4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to paint mud guards to match the OEM car color?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 01:21 PM

I was thinking about using the OEM spray paint so that I can match my OEM pearl white paint exactly... and maybe a glossy enamel after that on it.
Has anyone painted their mud guards to match the color of their car? If so... is there any pointers that I should know of before I do it? Thanks in advance...!!
Old 07-10-2001, 01:31 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by aznbluboy
I was thinking about using the OEM spray paint so that I can match my OEM pearl white paint exactly... and maybe a glossy enamel after that on it.
Has anyone painted their mud guards to match the color of their car? If so... is there any pointers that I should know of before I do it? Thanks in advance...!!
The easy way is to buy ones for an I30 from a dealership such as Infiniti of Scottsdale.....and be seated when you're given the price....I *think* it's $400 or so.....
Old 07-10-2001, 06:06 PM

"OEM" paint?

If you are talking about using "touch up paint", all of it is lacquer and not really OEM. It will crack and fall off the mud guards ehn they flex.

If you want to paint rubber you will need a flexibility additive and you will have to add it to a quart of real OEM paint. Find a local auto body supply store and tell them what you need to do. They can sell you the paint, reducer, and the additives. I'm fairly sure that you can get a one stage (no clear coat needed) paint to simplify things. Buy a small airbrush if you don't have a compressor and gun. Try, try again is the rule if you've never painted before.

Bob
Old 07-10-2001, 09:40 PM
Licensed to Spell

That's easy!

Take those dumb, ugly ,truck accessories off your nice CAR - problem solved.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:53 PM
Licensed to Spell

That's easy!

Take those dumb, ugly ,truck accessories off your nice CAR - problem solved.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

First of all I like my mud flaps and they are a useful accessory as well :P I don't have pics yet, but my mud flaps match my paint exactly. They were primed, painted with my color mixed with a flex agent, and clear coated. It may still be expensive to do, but I already had the paint and a friend painted em for free. The flex agent alone is ~$60 and I didn't pay for my paint myself so I can't tell you the price on that. I'll post pics soon.
-hype
Old 07-10-2001, 10:50 PM

I tried just paint out of a spray can

It didn't work as well as I wished. I have a air powered paint gun, but I'm going to wait about a year for my brother to move back to California and help me paint. Besides I think I need to repaint my front lip. I bought it used and painted (10% chipped off) for $100. It needed to be repainted when I bought it, but I just wet sanded it and used touch up paint. I know paint for our pearl white cars is expensive.
Old 07-11-2001, 05:06 AM

I just painted my mud flaps couple of weeks ago. I first tried the regular spray paint at walmart in the paint section and it was too white. So I switched to a different paint in the auto section and it was better but still didn't match but good enough for now. When I have time I'll find a darker shade of white and repaint the whole thing. I'd have to say the whole car looks great from 15+ feet away as it looked more agressive with the painted mud flaps.
Old 07-11-2001, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by Enduro
I just painted my mud flaps couple of weeks ago. I first tried the regular spray paint at walmart in the paint section and it was too white. So I switched to a different paint in the auto section and it was better but still didn't match but good enough for now. When I have time I'll find a darker shade of white and repaint the whole thing. I'd have to say the whole car looks great from 15+ feet away as it looked more agressive with the painted mud flaps.
Endura:

What brand of paint did you buy from Walmart? What shade is it? How much is it? Is it the spray can type? Do you have pearl white maxima as well?
Old 07-11-2001, 08:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: Color-coded Mudguards...

Well, since you have a white car, you could probably get the paint you need anywhere. Just get some type of latex paint that doesn't chip off. Just go to your local body shop and ask them. Just trying to help.
Old 07-11-2001, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by aznbluboy

Endura:

What brand of paint did you buy from Walmart? What shade is it? How much is it? Is it the spray can type? Do you have pearl white maxima as well?
It was in a spray can type. It's in a small can with a label saying something for auto paint. There should be only two kind of whites there...pick the darker one. It's right in the auto section along with other touch-up paints. Note that this will come out whiter than your car. My car is a pearl white too..it's a 99. I've found some paint that is a bit darker in shade at my local auto shop but haven't bought it yet.