4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

daytime running lights wiring? projector mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Black Lion

daytime running lights wiring? projector mod

hey guys im going with the R34 headlamps and im modding them with the TL bixenon projectors, now being that i have bixenon i wont need the high beam that the r34 has in it. So im looking on making it a daytime running light( just like the TL) that is totaly independant of the projector light ie, I want to have the option of running it with or without the projector light. Now i have done numerous searches here and on HIDPLANET.COM and havent found my answer on how to do this. Any info will help guys! thank you.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Black Lion

i cant believe there is no one here that can help me with this.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 PM

I assume that you didnt have daytime running lights stock? I dont think any american cars came with them stock. If you dont have them stock then you may have some serious wiring to do to hook them up, the easiest thing would be run a 12v switch and you can turn them on whenever you want. The only problem with that is the light would be bright, not a dim running light, you'd have to install resistors, etc
gimme a bit and I'll show you the USA wiring diagram and CAN wiring diagram(with daytime running lights)
Old 04-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get your hands on the wiring diagram for the headlights. I have not yet worked on my headlights beyond replacing bulbs, I do however have some basic electrical knowledge. You will have to examine the headlight circuit to look for a suitable splicing location, but be wary of a drop in current not just voltage. I wish I could give you more helpful advice at this time, but I need to look at that electrical diagram myself...
Old 04-24-2007, 08:14 PM

CANADA WITH DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS: :

USA WIRING DIAGRAM:
Old 04-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Bacon Lover

No wiring diagrams needed. Simply tap into an ignition-controlled 12v source (cig. lighter for example) and have it wired into a relay to get power from the battery (if you so choose) and install a resistor on the path to the bulb to keep brightness controlled. Bam, DRLs. They would be on all the time as long as your key was in the ON position, though, meaning don't sit with the car on listening to the radio for a long time. If you wanted to make them turn off with the clearance lights and/or headlights, all it takes is a second relay to trigger the power to be cut with a signal from the clearance lights or headlights.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
No wiring diagrams needed. Simply tap into an ignition-controlled 12v source (cig. lighter for example) and have it wired into a relay to get power from the battery (if you so choose) and install a resistor on the path to the bulb to keep brightness controlled. Bam, DRLs. They would be on all the time as long as your key was in the ON position, though, meaning don't sit with the car on listening to the radio for a long time. If you wanted to make them turn off with the clearance lights and/or headlights, all it takes is a second relay to trigger the power to be cut with a signal from the clearance lights or headlights.
I think he wants the daytime running lights to shut off when the main headlights are on however, hooking it up like that would not allow for this. And as far as tapping into a 12v ignition goes I dont know if autos have an ebrake, but if you tap into the ebrake switch then they wouldnt come on till you dropped the ebrake, would be a bit tougher and I wouldnt do it that way, but better than having the lights come on when your car isnt even running.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
soooo...how would you go about the relay for power cut when main lights go on? let us know...i am also interested in this.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 PM

relay is basically a fuse, I'm not sure exactly how you would hook it up, but if the vehicle didnt have daytime running lights stock there is a bunch of shyt you gotta do, not really worth it to me IMO, if you were dead set to get daytime running lights I'd just install a separate AUX switch with a resistor to lower the intensity of the light. But like I said not worth the effort/wiring IMO, unless you have that much free time to fuak around.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:54 AM

I have daytime running lights. My fogs turn on everytime my car does, hehe
Old 04-25-2007, 04:23 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I think he wants the daytime running lights to shut off when the main headlights are on however, hooking it up like that would not allow for this.
How wouldn't it? I clearly stated a second relay could be put in to allow for the headlights or clearance lights to signal the DRLs to turn off.
I dont know if autos have an ebrake

Originally Posted by jvelos3
soooo...how would you go about the relay for power cut when main lights go on? let us know...i am also interested in this.
I'm not positive as to what kind of relay would be needed for this. I inquired on another forum just last night about such a relay for a project I'm working on, so I'll have to get back to you on it.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Black Lion

I think he wants the daytime running lights to shut off when the main headlights are on however, hooking it up like that would not allow for this. And as far as tapping into a 12v ignition goes I dont know if autos have an ebrake, but if you tap into the ebrake switch then they wouldnt come on till you dropped the ebrake, would be a bit tougher and I wouldnt do it that way, but better than having the lights come on when your car isnt even running.
yes i want it independant, not on all the time. and i would also like to the option of either having it on or off with the projectors. but all this info gives me an idea of how to do it. thanks a lot guy for the help so far.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 AM

as far as having the option to have them on or off, as well as having them triggered, you are going to be getting into more electrical components and wiring. I'm also not sure what you would need as far as the components(relays, etc) go but do some searching on the net and you'll be able to figure it out.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:42 AM

relay is basically a fuse.
Not even close.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by jvelos3
All you would need to do is use a relay that is normally CLOSED so that way, battery power will go to the DRL's by default via the 2nd relay. But when you turn on the clearance lights and/or the low beams, you'll send power to the relay's coil and close it, cutting off battery power to the 2nd relay so the DRL's turn off.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by nismology
All you would need to do is use a relay that is normally CLOSED so that way, battery power will go to the DRL's by default via the 2nd relay. But when you turn on the clearance lights and/or the low beams, you'll send power to the relay's coil and close it, cutting off battery power to the 2nd relay so the DRL's turn off.
yes this seems like it may work, but the only problem is that on realy one you are on a set of normally closed contacts that means that you would have constant power to the DRLS! and i understand what you mean about realy two...when this energizes it send power to the realy one coil opening the set of normally closed contacts thus pulling DRL OUT of the circuit. this seems like it may be close to how i want it to operate but something is missing.as i stated you would have constant power from the normally closed contacts feeding the DRL.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Black Lion

CANADA WITH DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS: :

USA WIRING DIAGRAM:
THANKS for the diagram but its really small and i can hardly read it. where did you get that diagram from? yes i need to see if i can get a hold of the diagram for our headlights.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:14 PM

They won't be on if you use switched battery power through the contact on the first relay.

