4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Not Your Typical Intake Question Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:54 PM

Not Your Typical Intake Question Thread...

Or atleast I hope not but after scouring the stickies I still couldnt find a definitive answer. Ok I started with the Y-Pipe and the urge to buy more has been strong but until this week I had put it off. So today arrived my first intake. Its an Injen,guess not a real CAI as no cutting was involved but it sits near the fenderwall and is similiar to many Ive seen on members cars. Now for my question.....should this thing be sooo damn loud? I mean everyone said it would cause a growl and it seriously does through the mid rpm but then when it gets up into the last 1500-2000 rpms the damn thing screams like cheetah....is this normal? It doesnt sound bad but it sounds so loud I became concerned....should I be or am I just an intake noob sissy that when I hear anything but the stock intake Ive had on the car for nearly a year now just freakin out? Dont have any audio but could record a video tomorrow if that would help give me a definitive anwser.. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Fast & Furry-ous

Much of what you removed to install that new intake, and basically all the "boxes" were for the sake of making the intake quiet. Enjoy the sound of power.

___
JLD
Old 04-13-2007, 10:05 PM

Yes it is a typical intake question. The info is already out there. Aftermarket intakes are louder than stock. That's it.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Yes it is a typical intake question. The info is already out there. Aftermarket intakes are louder than stock. That's it.
Alright as I explained I read the stickies...nothing definitive. Was looking for some thoughts.....this isnt exactly my first dance in this forum,why use your time for pointless criticism?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Suzie (v)Q
Much of what you removed to install that new intake, and basically all the "boxes" were for the sake of making the intake quiet. Enjoy the sound of power.

___
JLD
Thank you very for help putting my mind at rest...appreciated.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Godson
Alright as I explained I read the stickies...nothing definitive. Was looking for some thoughts.....this isnt exactly my first dance in this forum,why use your time for pointless criticism?
how was it criticism? I was just stating that it has been answered many many times on here and that aftermarket intakes are loud. There was nothing mean or pointless about it. If you think that was, then you're not going to enjoy posting many questions like that on here. Sorry if you were offended.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:18 PM

he could have an air leak or something that makes it sound louder,. i duno but just be easy
Old 04-13-2007, 10:23 PM

im sure he installed the intake correctly, i have faith in that so I wouldn't think there is a leak. Possible tho. I was just saying, aftermarket is louder so don't worry about the sound, nothing is wrong or anything.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:27 PM

Back in the day (haha) when i had my 97 dodge neon, the stock intakes on those cars are made really dumb, its ON THE FIREWALL, and there is a scoop streched OVER the engine to the front grill (so guess what the plastic scoop heats up and u r taking in pure heated air -- not good)

anyways i take the long scoop off and start driving, then that car pulled OMG it scared the pigeons of the side of the road, its ROARED like a V8 (mind u its a 2.0 4cyl)

lesson = keep scoop on
Old 04-13-2007, 10:27 PM
oem ftw!

That's pretty much how it goes with any aftermarket intake. I bought a HAI from ebay, and used the metal midpipe that it came with. It was pretty loud, I didn't really like it. I put back the stock midpipe/oil separator and attached the cone filter with the MAF adapter. This quieted it down significantly, it only gets loud above 3,000. I eventually got tired of that noise too and went back to the stock intake for a few months. But now i'm back on the stock midpipe / cone filter setup.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:30 PM

im sure he installed the intake correctly, i have faith in that so I wouldn't think there is a leak. Possible tho. I was just saying, aftermarket is louder so don't worry about the sound, nothing is wrong or anything.
Nah bro it really wasnt like that. Its just even though my post count is low I do read threads in here everyday and while I do understand that intakes are louder than stock the actually in person sound is new to me on our vehicle. I mean I have freinds with Hondas and crap with intakes but they always sound "screamy" to me.....Ive never heard a VQ in person with an intake. So perhaps my wording was wrong,maybe should have asked if an air leak was possible and could that make it louder than it should be....the last thing Im trying to do is **** anyone off but my concern was that I could be doing some kinda harm to my motor. Either way thanks for the responses and I will try to tighten all the clamps and what not and perhaps it will quite it up some or I will just cool out knowing its not harming my motor any. I do like the sound but it just seemed excessive. Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:35 PM

