4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Not Your Typical Intake Question Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Fast & Furry-ous

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
OBDII gives a better reading/description of codes then doing it that way
True, but if the reader isn't giving codes at all, then maybe it's a bad reader, or connection, or who knows. Just a "more than one way to skin a cat" suggestion.

___
JLD
Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

Sigh.......
Old 04-15-2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
Ill answer your question.

YES it is suppose to be that loud, the intakes on any VQ series engine seem to scream louder then anything ive heard. My freinds intrepid, isnt nearly as loud, my freinds integra is pretty loud, but mines still louder. Ive yet to hear a car that has a louder intake. I cant tell whether my 02's intake is louder then my 98's though. It does sound nicer though.
I believe that question was answered with the same answer you gave, but 10 posts ago....
Old 04-15-2007, 09:40 AM

Hmm, alright. Despite how complicated it is, I will try to check the ECU's output error code via the flashing CEL and see what's up.....but should I reset the ECU first? I've seen in a few CAI guides that I should reset the ECU after the install, which I never did.....? Would it even help at all? Something tells me no....However I will check for all leaks and go from there. As for the MAF, anyway to check to see if its bad (links are all I need), though nothing really happened to it, took off and put back on. I will try to get some pictures on here soon, thanks again

Edit: OBDII reader used was one that my friends dad bought for his 97 maxima, any potential difference in ability to read my 98 SE ?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:01 AM

I believe that question was answered with the same answer you gave, but 10 posts ago....
Its alright Cdg2125, he may have restated the answer but in this manner did a much more clearer job of explaining for such people who are often a lot more concerned for their cars, like me As it did eventually come to my mind that all those civics who drive like crazy with only their intakes sound like that too. Thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 09:46 PM

Updates on the CEL

Was looking at the intake this morning and turns out the little sensor that plugs in near the two outlets for the vacuum hoses was in all the way, I had friends help me on this install and so I'm going to assume one of them forgot to put that in all the way. Reset and now the CEL hasnt returned, I am so happy! Next thing to do is triple check all clamps for leaks and I think I'm set.

Thanks everyone, will update.

However, Should I update the ECU as mentioned in some guides?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
Ill answer your question.

YES it is suppose to be that loud, the intakes on any VQ series engine seem to scream louder then anything ive heard. My freinds intrepid, isnt nearly as loud, my freinds integra is pretty loud, but mines still louder. Ive yet to hear a car that has a louder intake. I cant tell whether my 02's intake is louder then my 98's though. It does sound nicer though.
Bro your not lying.....Ive been talking to some freinds with intakes and I took a few for a ride and they were blown away how loud it was compared to theirs....louder than my cousins Integra which he didnt believe possible till he rode in it. Im getting much more used to it now and more comfortable with the sound. I need to mounts up some kinda bracket,occasionnally it rattles against the fender wall but no biggie. This damn NorEaster up here has had it raining for 2 days now and atleast 2 more more days to come so not many WOT runs the past few days but cant wait for dry weather.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:28 PM

Ya, I really am impressed with the sound, GREATLY. What chances that I bought a Maxima instead of some stupid Honda, it sounds like a muscle car and driving around my street today I set off two car alarms =) Love the sound, missing the low end torque, its all good!

However, whats 'WOT' and exactly how much should I be worried about water? Does this mean I shouldn't drive at all? I am in SoCAL, so it doesn't rain often, but when it does it is hard at times?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 AM

hey

where do you hook up the clips and wires to the pipe??? I got a CAI from e bay and couldn't justify not hooking up all the electronics to it. So I just went with the cone filter. New to this mod thing, but hoping to trick out my 99 SE L!!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by bipolar
I got a CAI from e bay and couldn't justify not hooking up all the electronics to it.
Electronics? The car wouldn't run properly w/o any of th electronics associated w/ the intake (IAT/MAF)
Old 04-16-2007, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Electronics? The car wouldn't run properly w/o any of th electronics associated w/ the intake (IAT/MAF)
Yea Im not sure what he menas either...maybe the MAF plug and that Intake sensor,the one that goes in the bung? IDK but either way +1 Nmex for the stock resonator before the TB...I tried it without that just to see but Im gonna put it back on,certainly feels aas if the powerband is off when thats not there.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:44 PM

where do you hook up the clips and wires to the pipe??? I got a CAI from e bay and couldn't justify not hooking up all the electronics to it. So I just went with the cone filter. New to this mod thing, but hoping to trick out my 99 SE L!!