Now that i think about it, you only need one relay to the DRL's. Make the power through the relay contact switched so it's only on when the key is in the on or start position. You can just tap at the lead coming off of a switched power fusible link or fuse in the underhood fuse box. Then make the power to the coil the clearance light power. With the key in the off or acc position, the DRL's will be off. With the key in the on or start position, DRL's are on. When you turn on the clearance lights and/or low beams, power gets sent to the relay's coil, cutting off the battery power.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Black Lion

drl

They won't be on if you use switched battery power through the contact on the first relay.

Now that i think about it, you only need one relay to the DRL's. Make the power through the relay contact switched so it's only on when the key is in the on or start position. You can just tap at the lead coming off of a switched power fusible link or fuse in the underhood fuse box. Then make the power to the coil the clearance light power. With the key in the off or acc position, the DRL's will be off. With the key in the on or start position, DRL's are on. When you turn on the clearance lights and/or low beams, power gets sent to the relay's coil, cutting off the battery power.
you know what i have also givin it some thought, and the first way you stated with the two relays would work. the only down fall is that it wouldnt be an independant light,meaning when you turn on the low beams you will drop out battery power to the first relay shutting drl off. and yes the second way you stated would also work taking power off a fuse and with key on position would power drl... and running power to the relay coil from the low beam.thus shutting off drl when low beams are powered. You are the man thank you! i dont know if anyone has tried this, im concerned about burning something up do to added load in the circuit i tap into.. hmmm i can always put a fuse in the line feeding the drl and also a resistor in there to drop the voltage feeding drl so im not at full 12v providing a dimmer drl. Oh well... so much for an idependant drl i guess this will have to do. any ideas on what type of bulb i should use? im getting the r34 and i believe it comes with a 9005 bulb for seperate high beam. with this be sufficient enough? also what size resistor should i use to drop voltage going to drl so its not running at full brightness?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:27 PM

I wouldn't use the low beam power for the DRL's relay coil. You're gonna need it for the main HID/bixenon solenoid wiring, no? That's why i suggested using clearance/parking light power.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Black Lion

I wouldn't use the low beam power for the DRL's relay coil. You're gonna need it for the main HID/bixenon solenoid wiring, no? That's why i suggested using clearance/parking light power.
ok i got ya im runnning power from the fuse of where ever i can grap constant power so that when i turn the key switch to on the drl run.. and use parking/clearance power feeding the coil ,when clearance lights are on power goes to the realys coil and takes drl out of the circuit. this sound right? down fall doing it like this is that i would like to run drl with parking lights. and yes low beams power will be used for solenoid and hid power. one relay for low beams and one realy for high beams to solenoid with diode in parallel from low beam wire to high beam wire. is this correct?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
ok i got ya im runnning power from the fuse of where ever i can grap constant power so that when i turn the key switch to on the drl run..
Well if it's constant power the DRL's would be on anytime the low beams or clearance lights were off regardless of key position (including off). Not good. It's gotta be switched (on or start) power.

and use parking/clearance power feeding the coil ,when clearance lights are on power goes to the realys coil and takes drl out of the circuit. this sound right?
Exactly.

down fall doing it like this is that i would like to run drl with parking lights.
Well if you REALLY wanted to, i guess you could use the low beam power to the DRL coil as well as the low beam's coil. As soon as you hit the high beams and power is cut to the DRL coil the DRL's will come on with the xenon highbeams with this setup. And that way the DRL's could be on with the clearance lights.

and yes low beams power will be used for solenoid and hid power. one relay for low beams and one realy for high beams to solenoid with diode in parallel from low beam wire to high beam wire. is this correct?
I'm not sure exactly how the TL solenoid is wired up. Is it a simple 12V power and ground?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Black Lion

Well if it's constant power the DRL's would be on anytime the low beams or clearance lights were off regardless of key position (including off). Not good. It's gotta be switched (on or start) power.

Exactly.

Well if you REALLY wanted to, i guess you could use the low beam power to the DRL coil as well as the low beam's coil.

I'm not sure exactly how the TL solenoid is wired up. Is it a simple 12V power and ground?
yeah i meant constant power when the key is switched on. the best way to do this seems like just having the drl shut off when i power the low beam using power to feed the drl from the clearance light. eventhough i would like it to run with the low beam or without the low beam if i wanted... im not sure how to do it. as for the solenoid of the TL is a 12v red and black wire that operates a shield in the projector when you hit the high beam.

As soon as you hit the high beams and power is cut to the DRL coil the DRL's will come on with the xenon highbeams with this setup. And that way the DRL's could be on with the clearance lights.

how would the drl be on if you are cutting power to the drl coil when you hit the high beam? i wouldnt want drl to come on with the high beam. just on or off with the clearance and/or the low beams.i would want it to come on with the low beam for extra light if i need it,or just have it on with the clearance/parking light.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:19 PM

Hit me up on aim if possible.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Black Lion

Drl

Hit me up on aim if possible.
PM ME YOUR SCREEN NAME.