4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starting out...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 08:44 AM

Hi Everyone,
I have been browsing on here for about a month or so now and it look like I am finally getting my Maxima. I have been looking around and Finally found a 1998 Maxima SE 5-Speed with options like Bose Sunroof etc that I was trying to find. Now as just about everyone on here it is time to have some fun with mods etc. But here is what I was looking to find out. Alot of people have the same type of mods ( exhaust, airfilters etc) What mods do you recommend going for first that will give me better performance. I guess what I am lookingfor is to see what you think makes the biggest diffrerences so I can go for some of theese first. Thanks for any ideas or help.

SuDZ
Old 07-11-2001, 09:09 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Bose Sunroof...that thing must rock!

Anyway...
First, get an FSTB. Don't pay more than $50 for it.
Second, clear front (diamond cut) and rear turn signals. Again don't pay more than $50 for the fronts and you'll have to make the rears yourself.
Third, RSB...pick one.
Fourth, Y-pipe...pick one.

After that...whatever, whenever.

If you do just the stuff mentioned above, you'll be very happy with your car.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You want more performance bang for the buck?
-FSTB - definately notice that it handles better
-Intake - Stillen or CAI
-Y-pipe - Loud though

That's a couple of the easiest and quickest way to get some better performance and more power....
Old 07-11-2001, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Bose Sunroof...that thing must rock!

Anyway...
First, get an FSTB. Don't pay more than $50 for it.
Second, clear front (diamond cut) and rear turn signals. Again don't pay more than $50 for the fronts and you'll have to make the rears yourself.
Third, RSB...pick one.
Fourth, Y-pipe...pick one.

After that...whatever, whenever.

If you do just the stuff mentioned above, you'll be very happy with your car.

The clear lenses make that much of a performance increase huh? hehe Thanks everyone for the advise so far it has been great.
Old 07-11-2001, 02:10 PM

They make the front look MUCH better.
Old 07-11-2001, 02:21 PM

I'm in the same boat

I'm glad I found this thread cause I'm in the same boat. I just recently bought a 97 SE Auto w/ the Bose and Sunroof that I was looking for. I'm guessing on the FSTB Courtesy Nissan would be good to get that from. Someone mentioned not to pay more than $50 for it, Courtesy's is $80. Is there somewhere else to get it? Where is a good place to get the RSB? Are both of these easy installs? Does the Stillen intake require any mods to the car itself other than removing the factor air filter compartment? (bolting, etc?) I'm definitely going to look into the clear corners. Probably get them from Courtesy too.
Old 07-11-2001, 02:30 PM

Re: I'm in the same boat

Originally posted by HSVMaxima
I'm glad I found this thread cause I'm in the same boat. I just recently bought a 97 SE Auto w/ the Bose and Sunroof that I was looking for. I'm guessing on the FSTB Courtesy Nissan would be good to get that from. Someone mentioned not to pay more than $50 for it, Courtesy's is $80. Is there somewhere else to get it? Where is a good place to get the RSB? Are both of these easy installs? Does the Stillen intake require any mods to the car itself other than removing the factor air filter compartment? (bolting, etc?) I'm definitely going to look into the clear corners. Probably get them from Courtesy too.
Try the Part for Sale forum or E-Bay for the handling components and the clear corners.the FSTB is an easy install, the RSB, a little harder. Directions areavailable at www.maximadriver.com in the how-2 section. And the airbox can be taken out in the course of about 5 minutes.
Old 07-11-2001, 02:50 PM

I have a set of front clears from courtesy I would sell for $35 plus shipping. Let me know if one of you are interested. I had them on my car for about a month but they are in perfect condition. Email me if you are interested.
Old 07-11-2001, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

go for a Place Racing CAI go to Custommaxima.com they have a group deal on it... get a Y-Pipe... for handling i believe the most important would be a Rear Sway Bar... Stillens is best cuz its adjustable but the others are alot cheaper...
Old 07-11-2001, 04:06 PM

I agree exactly with MadMax95... FSTB for handling, Intake, then y-pipe... come to think of it, those are the exact parts I have in my car... (except I bought the RSTB at the same time I got my FSTB because they weren't going to charge me any extra or shipping...)