There should only be the intake sensor and the plug that goes into the MAF, make sure those are plugged in after the install and BEFORE turning on the car, did you manage to install everything else or are you still clueless? Here's a great guide.

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_modi...ai/index.shtml

Have fun, let us know! The ebay CAI has a crappy bung for the intake sensor, insert it and make it fit, and seal it with a good layer of duct tape, it cant be helped, but its out of view since its behind the intake.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:53 PM

yo

Ok. I am new, so... There is the intake manifold, then the rubber flexi hose thing, then a box then another box. I was under the impression that this metal pipe they sent me was supposed to hook up directly to the intake manifold. I believe that the MAF (no idea what the hell that means) is the big box with the electronic sensors on it. Right?? I tried just hooking up the pipe to the intake manifold without the sensors, but the car stalled out every time i pressed the gas. I said to hell with that and hooked up all the things that are stock...except the air filter box and the air filter. I used some bolts to hook up the adapter to the hose/box with the screen in it. (whatever the hell that thing is called). It runs fine now, but I really don't know if I'm screwing myself out of some HP by not having the boss chrome tube CAI...
HELP!!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Fuhget About It.....

My personal expericence is that I love it, when the car is in neutral you can hear the air going in with a little hiss, when Im crusin its like a purr from a kitten, when I cruise in cold weather or cruise at 70 or above its like a growl. When I punch it its like a freakin lion.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:37 PM

Ok. I am new, so... There is the intake manifold, then the rubber flexi hose thing, then a box then another box. I was under the impression that this metal pipe they sent me was supposed to hook up directly to the intake manifold. I believe that the MAF (no idea what the hell that means) is the big box with the electronic sensors on it. Right?? I tried just hooking up the pipe to the intake manifold without the sensors, but the car stalled out every time i pressed the gas. I said to hell with that and hooked up all the things that are stock...except the air filter box and the air filter. I used some bolts to hook up the adapter to the hose/box with the screen in it. (whatever the hell that thing is called). It runs fine now, but I really don't know if I'm screwing myself out of some HP by not having the boss chrome tube CAI...
HELP!!!!

bipolar, did you check out that guide from the link I posted, not to be rude but honestly it would seem you are very lost with doing somethings. The MAF, or mass air flow sensor is the most important part of the setup and is indeed the thing with a screen in it and a sensor that a connector in the engine bay connects.

I'm assuming you have't even removed the battery to drill the 3" hole to install the filter in the fender or anything, I'll post a picture of my setup that I did a couple of days ago in a few seconds.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:59 PM

thanks

Man, I am totally lost. I have a lot to learn! I didn't even know that you drilled a hole until I read that link...Thanks a ton for any help you can give me!!
I'm not a totally inept mechanic, I just don't know that much about my car!!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:13 PM

ahhh

The code that I got when the wires weren't hooked up...??
Cause sure as hell my check engine light is on!!
HAHA!! I think that I can get this CAI installed correctly this weekend!! I had NO IDEA how it was supposed to go on!!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:26 PM

The code that I got when the wires weren't hooked up...??
Cause sure as hell my check engine light is on!!
HAHA!! I think that I can get this CAI installed correctly this weekend!! I had NO IDEA how it was supposed to go on!!

Ya man, check that EVERYTHING is plugged in after the install, and then reset the CEL (check engine light) and take it for a few spins if it comes back on, if not you should be fine.

As for a tip with the ebay kit, its REALLY loud, sets off alarms so that's ok, but for some stupid, stupid reason the ebay kit comes with this one coupling, blue rubber piece that connects piping that has clamps, that is cone shaped and doesnt fit from the first piece to the maf? I dont know that, its whack, for a few bucks go get a regular 3" coupling at an autoshop to save a lot of trouble.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:52 PM

Here come the pictures, take note of the sensors and how it hard it is to see the hole after the installation.

