issue with my maf sensor and when i brought it to a shop, the mechanic that worked on it found a MAF code and told me the aftermarket air intakes screw up the MAF on these cars. i am finding that hard to believe since the intake has been on the car almost 3 years and never had an issue all that time? i clean it as often as i find it even slightly dirty.has anyone else heard this about the aftermarket intakes with maxima's or is this guys just trying to sell me a job? i tried cleaning it but it didn't work...this car has 184k and other than the hiccup that the MAF causes..this car purrs like a kitten

PS. does anyone have a good MAF for this car..looking for one
Old 04-05-2007, 10:31 PM

yea, well I guess I'm looking for one too now, lol

gsxr-rider -> yea he's just selling a job. Even if you didn't put the intake in yourself, I'm sure you'd be able to replace it with the stock stuff, or change out the MAF sensor yourself.

so is there a test I could run on the MAF sensor to see if it is better or not, is there a certain resistence or something like with the knock sensor?

-thanks