4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gas tank pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:10 PM

Gas tank pressure

Still having that same problem from several months ago with the RPM's dropping and stalling and the intense smell of fuel. But anyway, I tried some Techron Fuel Injector cleaner, I let my tank get down to about 1/6-1/4 of a tank and put it in and it ran great, immediately after installing it. So I figured it was the cleaner doing its job, eventually my gas ran out, I refueled and it came back. But I thought to myself, maybe it was just the pressure. So today, on my way back from school I just released the pressure and drove home problem free, idle was fine and no stalling.

My question is, is this pressure in the gas tank supposed to be released in some other way that my car just isn't doing?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 PM

ure supposed to refill the tank after putting in the injector cleaner arent u ?

The tank SHOULD contain pressure and when u take the cap off u should hear a slight hissing of the pressure release, check for leaks check the fuel hoses check the fuel filter and the hoses there
Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 PM

It's been my belief that you shouldn't, I mean the cleaner is an additive, and adding it to the least amount of gas would dilute the solution the least giving the injectors the best cleansing, yes?

And so far for this problem I have:

Cleaned TB
Cleaned IACV
Cleaned Fuel Injectors via Fuel Additive (Techron and Mobil)
Replaced Fuel Filter (Fram)
Replaced Spark Plugs (NGK Plats)
Replaced PCV Valve
Replaced Air Filter (Monster Flow on a PRCAI)
Old 04-04-2007, 01:30 PM

FRAM fuel filter ? hmm i would rather put a nissan 300z on (like i did to my car)

Well the fuel injector cleaner bottles that i have seen and used (different types) all say to wait untill ur tank is almost done, put the injector cleaner in the tank then refill the tank, this mixes the solution with the fuel. usually it states on the bottle : " use for tanks of up to 70 Litres" and thats exactly how big our tanks are

i would not run the engine with a nearly empty tank on fuel injector solution its too stong and too concentrated, it has also been stated on this site to do this ONE TANK before an oil change because the injector cleaner thinns ur engine oil, this should only be done at every oil change interval, not more often

just my opinion tho i may be wrong.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
FRAM fuel filter ? hmm i would rather put a nissan 300z on (like i did to my car)

Well the fuel injector cleaner bottles that i have seen and used (different types) all say to wait untill ur tank is almost done, put the injector cleaner in the tank then refill the tank, this mixes the solution with the fuel. usually it states on the bottle : " use for tanks of up to 70 Litres" and thats exactly how big our tanks are

i would not run the engine with a nearly empty tank on fuel injector solution its too stong and too concentrated, it has also been stated on this site to do this ONE TANK before an oil change because the injector cleaner thinns ur engine oil, this should only be done at every oil change interval, not more often

just my opinion tho i may be wrong.
You probably know more than I do. I'm due for an oil change, once my SP2 and STS get here I'm going to take a day and do the exhaust, oil, and STS at once.

And yeah Fram isn't my first choice, but with ABS and such I didn't feel like fussing around with a larger filter, no gains they just last longer =/
Old 04-04-2007, 09:25 PM

well speaking of gains i am almost done my first tank of gas ( i use 87 ) and it looks like i am getting improved mileage. instead of getting 500 KM per tank as before replacing my old fuel filter i am now going to get 600 KM (im on the last quarter and i can approximate that it will last that much)

check out the gunks i pulled out of my fuel filter :

This is after settling this "solution from outter space" overnight:

The nissan 300z filter is twice as big and i also have ABS its a biotch to change cause mine had 210 000 KM on it and the lines were like GLUED to the filter from all the dirt and deposits
here is the filter i took out:

and here is the 300z (1996 TT) filter:
Old 04-04-2007, 09:26 PM

I really do recomend the nissan OEM filter whether it be the original maxima or the 300z one!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 AM

Yeah, well as far as gains go you'll only see the improved mileage when your old filter was shot. But going from a small clean one, to a larger clean one isn't going to do anything. My gas that came out of the filter was clean, so mine wasn't even bad to begin with.

When this Fram one is shot I might get a 300z filter but most likely I'll get OEM for maxima.

Mine also had 107k miles, which is like, 180km?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:45 AM

all fuel filters are the same pretty much.

as for the OP, you are supposed to fill the tank up after adding the cleaner. it says so right on the instructions. You need to do it for 2 reasons.
1) the cleaner is not fuel, so your car wont run off of it (and too high of a concentration will reduce yoru fuel economy.

2) cleaning is not instantaneous. It takes time and flow (the amount of time needed to empty a tank). when you clean your TB or IAC Valve, you dont spray 1 spritz and call it a day. you have to spray and wipe and spray some more and wipe some more etc.

3) I may be wrong about this point but it is my undertanding that concentrated cleaner can do more harm than good if not diluted enough.

In essence, you wasted the techron. should have bought Redline and Gummout anyhow.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
all fuel filters are the same pretty much.

as for the OP, you are supposed to fill the tank up after adding the cleaner. it says so right on the instructions. You need to do it for 2 reasons.
1) the cleaner is not fuel, so your car wont run off of it (and too high of a concentration will reduce yoru fuel economy.

2) cleaning is not instantaneous. It takes time and flow (the amount of time needed to empty a tank). when you clean your TB or IAC Valve, you dont spray 1 spritz and call it a day. you have to spray and wipe and spray some more and wipe some more etc.

3) I may be wrong about this point but it is my undertanding that concentrated cleaner can do more harm than good if not diluted enough.

In essence, you wasted the techron. should have bought Redline and Gummout anyhow.
I see, but regarding the problem, does pressure in the gas tank have anything to do with anything?

This problem is really, really, bugging me and I just want to enjoy driving the max again