Nah bro it really wasnt like that. Its just even though my post count is low I do read threads in here everyday and while I do understand that intakes are louder than stock the actually in person sound is new to me on our vehicle. I mean I have freinds with Hondas and crap with intakes but they always sound "screamy" to me.....Ive never heard a VQ in person with an intake. So perhaps my wording was wrong,maybe should have asked if an air leak was possible and could that make it louder than it should be....the last thing Im trying to do is **** anyone off but my concern was that I could be doing some kinda harm to my motor. Either way thanks for the responses and I will try to tighten all the clamps and what not and perhaps it will quite it up some or I will just cool out knowing its not harming my motor any. I do like the sound but it just seemed excessive. Thanks again.
Yeah I apologize that there was a misunderstanding, but the point I was trying to make was that the intake will not hurt your car at all. No worries there.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Fast & Furry-ous

I'll be dealing with the intake on mine this weekend... I've unfortunately been stuck with bad exahusts for years now, but for as quiet as Suzie is, I forget to shift sometimes. I'm happy to have a quiet exhaust for now, but think having the sound of the intake to shift by would suit me well.

___
JLD
Old 04-13-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2pb
That's pretty much how it goes with any aftermarket intake. I bought a HAI from ebay, and used the metal midpipe that it came with. It was pretty loud, I didn't really like it. I put back the stock midpipe/oil separator and attached the cone filter with the MAF adapter. This quieted it down significantly, it only gets loud above 3,000. I eventually got tired of that noise too and went back to the stock intake for a few months. But now i'm back on the stock midpipe / cone filter setup.
I was thinking about trying this but I kinda busted the housing that the MAF attaches to it with...I was having a hard time getting the MAF out of it and while I was pulling I kinda broke/stretched some of the clips,wouldnt really go back in right. I do like the sound and its not noticeable elow 3000 but at the and near the redline its a banshee
Old 04-13-2007, 10:39 PM

....the last thing Im trying to do is **** anyone off but my concern was that I could be doing some kinda harm to my motor. again.
This is exactly the point SOME people on here do not understand and keep flaming people for legit concerns, KEEP posting dont let the bullies scare u
Old 04-13-2007, 10:41 PM

Yeah I apologize that there was a misunderstanding, but the point I was trying to make was that the intake will not hurt your car at all. No worries there.
Nah man its cool...where all here for the same thing. I just get snippy sometimes because people see my post count and figure I didnt look around first. Well thank you for letting feel better about not harming my engine. I mean that redline scream is angry sounding. I will say its likely I have a few leaks also,I was really cold and quite tired by the time I was finishing up. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
This is exactly the point SOME people on here do not understand and keep flaming people for legit concerns, KEEP posting dont let the bullies scare u
Lol....its alright bro. Ive been here for a little while now and know how it goes,I dont think he was bullying or anything,hell in the forums I post in regularly I sometimes do the same...it just happens. All's well that ends well,and now my Max has a bad *** new growl and thats always good. On a side note I also ordered a Apexi catback, I believe the model is N1....will this alter the sound of the intake any or will the intake ultimately alter the exhaust note?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 PM

I'll be dealing with the intake on mine this weekend... I've unfortunately been stuck with bad exahusts for years now, but for as quiet as Suzie is, I forget to shift sometimes. I'm happy to have a quiet exhaust for now, but think having the sound of the intake to shift by would suit me well.

___
JLD
Well if you havent heard one in person...your in for a treat...albeit a bit alarming at first.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Fast & Furry-ous

Here's hoping. I'd been stuck with the droning of an '87 Toyota MR2 with a "race exhaust" for the year prior. Before that it was a '90 Mazda MX6 leaking from the B-pipe for years. I think my neighbors are happier now- not that they speak to me anymore anyway.

___
JLD
Old 04-13-2007, 11:05 PM

Here's hoping. I'd been stuck with the droning of an '87 Toyota MR2 with a "race exhaust" for the year prior. Before that it was a '90 Mazda MX6 leaking from the B-pipe for years. I think my neighbors are happier now- not that they speak to me anymore anyway.

___
JLD
Owners of any loud vehicles=not friendly neighbors.

I have few bikes and the sound of 1200cc of V-Twin thunder @ 7am doesnt make anyone happy....except me.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:10 PM

oh boy thats one big can of worms.....one of my neighbors is this 17 y/o italian kid with rich parents, they got him a CIVIC (of all the cars on the world) for his bday, the first thing he does? get a muffler that sounds like a leaf blower.

damn i hate that thing, i am thinking to sabotage it by stickin a banana in his muffler---maybe not hehe
Old 04-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Fast & Furry-ous

Owners of any loud vehicles=not friendly neighbors.

I have few bikes and the sound of 1200cc of V-Twin thunder @ 7am doesnt make anyone happy....except me.
Didn't make me happy either, but I have no welding equip. I've quite enjoyed listening to the stereo at reasonable volumes once again, not just having it cranked to try and drown out the noise. And with the setup I've got going now, it's a pleasure! My old Nakamichi CD-40z in the dash and a new set of Blaupunkts all around. Haven't even been in a hurry to get the amp and Bazooka subs hooked up.