Why not drive the car a couple a months like the way it is now first? Then you can appreciate the smoothness and quiet of how it is now. It will also make you appreciate how much the FSTB helps after you install it and how much the intake/y-pipe make the car feel sportier!

-V
Old 07-11-2001, 04:10 PM

Hey you have a black maxima go ahead and get the front clear bumpers the car looks real nice with that.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:30 AM

Making up my mind

Well it looks like everyone says that for handling the FSB is the way to go. I think I may take a look into picking one up. Maybe along with that while I am at it I will go for the airfilter mainly because on my other previous cars it was what I went for first and is a decent HP gain for the money. How much typically were you guys spending on things like the Y pipe etc. What does the y pipe do mainly for you? On other cars I had the ypipe was used to connect another muffler but I dont think that is the case here. Just curious.

Thanks Again
SuDZ
Old 07-12-2001, 11:35 AM

Re: Making up my mind

Originally posted by SuDZ
Well it looks like everyone says that for handling the FSB is the way to go. I think I may take a look into picking one up. Maybe along with that while I am at it I will go for the airfilter mainly because on my other previous cars it was what I went for first and is a decent HP gain for the money. How much typically were you guys spending on things like the Y pipe etc. What does the y pipe do mainly for you? On other cars I had the ypipe was used to connect another muffler but I dont think that is the case here. Just curious.

Thanks Again
SuDZ
Where do you live? I ordered my Stillen Y pipe from a shop here in Houston for 375. He will charge me 45 to install. I don't have a good area to work on my car (live in an apt) so I have to pay a mechanic. The Y pipe removes three precat "bricks" which really opens up exhaust, hence the volume increase. Typically, you can shop around and find CAI kits for anywhere from 189 to 250. I got mine from a wrecked Max installed to mine with FSTB (chromed for show) for 185. That is not an everyday deal...
Old 07-12-2001, 11:43 AM

Your Y pipe comes off your exhaust manifold and goes to your main catilytic converter. It eliminates your two precats and makes more noise.....
Old 07-12-2001, 02:46 PM

Noise

How much more noise are you talking about? Is it almost annoying I was looking at greg Petres sight and he said that it wasnt loud with the stock muffler on a 1999 SE. Also another thing pooped into mind about the Y pipe. I live in Massachusetts and we have all the emmisions laws and so forth, does getting rid of the two precats change your emmisions much? I would hate to install it only to find out I had to remove it a little while later for that reason. It would bum me out big time.

SuDZ
Old 07-12-2001, 03:01 PM

I'm not sure how noisy it is by itself, I've got stillen exhaust and it noisy all together.
As far as emisions goes, I haven't had mine tested yet but I'm pretty sure the concensus on the board is that there isn't a problem passing.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:24 AM

Re: Noise

How much more noise are you talking about? Is it almost annoying I was looking at greg Petres sight and he said that it wasnt loud with the stock muffler on a 1999 SE. Also another thing pooped into mind about the Y pipe. I live in Massachusetts and we have all the emmisions laws and so forth, does getting rid of the two precats change your emmisions much? I would hate to install it only to find out I had to remove it a little while later for that reason. It would bum me out big time.

SuDZ
My understanding about the Y pipe is that it would most likely fail an emissions test if the car (Main Catalytic converter) is tested cold. If you drive the car for even 10 or 15 minutes, the cat should be hot enough to pass. I am not a mechanic, but that is my understanding.

I have the CAI which adds noticeable noise under acceleration. I will have the Stillen Y in another week or so. I can record the volume to a wave file and e-mail to you if you like..
Old 07-13-2001, 10:28 AM

Re: Re: Noise

Originally posted by maximaman1997

My understanding about the Y pipe is that it would most likely fail an emissions test if the car (Main Catalytic converter) is tested cold. If you drive the car for even 10 or 15 minutes, the cat should be hot enough to pass. I am not a mechanic, but that is my understanding.

