4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Heated Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 07:01 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Has anyone added heated mirrors to their max? My car was prewired for the low fluid temp sensor....so im assuming that is is prewrired for those as well? Maybe just need the actual mirrors and switch.

Aaron
Old 07-11-2001, 07:17 AM

heated mirrors question

I have a similar question as well. I have a 97Gle and it says that it has heated mirrors, but I am not sure if the glass on heated mirrors should say "heated" on them...

anyone with any ideas? Anyone else out there with a GLE and can let me know if your heated mirrors say "heated" on them?

Originally posted by Aaron95SE
Has anyone added heated mirrors to their max? My car was prewired for the low fluid temp sensor....so im assuming that is is prewrired for those as well? Maybe just need the actual mirrors and switch.

Aaron
Old 07-11-2001, 07:24 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: heated mirrors question

Originally posted by humaras
I have a similar question as well. I have a 97Gle and it says that it has heated mirrors, but I am not sure if the glass on heated mirrors should say "heated" on them...

anyone with any ideas? Anyone else out there with a GLE and can let me know if your heated mirrors say "heated" on them?

If you have heated mirrors you will have a switch for them located either directly in front of your center console arm pad or in the small area just aft of your shifter, and to the right beside the hand brake......i think. They are powered but switched.

Aaron
Old 07-11-2001, 07:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: heated mirrors question

If you have heated mirrors you will have a switch for them located either directly in front of your center console arm pad or in the small area just aft of your shifter, and to the right beside the hand brake......i think. They are powered but switched.

Aaron
I think you are confusing the ones for the heated seats.

Erik
Old 07-11-2001, 07:54 AM

This is my guess: There is no seperate switch for heated mirrors. Whenever heated seats switch is turned on it also turns on the heated mirror. I could be wrong as my GXE does not have heated thing.
Old 07-11-2001, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by jiaxima96
This is my guess: There is no seperate switch for heated mirrors. Whenever heated seats switch is turned on it also turns on the heated mirror. I could be wrong as my GXE does not have heated thing.
is it heated seats turn on?? i think its the defroster that activates the mirrors, but i also could be wrong. mine work, and i dont think i have my seats on all the time during the winter...
Old 07-11-2001, 08:19 AM

Re: heated mirrors question

Anyone can let me know if your heated mirrors say "heated" on them?
I don't think they say Heated on 'em but they do have that rectangle with three curvy arrows (Similar to the defrost logo) on the mirrors I guess. Our Quest had 'em like that. Don't know about the Max. though as I have a SE without the Leather package.
Old 07-11-2001, 08:30 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Hmmmm

Originally posted by JeepRage

is it heated seats turn on?? i think its the defroster that activates the mirrors, but i also could be wrong. mine work, and i dont think i have my seats on all the time during the winter...
Could be. If i get em im going to have a seperate switch

Aaron
Old 07-11-2001, 08:42 AM

According to the manual

The heated mirrors are activated by the rear window defroster. The manual also implies that all Maximas have them (which is not true). The manual is usually very careful and says "if so equipped," but according to the manual, every model should have them.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:30 AM

whole dilemma

yeah this is turning out to be a dilemma. I know that the activation for it is the rear defogger. But I wasn't sure if there should be any type of "indicator" on the glass of the mirror (such as the three little curvy lines) to indicate that the mirrors are heated. I have seen on Lincoln town cars that there is that sign to indicate that they are "heated."

btw, what the heck is the difference between the heated and non heated mirrors. Can anyone tell me what the heated mirrors are supposed to do? I still notice that water stick to the mirror and there is moisture.

btw, if you have the heated mirrors and the rear defogger is on, can you actually feel "heat" on the two side mirrors if you were to touch them?
Originally posted by Kevin Wong
The heated mirrors are activated by the rear window defroster. The manual also implies that all Maximas have them (which is not true). The manual is usually very careful and says "if so equipped," but according to the manual, every model should have them.
Old 07-11-2001, 01:10 PM

Re: whole dilemma

btw, if you have the heated mirrors and the rear defogger is on, can you actually feel "heat" on the two side mirrors if you were to touch them?
I don't know about the Maxima's heated mirrors. When I touch my RX300 heated mirror surfaces after the defroster is on for maybe 30 seconds, I feel them warm.
Old 07-11-2001, 04:02 PM

My 1996 Taurus had heated mirrors. They were activated when my rear window defroster was activated. Like jiaxima96, they get warm within a minute. Better to try this on a cold night.

-V
Old 07-11-2001, 11:36 PM
4 Maximas and counting

the heated mirror breakdown...

All 4th gens are pre-wired for the low-fluid temp sensor.
If you have heated seats, you also have heated mirrors (they go together in a package, along with the sensor and HD battery). The heated mirrors turn on with the rear defrosters.
If you feel like splicing into the rear defrost wiring, you can add in heated mirrors. Instead of getting the entire mirror assembly at roughly $175 each, you could by the wired glass for $35 or so each.

Aaron
Old 07-12-2001, 01:53 AM

Re: the heated mirror breakdown...

Originally posted by philpoe
If you have heated seats, you also have heated mirrors (they go together in a package, along with the sensor and HD battery). The heated mirrors turn on with the rear defrosters.
If you feel like splicing into the rear defrost wiring, you can add in heated mirrors. Instead of getting the entire mirror assembly at roughly $175 each, you could by the wired glass for $35 or so each.