___
JLD
Old 04-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Fast & Furry-ous

Originally Posted by andrei3333
oh boy thats one big can of worms.....one of my neighbors is this 17 y/o italian kid with rich parents, they got him a CIVIC (of all the cars on the world) for his bday, the first thing he does? get a muffler that sounds like a leaf blower.

damn i hate that thing, i am thinking to sabotage it by stickin a banana in his muffler---maybe not hehe
Given the size of mufflers on said Civics, you'd need an eggplant.

___
JLD
Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 PM

Didn't make me happy either, but I have no welding equip. I've quite enjoyed listening to the stereo at reasonable volumes once again, not just having it cranked to try and drown out the noise. And with the setup I've got going now, it's a pleasure! My old Nakamichi CD-40z in the dash and a new set of Blaupunkts all around. Haven't even been in a hurry to get the amp and Bazooka subs hooked up.

___
JLD
Yea i bump the system a bit....but I actually try to be a bit couteous with it. I live in South Philly and out small streets lined with rowhomes makes my system sound 10x louder,so I try to lower it up the street. Still you cant make everyone happy. Im stoked with the Apexi coming Tuesday,Im really hoping I get the sound Ive heard from a few Max videos with similiar setups..
Old 04-13-2007, 11:34 PM

Given the size of mufflers on said Civics, you'd need an eggplant.

___
JLD
Very true.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Fast & Furry-ous

Yea i bump the system a bit....but I actually try to be a bit couteous with it...
I NEVER have it cranked in neighborhoods. In all the systems I've had, no one would ever know if my trunk or license plates rattle.... because it's only in the the wide open spaces I'd have it loud enough that might happen. Though I did on rare occasion get strange looks on the highway for driving in a lil' JDM go-cart, T-tops out and windows down, bumping along with Brian Setzer Orchestra....

___
JLD
Old 04-14-2007, 08:39 AM

Hey everyone, I am a local (socal) new 4th gen Maxima owner, and yesterday I bought an ebay CAI, except I just went directly to the warehouse which sells the ebay items to avoid the whole waiting and shipping hassale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-...dZViewItem

This is pretty much what I got, and so far to my knowledge I have installed it correctly, with the 3" hole in the fender and what not, however I have a few questions. When I first started the car to test it, my CEL did not come on. However after turning it off and cleaning up the install, etc, turned on the car and now my CEL is on and has been ever since. Also, I've known of the 'deep sound' enhancement an intake makes, but my car sounds like a roaring hot rod about 2k rpm, is this normal and I'm just worried, or something is very wrong? Also, I have HEARD a hissing from by the filter area near the wheel wall, however I haven't checked it yet but during the install I triple checked all the clamps to make sure everything was tight, unless I am not familiar with how an aftermarket filter sound makes.....so Please, I am going to a friends today with an OBD II reader to check the CEL stuff, but other than that...I am worried that slamming on the pedal causes such loud engine roar and the hissing. Car is a 98 Se automatic by the way. Much thanks in advance!

BTW, in my opinion, despite the small troubles, the ebay CAI isnt that bad at all.

However I am guessing the roaring engine sound is normal from this thread, so ignore those questions,but about the the CEL? I've checked all sensors that were moved around from the factory air intake setup and reinstalled them accordingly with the new intake, eh. Please help! Much appreciated!
Old 04-14-2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by m00njal
Hey everyone, I am a local new 4th gen Maxima owner, and yesterday I bought an ebay CAI, except I just went directly to the warehouse which sells the ebay items to avoid the whole waiting and shipping hassale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-...dZViewItem

This is pretty much what I got, and so far to my knowledge I have installed it correctly, with the 3" hole in the fender and what not, however I have a few questions. When I first started the car to test it, my CEL did not come on. However after turning it off and cleaning up the install, etc, turned on the car and now my CEL is on and has been ever since. Also, I've known of the 'deep sound' enhancement an intake makes, but my car sounds like a roaring hot rod about 2k rpm, is this normal and I'm just worried, or something is very wrong? Also, I have HEARD a hissing from by the filter area near the wheel wall, however I haven't checked it yet but during the install I triple checked all the clamps to make sure everything was tight, unless I am not familiar with how an aftermarket filter sound makes.....so Please, I am going to a friends today with an OBD II reader to check the CEL stuff, but other than that...I am worried that slamming on the pedal causes such loud engine roar and the hissing. Car is a 98 Se automatic by the way. Much thanks in advance!