I have the CAI which adds noticeable noise under acceleration. I will have the Stillen Y in another week or so. I can record the volume to a wave file and e-mail to you if you like..
Sure it would be cool just for a general idea anyhow. This is what makes theese boards rock is the info you can find here. So It seems everyone says check out strut bars because of handling and such... which do you guys think makes more of a difference the front or the back?

SuDZ
Old 07-13-2001, 11:09 AM

From what I've read they both make a big difference but the most notable difference will come from the RSB. I'm no expert that's just I've read on these forums. They suggest going with the FSTB, then followed by the RSB.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:05 PM

Tower strut bars

Originally posted by HSVMaxima
From what I've read they both make a big difference but the most notable difference will come from the RSB. I'm no expert that's just I've read on these forums. They suggest going with the FSTB, then followed by the RSB.
I have the Addeco FSTB (Chromed from a totaled show Max)and I noticed a handling change immediatly. I will order the Rear from Courtesy Nissan today to ship on Monday for ~ $70.00.

The CAI is pretty nice too. Noticeable changes both performance and volume under hard exceleration.
Old 07-13-2001, 10:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Well about the noise... with a stock exhaust, the y-pipe isnt too bad, but with a combo of the Y-Pipe and custom exhasut the noise is LOUD... maybe as an alternative put in the 5th gen exhaust to control the noise while gaining some performance...
yup the RSB makes the most difference cuza the max's beam susp... the FSTB makes a good diff too... i havent heard that the RSTB makes that much of a diff and not many peeps have it
Old 07-14-2001, 10:15 AM

Smog?

Any of these mods significantly increase emissions? Any way to reduce it when stopped for smog test? Cops here have mobile machines which they bring out to shows and known areas to test for emissions. Fines are usually $1,000.

MaXXX
Old 07-15-2001, 03:32 PM

Re: Smog

Wow, they havent started that around me yet. Luckily. Where is it that you are it sounds pretty tight. Do they do it on a regular pullover or just people who seem to have louder non stock exhausts?

SuDZ
Old 07-16-2001, 04:24 PM

Emissions

Also another thing pooped into mind about the Y pipe. I live in Massachusetts and we have all the emmisions laws and so forth, does getting rid of the two precats change your emmisions much? I would hate to install it only to find out I had to remove it a little while later for that reason. It would bum me out big time.
SuDZ
I just want to point out that Stillen's Y pipe (and perhaps others) are NOT street legal (according to the Stillen web page). I live in Maryland and we have emissions tests every 2 years. I'm skeptical about the comment that we "should" pass emssions after letting the car warm up to operating temps. I have yet to see a post where someone passed an emissions test with a Y pipe (if i'm wrong someone school me!) I've held off on getting a Y pipe for this reason (i'm due for my test in Sept). Taking it off and putting it on is some hassle (not to mention extra loot!).
Old 07-16-2001, 05:45 PM

Lol, if you're anywhere near Jersey I can get any car you want through inspection if you, if thats what you're worried about.
Old 07-16-2001, 07:35 PM
ybelm620

starting out

First anf foremost welcome aboard. I would recommend that you do the suspension first. Thats what i should have did and now i have to get new struts because i did not change my struts when i changed my springs. Do the struts/shocks, front and rear strut tower bar and get it out of the way. Then start from the engine and do your intake system, Placeracing CAI. Then if you can swing it replace the ecu, Jim Wolf TECH, then change your injectors. With that alone you will feel much more power, also try to get light weight pullys. Then now the engine is out of the way do ur exhaust. Get a stillen/warpspeed/cattman downpipes. get a Random TECH high flow Catalyctic converter, and get a cat back. I would stronly recommend the HKS hiper cat-back. Hopes this helps.

