4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5spd swap - CANNOT Build clutch pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Paradox Systems Vendor

5spd swap - CANNOT Build clutch pressure

Did the 5spd swap on a friend's car. Everything went smoothly, completed in one day pretty much. BUT!!! His car is stuck at my house because we cannot build clutch pressure. I dropped the tranny down one more time to make sure the throw out bearing was on correctly and everything was fine with the clutch release lever dohickey. Put the tranny back on, took the master cylinder off the car, the one ss braided line (from the GD), and the slave cylinder. Filled the master cylinder up to the full mark and with the line connecting the slave and master on, I pumped the lever on the master cylinder. The little nub on the slave cylinder pushed out further and further with each pump. I mounted it back up and it didn't push the lever! We bought a brand new slave cylinder and i'm about to just try a brand new master cylinder. I had 2 slave cylinders laying around, the new one makes 3, and 3 used master cylinders. 2 of the slave cylinders had leaky boots, 2 of the master cylinders, when the lever is pushed, nothing comes out. I also adjusted the clutch engagement point on the pedal in 3 ways. All the way high, all the way low, and in the middle. I'm spent. Could it be anything else?

Also tried a straight brake line between the two to ensure it wasn't the line. No leaks anywhere either, wtf. Just go out and buy a new master cylinder right? I feel like i'll do that, mount it up and still won't get pressure. Are we bleeding the clutch wrong? It isnt the OEM clutch lines. It is one stainless steel line that connects master to slave and that's it.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 AM

Anyone that has any input on this, please help. I need my car back. It's been 3 days! Also, thanks to TJ for going through with all this crap.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You didn't forget to install some 1/2" spacers for the master-cylinder when you did the the conversion did you....... Just buy the rebuild kit from nissan for the master cylinder, it's only like $8 and takes about two minutes to install if you already have the master cylinder removed.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Paradox Systems Vendor

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
You didn't forget to install some 1/2" spacers for the master-cylinder when you did the the conversion did you....... Just buy the rebuild kit from nissan for the master cylinder, it's only like $8 and takes about two minutes to install if you already have the master cylinder removed.
Nope, 1/2" spacers are in there.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Upper Midwest Wheel Whore

Double check to see the cluthc pedal is postitioned right. I remember when THT's swap was done the cltuch pedlas was not screwed on tightly. It had a weird angle which allowed for some slack on the pedal. Once that was addressed we pumped the clutch for almost 20 minutes straight before it started builiding any pressure.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:30 AM

its the spacers.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:22 AM

Remove the slave cylinder from the engine with the hose attached. Run fluid through the system until all the air bubbles are out of the system (push the pedal with the bleeder valve open, close the valve before you pull the pedal out. Repeat while keeping the reservoir full). The push rod on the slave cylinder should be extended when you finish getting the air out and close the valve. Put the slave cylinder back on the engine. You will have to compress the push rod into the slave cylinder to do this. Now the clutch's hydraulic system is pressurized and your pedal should feel much better. Double check your bleeder valve is tight with the cylinder mounted to the engine. This worked for me...hope it works for you!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Paradox Systems Vendor

Thanks guys, ill try this. I doubt its the spacers or clutch pedal angle position because the lever on the master cylinder goes full stroke in and out each pump. I'll try what you fellas suggested though. You would think on a straight 3' ss braided line, that i'd feel pressure sooner than 20 minutes though. :shrug:
Old 05-22-2007, 01:36 PM

I really hope this all works. We'll see later on. If anything changes I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 PM
<3's the all motor section

hey man whats up? try this...fill it with fluid..open the bleeder on the slave...open the cap on the master...if everything works...it should trickle out the bleeder by itself with no pumping....it might take a minute...but see if that works...if not, i would blame the master.

oh by the way...the ksports are nice man