4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Remote Control "Beep" Acknowledgement

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 10:37 AM

Has anyone looked into the possibility or added a "beeper" to the factory remote control on the car to acknowledge that the car has received the signal from the remote when a button is pressed.

Similar to the aftermarket alarms that will chirp a remote button is pushed.

The Maxima lights do flash when the buttons are pressed, but they are very tough to see in the direct sunlight across a parking lot.

My wife's Toyota gently beeps when any buttons are pressed on the factory remote, in addition to flashing the lights.

I think this is a nice little feature and would like to add this feature to the Maxima if possible.

If anyone has already done this, could you please pass along any info.

Thanks

Nick
Old 07-12-2001, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Nicks98gle

I think this is a nice little feature and would like to add this feature to the Maxima if possible.
The Y2K and onward have this option. They can turn it on or OFF from the remote if I am not mistaken. As far as that goes for us, you I assume have a 98 GLE and I have a 99 SE, we are out of luck. I think we need to install a new security system to get that feature but I might be wrong.
Old 07-12-2001, 05:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RE: Beep...

Yes, you can get the beep for your car. If you go to www.jcwhitney.com , or order their catalog like I did, you will see it there. Its cheap too, like $20 bucks. But I bet installation is a b*tch. The point is that you can get the beep and its supposed to be a very small piece in the engine bay. As for the 5th generation Maxima, my buddy has a 2000 SE with everything, and his horn beeps when he locks it! Its sounds like he has a jacked up Chevy Pickup! Its a gay loud beep of the horn when your locking it, and nothing happens when you unlock it. I know his car is stock, so I'm guessing all 5th generations are like this. How gay! (Its all right you can still change it all you 5th gens) Just trying to help.
Old 07-12-2001, 06:07 PM

since we all know know that the factory alarm only protects the front doors (thanks nissan) I would just say it's worth upgrading to an aftermarket system.
Old 07-12-2001, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by theblue
since we all know know that the factory alarm only protects the front doors (thanks nissan)...
I just tried lowing all four windows on my 96 GXE, and activated security with the remote control and waited until the security red LED started blinking. Then I tried opening the door stub from inside. I found the rear door stub will also set the alarm off.
Old 07-12-2001, 07:18 PM

I have a friend with a 1996 300SX, and when you push a button the remote itself beeps. The Z remote looks completely identical to the one for my 1995 GLE.

I called my local dealership and asked about it, but they were totally clueless. Anyone care to look into this with a dealership that isn't full of morons?
Old 07-14-2001, 06:15 PM

J.C. Whitney ? Could you be more specific ?

What is it that they have ? A part specifically for Nissan alarms ? A generic part ? Would you be able to post the Whitney part number so we can find it ?

thanks,
bob
Old 07-14-2001, 06:24 PM

J.C. Whitney ? Could you be more specific ?

What is it that they have ? A part specifically for Nissan alarms ? A generic part ? Would you be able to post the Whitney part number so we can find it ?

thanks,
bob
Old 07-14-2001, 07:12 PM

RE: J.C. Whitney Alarm...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/SearchCatContainer.jhtml;$sessionid$WUI1YAQAAAP2ZWBBLJTSFFGYEFNGMIV0?_requ estid=77999 - the alarm is an add-on to the stock factory system (not a whole new system). It adds the chip, and you can wire it to chirp, flash lights, and horn at the same time if you want to. It activates alarm when courtesy lights go on (trunk, doors, even hood). You can buy an optional 2-stage sensor for $18. It works with the factory key fob. Just trying to help.
Old 07-14-2001, 07:31 PM
B.C.

Re: RE: J.C. Whitney Alarm...

Originally posted by Vyrus
http://www.jcwhitney.com/SearchCatContainer.jhtml;$sessionid$WUI1YAQAAAP2ZWBBLJTSFFGYEFNGMIV0?_requ estid=77999 - the alarm is an add-on to the stock factory system (not a whole new system). It adds the chip, and you can wire it to chirp, flash lights, and horn at the same time if you want to. It activates alarm when courtesy lights go on (trunk, doors, even hood). You can buy an optional 2-stage sensor for $18. It works with the factory key fob. Just trying to help.
Has anyone bought this system? I went to the link but there weren't any details about where you wire this device, etc.

Old 07-14-2001, 08:05 PM

Re: Re: RE: J.C. Whitney Alarm...

Originally posted by B.C.

Has anyone bought this system? I went to the link but there weren't any details about where you wire this device, etc.
I am interested about this idea, since its $18 for this so what about install? how hard it is?
Old 07-14-2001, 08:46 PM

some ideas

I looked into this a while back but didn't have the time to start work. Here's what I found and some possible ideas.

1. pin 18 of the BCM module shorts to ground in order to flash the hazards when the remote sends the signal to lock the car.

2. pin 21 of the BCM module will sound the horn if shorted to ground.

So, if you are near the BCM module (under the stereo), then connect those 2 lines and your horn should sound when the remote locks the car.

If you don't want to reach for the BCM module, an alternative is to short the same 2 wires where they meet in a main wire harness. For example, pin 18 of BCM is in the M4 connector and pin 21 is in the M3 connector. Both connectors are near the fuse box so find those 2 connectors, then find the above 2 wires in the connectors and connect them together. Make sure you verify that you have the right wires (multiple ways) before actually doing the work cause there's a lot of important signals there...

Lastly (and I like this the best but requires some parts lookup), locate the "Multi-Remote Control Relay-1" which is located in the trunk, next to the locking mech. This relay has a 12v line, as well as a line which shorts to ground when the remote locks the car (flashes hazards). Basically, find a spare relay and a spare chirper and hook it up so that when the original relay activates, it also activates the "new" relay, which causes the chirp.

Anyone got some time?
Old 07-14-2001, 09:11 PM

RE: J.C. Whitney Alarm...

The device is $49.99. The optional 2-stage sensor is $18. Sorry to make you say "that sucks". Just trying to help