Old 07-17-2001, 06:31 AM

Re: starting out

Originally posted by ybelm620
First anf foremost welcome aboard. I would recommend that you do the suspension first. Thats what i should have did and now i have to get new struts because i did not change my struts when i changed my springs. Do the struts/shocks, front and rear strut tower bar and get it out of the way. Then start from the engine and do your intake system, Placeracing CAI. Then if you can swing it replace the ecu, Jim Wolf TECH, then change your injectors. With that alone you will feel much more power, also try to get light weight pullys. Then now the engine is out of the way do ur exhaust. Get a stillen/warpspeed/cattman downpipes. get a Random TECH high flow Catalyctic converter, and get a cat back. I would stronly recommend the HKS hiper cat-back. Hopes this helps.
This progression sounds pretty standard. The same advice I have been given since logging posts. I did get my Unorthodox Racing pulley yesterday. Belts will be here today. Should have them on this weekend.
The only reason I am waiting on suspension is so that I can afford to do brakes at the same time. I would like to save a few bucks on labor if possible.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:19 AM

Injectors

What is it that you do to uprgrade the injectors? I saw earlier that you mentioned getting that done. Is it something that allows more air or fuel through? Also what type of difference is noticed with this done? Who makes a product for this you would recommend?
Old 07-17-2001, 12:00 PM

Re: Injectors

What is it that you do to uprgrade the injectors? I saw earlier that you mentioned getting that done. Is it something that allows more air or fuel through? Also what type of difference is noticed with this done? Who makes a product for this you would recommend?
That is a good question. I have on my plan to install 300Z fuel pump and fuel filter but I was unaware of an injector swap. Hmmmmmm
Old 07-17-2001, 12:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: First Mods...

If I were you I would go for a CAI (Cold Air Intake), Y-pipe, or a Stillen lip (If your going for looks over performance). Just trying to help.
Old 07-17-2001, 08:01 PM

Stilen Lip

I think on the looks stuff i would hold off for now. I think I might go for the look where it seems stock but does have some aftermarket power to it. I have always liked cars better that way anyhow since when you bloow them away it keeps them guessing as to how and not people looking at body mods and expectiong other stuff done. I dont know thats just me.

SuDZ
Old 07-18-2001, 06:06 AM

Re: Stilen Lip

I think on the looks stuff i would hold off for now. I think I might go for the look where it seems stock but does have some aftermarket power to it. I have always liked cars better that way anyhow since when you bloow them away it keeps them guessing as to how and not people looking at body mods and expectiong other stuff done. I dont know thats just me.

SuDZ
I am the same way Sudz. I turned down an opportunity to buy a completely custom interior from a totalled show car here in Houston because I wanted to get the performance mods first. My goal is to have all those mods before Thanksgiving. I am getting married at that time and I want to put the Stillen body kit on the week before that way the car looks really good when we drive to our reception. (I am just an old man regaining lost youth he he he he he)
Old 07-18-2001, 08:28 AM

Clear Corners

Clear corner lights are one look I think I may go with just because I like the look of it. Is there much a difference between the regular clear ones and the Diaond Cut ones? If so which would you go with/ prefer. It seems I can get clear corners for about 35 and diamond ones for 50. Any recommendations?

SuDZ
Old 07-18-2001, 09:12 AM

Clear Corners

Clear corner lights are one look I think I may go with just because I like the look of it. Is there much a difference between the regular clear ones and the Diaond Cut ones? If so which would you go with/ prefer. It seems I can get clear corners for about 35 and diamond ones for 50. Any recommendations?

SuDZ
Old 07-18-2001, 09:34 AM

Diamond Cut

Go with the diamond cut they look much better. CustomMaxima.com has some pics of them.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:39 PM

true

Yeah they do look better. I think for a few extra bucks I will go with them then.
Old 07-18-2001, 01:10 PM

Brake Lines

Hey Guys more questions for ya's. Just in case you were nt sick of me already hehe. I was wondering how much of a difference stainless steel brake lines make. Is there one or is it just for show or what? Also when you switch them what the difference between brake fluids. I seen different boiling temps but does that matter also?

Thanks
SuDZ