4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:05 AM

rear main seal

okay, so i did a search on the rear main seal to change it. do you need to take off the upper oil pan or no, because it seems like some do and some dont. i already have the flywheel off, and it looks like it may be weeping from the main seal, so i was thinking of changing it, unless you have to take off the upper oil pan. any help is appreciated. oh btw i ended up ordering a 5th gen pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing. that is all i need right for a clutch job. thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Wild for Width

My understanding is that it makes it easier and insures that the main seal is seated properly/not damaged on install. Also, get your flywheel resurfaced.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:24 PM
SHIFT_up

Def get the flywheel resurfaced, and no the rear main seal has nothing to do with the upper oil pan. Once you take the flywheel off the seal should be exposed...it'll be somewhat difficult to take it out but putting the new one in is simple. Make sure you use the right grease, i forgot which one but it's gray and high temp.

You should be set after, you have all the right parts, although i never changed the pilot bearing so i'm not sure about that. Make sure you have the right gear oil.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 PM

okay got the flywheel resurfaced already. i was already doing that, looks nice and shiny now. anyway i have the 5th gen oem clutch setup on order, got new axle seals, amsoil gear oil on order, motor mounts on order. and the rear main is the only thing that im not sure yet. i was reading that some people changed it only to have it leak. so those who have done it, more input is helpful. thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 02:33 PM
SHIFT_up

i've done it...rear seal is perfect although my upper oil pan is letting out a tiny leak. i dont think much of it. everything thing is fine and i never have to add oil...
Old 04-09-2007, 05:13 PM

i think i decided not to do the rear main seal. its not leaking enough to even be on the casing. and it was more like a few drops fell in there and mixed with the clutch dust. thanks for the input though. i am going to change the seals on the transmission (axle and shifter). ill save the rear main for another day.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can give you the name of four other .org members (NOT including myself) who regretted doing it the half-*** hack way of 99se5-speed, you actually made the right call, better to not do it at all then do it wrong, it will leak worse, at least it did for me and several others. There's a reason why the fsm tells you to remove the upper pan!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:43 PM

yeah i think i read that same comment you made to someone else. and its not leaking much at all like i said, its hard to even say that it is leaking at all, because there was just a few drops that mixed with the clutch dust. but either way, im kinda to the point where i dont want to take it that far apart if i dont have to, so ill leave the seal in there, but change the motor mounts, transmission mounts, three seals on the tranny, axles, and get the 5th gen clutch. so hopefully that should about do it, and keep the car running good for a while longer.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by quique
i think i decided not to do the rear main seal. its not leaking enough to even be on the casing. and it was more like a few drops fell in there and mixed with the clutch dust. thanks for the input though. i am going to change the seals on the transmission (axle and shifter). ill save the rear main for another day.

Depends Are u planing on keepin this for good.... I replaced my tranny 2months ago. adn saw my RMS bearly leaking so i was like go ahead adn do it.. U also have to repalce the upper oil man seal on the main seal(it comes sepreatly. STUPID but)...Took me about an hr to put it on good, and put some SILICONE on it..To make sure.. and I've put 5k on it, and havent seen a drop or even evidence of it leakin...

GOOD LUCK...
-moo