4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bright corner light question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 06:16 PM

Bright corner light question

So I decided to make my lights bright today (the side lights next to the headlights) by doing the nub trick. I wonder if the housing would melt on the long run... anyone?
Old 04-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Under the radar

I did that on mine, but i didnt notice any difference in the brightness.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by ComradeJew
So I decided to make my lights bright today (the side lights next to the headlights) by doing the nub trick. I wonder if the housing would melt on the long run... anyone?
I've had mine modded like that for easily a year and a half now and the housings are perfectly fine. Word of warning, however, the bulbs will not last as long. I have the silverstar amber bulbs and they only lasted about a year before they burnt out.
Originally Posted by Max_Out
Then you did it wrong. It's like double the brightness.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:57 PM

You did one of 2 things wrong:

1.) You cut the wrong nub on the bulbs.

2.) You put it back into the bulb holder wrong.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
I've had mine modded like that for easily a year and a half now and the housings are perfectly fine. Word of warning, however, the bulbs will not last as long. I have the silverstar amber bulbs and they only lasted about a year before they burnt out.

Then you did it wrong. It's like double the brightness.
Yeah I got the same bulbs - they look really good.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Under the radar

They still work right, but i just didnt notice any difference... I followed the write-up to the t.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Bacon Lover

They still work right, but i just didnt notice any difference... I followed the write-up to the t.
No, you didn't If you followed it to a T, it would work. It didn't work, therefore you didn't follow it to a T. WhiteA32 already commented, but, I'm going to say you put it back in the same way you took it out. If you had cut the wrong nub I'm not sure it would turn on at all.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Under the radar

No, you didn't If you followed it to a T, it would work. It didn't work, therefore you didn't follow it to a T. WhiteA32 already commented, but, I'm going to say you put it back in the same way you took it out. If you had cut the wrong nub I'm not sure it would turn on at all.

humm well i cut the **** (cant remember which one, but it was the one specified in the write-up). They still work, but again I dont notice any difference. Although i tested them in flat light, and not in the dark, so maybe they are brighter.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:13 PM

I did this to mine and it did crack the housing after about a year. So, to me, it isn't worth doing.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Under the radar

Originally Posted by Dave H.
I did this to mine and it did crack the housing after about a year. So, to me, it isn't worth doing.

humm, i think the only way the housing would crack is, the light got the plastic really hot, then a rock or some debris hit it.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:30 PM

Did you check to see if the bulb is a double filament or were they replaced with a single filament?

-------

I did mine a few years ago and both corner lights cracked. I'm still running them this way because it matches my headlight instead of the dull amber look.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Bacon Lover

humm, i think the only way the housing would crack is, the light got the plastic really hot, then a rock or some debris hit it.
More so extreme temperature changes, I think. Most people who have issues with it are in the North and whenever it's real cold out they turn on their lights and the bulb gets real hot. That huge change in temperature very fast can have bad affects on the plastic.

Take a look at the write-up and double-check it against how you have it set up again. Not having it in the housing could throw off how it looks.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Under the radar

Originally Posted by aznprid972
Did you check to see if the bulb is a double filament or were they replaced with a single filament?

-------

I did mine a few years ago and both corner lights cracked. I'm still running them this way because it matches my headlight instead of the dull amber look.
I had the dual... One point on one side, and the other point on the other at the bottom. I sniped one (think the bottom) wrapped it in black electrical tape, and reinstalled it. Took me all of 10 mins to do.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Bacon Lover

I had the dual... One point on one side, and the other point on the other at the bottom. I sniped one (think the bottom) wrapped it in black electrical tape, and reinstalled it. Took me all of 10 mins to do.
You wanted to snip the top one and install it so the bottom one was in the bulb holder where the top one previously was (yes, so that it sticks out farther than it used to by a couple mm maybe, such that there would be nothing in the bottom of the holder where the bottom nub used to go).
Old 04-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Under the radar

You wanted to snip the top one and install it so the bottom one was in the bulb holder where the top one previously was (yes, so that it sticks out farther than it used to by a couple mm maybe).

maybe it was the top... ill have to look into it. Regardless, Im very detailed orientated, so i know i followed the write-up lol, I just dont have the best short term memory
Old 04-21-2007, 09:44 PM

its either he cant notice the diffrence or he put it back the right way instead of the modded way. if you do this mod there is no freaking way for you not to noticed, the light diffrence is more obvious the highbeam lowbeam.

i got those silverstar bulbs as well for 11$ and one burnt out. i reversed them back to stock now that why both are working =P. i love the blue tint on them durring the day but i dont think its worth the money anymore.

any of you guys with the silverstar bulbs replaced them with another set of silverstars.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:07 PM

Yeah basically the blub is going to sit higher then it did before you installed it.

Just look at my sig, and Tatanko's. You can see they are brighter, if yours don't look like that, then take the bulbs out and put install them in the other notch.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
i got those silverstar bulbs as well for 11$ and one burnt out. i reversed them back to stock now that why both are working =P. i love the blue tint on them durring the day but i dont think its worth the money anymore.

any of you guys with the silverstar bulbs replaced them with another set of silverstars.
I replaced mine with another set. I don't like the blue/green they have when turned off, that's not why I bought them. I bought them because they are a true, deep orange and not the baby-puke yellow that orange-tinted bulbs are.
Originally Posted by WhiteA32
Just look at my sig, and Tatanko's. You can see they are brighter, if yours don't look like that, then take the bulbs out and put install them in the other notch.

Just a wee bit of light they put out, eh?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 PM

I replaced mine with another set. I don't like the blue/green they have when turned off, that's not why I bought them. I bought them because they are a true, deep orange and not the baby-puke yellow that orange-tinted bulbs are.

i bought them #1 for the deep orange, a lot deeper when u do the mod and #2 cause it actually look pretty nice blue/greenish. GF calls them "alien bulbs" but i really dislike $10 a set of bulbs