Click the thumbnails for full size!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The Injen intake for the 4th gen Maxima is the worst intake you can put on that car. It pulls hot air from right behind the radiator and during the summer months robs power from the engine due to it's poor design.
Do yourself a favor and go back to stock before it's too late, Ebay is your friend.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:47 PM

This is the exact opposite of how this thread started but i installed an ebay intake and it isnt loud at all it only roars at WOT. I was wanting it to be louder. Have i done something wrong or am i going deaf?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The Injen intake for the 4th gen Maxima is the worst intake you can put on that car. It pulls hot air from right behind the radiator and during the summer months robs power from the engine due to it's poor design.
Do yourself a favor and go back to stock before it's too late, Ebay is your friend.
Are they all the same? Mine sits about as far from the radiator as it could...its more behind the headlight and below it. Perhaps the one I have ist a real Injen,I bought it from a freind of mine and it doesnt say Injen on it anywhere but it atleast resembles the an Injen I saw on there website. He said it was Injen but who knows,either way I do understand its not a true CAI but I dont think its gonna rob me of any HP.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Godson
Are they all the same? Mine sits about as far from the radiator as it could...its more behind the headlight and below it. Perhaps the one I have ist a real Injen,I bought it from a freind of mine and it doesnt say Injen on it anywhere but it atleast resembles the an Injen I saw on there website. He said it was Injen but who knows,either way I do understand its not a true CAI but I dont think its gonna rob me of any HP.
Well it does rob hp. Low end suffers with HAI and a little top end is lost with CAI. Yours is not a true real INJEN if there is no marking on it. Usually any piece will have the INJEN writting on it. But it doesn't matter. It's just brand name anyways.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:45 AM

i was wondering if anybody knows the dimensions of the x1011 replacement filter for the injen intake.
better yet, if you could point me to the right k&n universal replacement model number. i want to say rc-3870, but i am not sure.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:23 AM

ok

So what you're telling me is that I should scrap the CAI altogether and go back to stock?? Man, this is confusing...
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 AM

So what you're telling me is that I should scrap the CAI altogether and go back to stock?? Man, this is confusing...
Nobody said to go back to stock. It's been tested and guys have mixed results (in what I see). Some guys don't want anything but stock and some want something other than stock. I personally am keeping the stock resonator box and maf and using those pieces with my CAI. Just need to drill a hole from the air intake sensor.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

and what about the ebay pRCAI replica intake I installed, that should be fine, right?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:19 AM
dot dot dot ...

PRCAI replica > Injen.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:20 PM

i personally love my injen, runs better off the line than it was stock. no problems in 4 years.. + the bling factor is an added plus.

ps. don't notice the mickey mouse job on the air horns. i took them off already.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by BOZOnPJs
i personally love my injen, runs better off the line than it was stock. no problems in 4 years.. + the bling factor is an added plus.

ps. don't notice the mickey mouse job on the air horns. i took them off already.
looks good but I doubt it got you off the line faster
Old 04-17-2007, 03:13 PM

Hey...I like the air horns...

be sure to update us on your install, this thread will hopefully help with many intake related questions, especially the ebay ones.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:06 PM

looks good but I doubt it got you off the line faster
ok i've only had 7 cars. 5 of them 5 speeds.. i wouldn't know my launches.. come on man don't hate.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

That wasn't the point of his post.

Pint being, that intake is in a horrendous spot. High IAT's cause a severe lack in power, therefore off the line, said lack of power is extremely pronounced/magnified.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
That wasn't the point of his post.

Pint being, that intake is in a horrendous spot. High IAT's cause a severe lack in power, therefore off the line, said lack of power is extremely pronounced/magnified.
Thanks NmexMAX. 7 cars you think you would know hot air doesn't give you more power off the line.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It seems like with all the other intakes there is a ton of word-of-mouth and butt dyno testing but I rarely see any hard facts to back them up. The injen cai is one of the few intakes for which I've actually seen a dyno.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

I only believe 3rd party dynos, thank you very much.

And I said it earlier in the post, any intake can gain from AFR tuning, and a better designed system as a whole.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:12 PM

again to NmexMAX. Keeps beating me to the post.

It shows high end gain, which is exactly as we already stated from an Injen. What is the graph supposed to prove? Hp gain? Yeah we know it gains top end, still kills low end, which was the point of my previous statement.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:25 PM

tomorrow you might get a skyline, and yesterday was spilled milk... we're all in the same ship with different uniforms.. yes, i am buzzing.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If it kills low end, why does the graph show almost identical HP and TQ curves at the low end? You argument doesn't really have much proof other than what you've heard form other board members...
Old 04-17-2007, 08:32 PM

one car has a K&N replacement filter the other one has an INJEN cai. its not a prcai vs. injen.

Quick Reply: Not Your Typical Intake Question Thread...