Thanks for the great info. Will the stock rear window defrost circuit have enough current to power two heated mirrors as well? $35/side almost seems doable.

Also, do our cars already have the light for low coolant level and we just need to add the sensor? If so, where is the sensor located? Thanks.

-V
Old 07-12-2001, 03:52 AM

Re: According to the manual

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
The manual also implies that all Maximas have them (which is not true).
How is it not true? It's a standard feature dating back to the third gens.
Old 07-12-2001, 04:08 AM
4 Maximas and counting

Re: Re: the heated mirror breakdown...

just passing on what I've learned here
AFAIK, the rear defrost wiring is where the mirrors normally get their juice, it just has a splice with a socket on winter packaged cars.
4th gens do have the light in the dash already. to make use of it, the sensor is an inexpensive part and you have to puncture the resevoir to install. I found it in a search (goood luck with the current search engine). I never implemented it, but I'm considering putting the entire winter package on my car (minus the battery). The seats are the expensive part. AFAIK, wiring for the seats to draw juice from already exists. You have to run the switch (which comes with the seat) under the console though.

Originally posted by vmok

Thanks for the great info. Will the stock rear window defrost circuit have enough current to power two heated mirrors as well? $35/side almost seems doable.

Also, do our cars already have the light for low coolant level and we just need to add the sensor? If so, where is the sensor located? Thanks.

-V
Old 07-12-2001, 06:25 AM

Re: According to the manual

Originally posted by littledog

How is it not true? It's a standard feature dating back to the third gens.
I don't know what the manual says. I had to go to the dealer to get my mirror replaced and they confirmed that it was NOT heated. Infact they called me back and asked me it my car had heated mirrors or not. So, I know that my car does NOT have 'em. So much for a standard feature. BTW I have a 99SE with the S & C Package (pretty much loaded except the leather and ABS)
Old 07-12-2001, 06:44 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Info on low washer fluid sensor

Originally posted by vmok

-V

Check out my thread on it.... i added a low washer fluid sensor to mine....easy job......check on the side where the fluid tank is....the sensor wire will be taped to the power wire for the washer fluid pump....the sensor was 17$ from nissan....just dremel out a hole.......make sure the rubber grommet fits nice and tight...insert the sensor and plug it in....assuming the tank will be empty at this step...your light should come on........as far as where to make the hole for it.....its like a 1" diameter hole youll have to make....there is only one place on the bottom most part of fluid tank...thats where i put mine........works like a champ. use the search (good luck) i have a post with part # and everything.

Aaron
Old 07-12-2001, 07:49 AM

Re: Info on low washer fluid sensor

i added a low washer fluid sensor to mine....easy job......check on the side where the fluid tank is....the sensor wire will be taped to the power wire for the washer fluid pump....the sensor was 17$ from nissan....just dremel out a hole.......make sure the rubber grommet fits nice and tight...insert the sensor and plug it in....assuming the tank will be empty at this step...your light should come on........as far as where to make the hole for it.....its like a 1" diameter hole youll have to make....there is only one place on the bottom most part of fluid tank...thats where i put mine

Aaron
Hi Aaron,
Guess you have to take the fluid tank out and drill the hole? From above or from below? Need to take the black piece that covers the bottom side of the car on fluid tank side? Basically I'd like to know how to access to the sensor hole spot as well as to the pre-wired connector.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2001, 11:43 AM

Re: the heated mirror breakdown...

yeah I have the heated seats in my car. I just can't tell the difference between the heated mirror and NO heated mirror effects. Does the heated mirror do anything for you--such as dry up the moisture on the face of the glass? I think that it is the same mirrors of the non heated.

I was just wondering--what was the original intent of manufacturers creating heated mirrors in cars?

Originally posted by philpoe

Old 07-12-2001, 12:07 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Uggg......

The low washer sensor mod has been added to the 4th gen maintenance sticky, with Aaron95se being credited for his prior post last week. It's easy to see.

Search results for "washer fluid sensor":

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

The search is quirky, but works fine.
Old 07-12-2001, 12:12 PM

Maybe it's for melting the ice on the mirror surface? Like if the car is parked outside in winter, the windshield can get a layer of ice. Below hot air towards it and ice will melt. Hot air has no way towards the mirror so they use built-in heating instead.
Old 07-12-2001, 07:18 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Uggg......

Originally posted by bill99gxe
The low washer sensor mod has been added to the 4th gen maintenance sticky, with Aaron95se being credited for his prior post last week. It's easy to see.

Search results for "washer fluid sensor":

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

The search is quirky, but works fine.

Why thank ya Bill

Aaron
Old 07-13-2001, 08:30 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Uggg......

Why thank ya Bill

Aaron
Aaron,

I thought I sent you an e-mail to inform you of this so you could help spread the word, but obviously it slipped my mind.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:38 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Re: Re: Uggg......

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Aaron,

I thought I sent you an e-mail to inform you of this so you could help spread the word, but obviously it slipped my mind.
LOL Nope! I also have 2 pics....one of the sensor and one of it installed in my fluid resevoir. i'll email them so you can add them to the sticky... Thanks for putting it up there. Heck...i guess its not a mod but some, like myself tend to run dry on their fluid and then when needed, dont have any! So i figured i would add the feature.

Aaron