4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Clutch: Am I hosed? Grinding noise while accellerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 AM

New Clutch: Am I hosed? Grinding noise while accellerating

I just had the clutch replaced on my 96SE with a basic rebuild kit. It shifts fine, but it maybe needs a bit of adjustment. (That is, the cluch doesn't engage until the pedal is jammed all the way down, and only barely then.)

Anyway, here's the problem. Instantly after driving it out of the shop, I noticed a noise when accellerating.

The sound is like a rattling or a meshing of gear teeth. It's a mild sound, kind of like a normal gear grinding, but much softer and there's no change in feel or speed...just a sound.

It occurs under non-aggressive accelleration at around 3000rpms and it only occurs within a narrow zone of rpms. It doesn't last very long because I don't stay in that zone very long.

Any thoughts of what this might be?
  • Could it be the need for adjustment mentioned above?
  • Could it be an alignment issue? Bad bearing? Something outside of my tranny altogether, such as exhaust pipes?
  • Is it something I should worry about?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

yehudi-

This is a valid post, and it deserves an answer, but now that you have 15 posts (all in about 3 hours), please limit the post-whoring. I made a thread that lets you ask questions before you have 15 posts. I reveiwed your posts, and few were just "wasted" replies, so no big deal, but please avoid PWing in the future.

I don't mean to sound like a d!ck, but we keep th ewhoring to a minimum around here.

Welcome to the org. If you have any problems, let me know via PM. I am here to help.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by yehudi
Any thoughts of what this might be?
  • Could it be the need for adjustment mentioned above?
  • Could it be an alignment issue? Bad bearing? Something outside of my tranny altogether, such as exhaust pipes?
  • Is it something I should worry about?
POSSIBLY clutch a adjustment will help, but the T/O bearing may be bad, or there may be a hard spot on the PP that needs to wear down. I have a hard spot that gets on my nerves, but the clutch performs normally other then a little noise. Your engagement height may be an issue- I'd go back to the shop that did the work and see if they can move it to where it is more comfortable to you.