BTW, in my opinion, despite the small troubles, the ebay CAI isnt that bad at all.

However I am guessing the roaring engine sound is normal from this thread, so ignore those questions,but about the the CEL? I've checked all sensors that were moved around from the factory air intake setup and reinstalled them accordingly with the new intake, eh. Please help! Much appreciated!
Well I'm going to try to be as nice as possible on this one because these questions have been asked so many times as well lol. The CEL was probably triggered by a sensor not being installed correctly or possible turning the car on when something was unplugged. You shoul check the CEL before you post this but o'well. Just post again after about what code came up. My guess is that it will go away when you clear with the OBDII. Hissing noise is from the filter. It sucks air so it's going to make noise. Don't worry.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:51 AM

Well I'm going to try to be as nice as possible on this one because these questions have been asked so many times as well lol. The CEL was probably triggered by a sensor not being installed correctly or possible turning the car on when something was unplugged. You shoul check the CEL before you post this but o'well. Just post again after about what code came up. My guess is that it will go away when you clear with the OBDII. Hissing noise is from the filter. It sucks air so it's going to make noise. Don't worry.

Thank you for your wonderful and incredibly fast response, I am learning and I GREATLY appreciate your patience. I will check the ODB code and post here, as well as probably clear it, and from what you're saying I guess all I can assume is probably (though not that I recall) maybe the car was turned on without a sensor connected somewhere, thanks again!
Old 04-14-2007, 08:54 AM

Thank you for your wonderful and incredibly fast response, I am learning and I GREATLY appreciate your patience. I will check the ODB code and post here, as well as probably clear it, and from what you're saying I guess all I can assume is probably (though not that I recall) maybe the car was turned on without a sensor connected somewhere, thanks again!
Yeah I'm sure the code will clear if it only occured when adding the CAI. As long as your sensors are plugged in the CAI should not throw a code. Report back.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

I suppose you don't like the sound of a monster....
Old 04-14-2007, 04:36 PM
dot dot dot ...

My ECT's are higher w/ my WAI vs stock.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:01 PM

Does is sound like this?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D5YA2d_VRo
If it does you're fine, intakes are meant to be loud.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:05 PM
i has college

This thread is awesome. Everyine is so helpful and forgiving. I love you guys.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:06 PM

Yeah I'm sure the code will clear if it only occured when adding the CAI. As long as your sensors are plugged in the CAI should not throw a code. Report back.

Hmm, very long day. Took the car to an ODB II reader, and no error codes were returned, despite the CEL being on..... either that or it was a code 0? That's all that showed up to my knowledge. So I reset the CEL and drove off, after turning off the car and back on again, the CEL is once again enabled, however I reset it one more time, drove off, and later on the next start my light came back on again. I don't know what's going on, and if there are too many risks I am ready to reinstall my factory intake..... There also a small momentary hiss when I open the throttle by one of the vacumm lines, anyone have ideas?

-sort of bummed, but I really do appreciate this community. Thanks
Old 04-14-2007, 10:08 PM

Also, thanks for the youtube video, it does indeed sound like that so I know thats normal, but I still hear a hissing from where the filter is, I really need to check it ....
Old 04-14-2007, 10:49 PM

Hmm, very long day. Took the car to an ODB II reader, and no error codes were returned, despite the CEL being on..... either that or it was a code 0? That's all that showed up to my knowledge. So I reset the CEL and drove off, after turning off the car and back on again, the CEL is once again enabled, however I reset it one more time, drove off, and later on the next start my light came back on again. I don't know what's going on, and if there are too many risks I am ready to reinstall my factory intake..... There also a small momentary hiss when I open the throttle by one of the vacumm lines, anyone have ideas?

-sort of bummed, but I really do appreciate this community. Thanks
not sure of the actual problem but you do not need to have the stock intake back on. You can try and see what happens with the code. You may have a leak so just go back and try some stuff out.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Fast & Furry-ous

Took the car to an ODB II reader, and no error codes were returned...
Read This thread and try pulling the code(s) that way. Might get more useful results.

___
JLD
Old 04-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Read This thread and try pulling the code(s) that way. Might get more useful results.

___
JLD
OBDII gives a better reading/description of codes then doing it that way
Old 04-14-2007, 11:03 PM

Ill answer your question.

YES it is suppose to be that loud, the intakes on any VQ series engine seem to scream louder then anything ive heard. My freinds intrepid, isnt nearly as loud, my freinds integra is pretty loud, but mines still louder. Ive yet to hear a car that has a louder intake. I cant tell whether my 02's intake is louder then my 98's though. It does sound nicer though.

Quick Reply: Not Your Typical Intake Question Thread...