4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cai

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Cai

Hello,

I decided get my first performance part to be Cai , I look at Injen cai for $274 does anyone else know where it might be cheaper than here
http://www.intensepower.com/incolairinma.html

I have also read that Ebay intake do the same Job, with a K & N filter , but where do I find the Filter??
Old 05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

Don't get an Injen. It's a horrible design. I would go with JWT/Stillen, or an eBay, PR style CAI. (Requires a hole in the fender)
Old 05-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Puppet Killer
Hello,

I decided get my first performance part to be Cai , I look at Injen cai for $274 does anyone else know where it might be cheaper than here
http://www.intensepower.com/incolairinma.html

I have also read that Ebay intake do the same Job, with a K & N filter , but where do I find the Filter??
I honestly believe that headers and a y-pipe would yield much better HP gains for the money spent, but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I feel that my maxima has adequate power and decent suspension from the factory. If you want to keep up with Ferraris on a budget, just pick up a sport bike. Much more efficient than trying to mod a 10+ year old family sedan.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Sold

be patient and check the f/s section. I have seen the injen cold air sell (used) for around 100.

for most, the intake is about the sound rather than the h/p gains.
It's like running a straight through muffler. MAYBE 1 HP. Maybe. But the sound. It lets people know your not stock when you step on it.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

1hp is a myth. The fastest N/A Maximas wouldn't be where they're at wit an intake. Tuning afr slightly helps even more.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:04 PM

definately go with the ebay cai. i installed one probably 8 months ago and have absolutely no complaints. when looking into the k&n filter, the package that i bought actually came with it. all in all the whole system (piping, rubber fitters, and k&n cone filter) cost me about $80 if i remember right. If you can't find a system that comes with the filter, you can always just go to your local auto parts store and buy one.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:21 PM

thanks. Everyone I'm also going to Order Lss y pipe this week or the next. I'm not sure on the Exhaust just yet, due Price, noise, and hp gains.
I'm not looking for exhaust thats loud, and I know its not much gain, so i'm thinking of skipping this mod and get Ecu upgrade perhaps TechnoSquare.

My goal is not to be the fastest, but to keep up with the New Civic Si 190 hp.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

Technosquare no longer reprograms 4th gen ECU's. Unless you can find a used one, you're out of luck.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 PM

grab one off of ebay like someone mentioned for around $35 shipped, get a K&N cone filter from somewhere and your set. filter is less than $50. oh, try to have a power drill to drill your fender hole, cuz my cheapo mechanics choice battery powered drill just didnt cut it, lol
Old 05-03-2007, 04:34 AM

go here. you'll be a lot happier.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:08 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

hows your crum?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
grab one off of ebay like someone mentioned for around $35 shipped, get a K&N cone filter from somewhere and your set. filter is less than $50. oh, try to have a power drill to drill your fender hole, cuz my cheapo mechanics choice battery powered drill just didnt cut it, lol

What kind of gains does that chip give?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:57 PM

i got one on ebay for $35 bucks and it works great it came with everything i needed except for that u need longer more flexible vacume lines or u can just leave that part in like i did and it sounds really awesome for about 35 bucks and 5 hours of cutting a whole into the fender with my dremal i think the brand name of what i got was a Dynasty Auto
Old 05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Team Ramrod

Ebay cai kit (drill hole into fender), k&n filter, stock resonator.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:11 PM

cai is a waste of time, unless you upgrade to a better y-pipe and headers. and, to the guy that said its not worth trying to upgrade a family sedan>> get a life. don't you see and read the forums about the people who improved their ride with lowered suspensions and new exhaust, my 95 gle is the best car i've ever owned, i cant wait to upgrade the suspension and motor mods and hids!!! thats what these forums are all about!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:22 PM

i agree.. i needed a large car that was reasonably fast... this is the perfect car for me.. why not do costemics/ handling mods such as lowering it, putting in a cai, strut bar... etc... i have all that plus a system in my car... after im done rims im not spending another dime except upkeep.. but i was looking at my car today and i thought to myself... wow this car is sexy... and original... have not seen another 4th gen modified in myt area at all... and even then id be different from them somewhat

and back to the post at hand... k2motor.com is where i bought mine.. thing sound amazing and id have to give a+ on product look and reliablility and cost me 50 bucks shipped
Old 05-03-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ray_289
huh?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought the racing_guys intake off ebay. Not bad for like $32 shipped but the piping isnt very well finished on the exterior, other than that I'd say its good for what it costs.

It does require you to cut a hole under the side fuel panel but with a decent power drill and a metal hole saw it was very very easy.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
cai is a waste of time, unless you upgrade to a better y-pipe and headers. and, to the guy that said its not worth trying to upgrade a family sedan>> get a life. don't you see and read the forums about the people who improved their ride with lowered suspensions and new exhaust, my 95 gle is the best car i've ever owned, i cant wait to upgrade the suspension and motor mods and hids!!! thats what these forums are all about!!!
You're starting to sound like the Civic or Eclipse guys who praise their rides as the best cars ever manufactured. I really do suspect that the 4th gen Maxima is your first or second car because once you start driving and experiencing other vehicles out there, you'll come to understand that modifying a car without a purpose is just wasting money. I know because I'm already $30,000 in the hole by modifying a sports car that I'm still not content with. If you want to just go fast, there are plenty of factory-tune vehicles that outperform a Maxima for not much more money. I bought my Maxima because I wanted a comfortable and reliable sedan to get to work, but I do drive twisty mountain roads for kicks.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by FantasyGod
You're starting to sound like the Civic or Eclipse guys who praise their rides as the best cars ever manufactured. I really do suspect that the 4th gen Maxima is your first or second car because once you start driving and experiencing other vehicles out there, you'll come to understand that modifying a car without a purpose is just wasting money. I know because I'm already $30,000 in the hole by modifying a sports car that I'm still not content with. If you want to just go fast, there are plenty of factory-tune vehicles that outperform a Maxima for not much more money. I bought my Maxima because I wanted a comfortable and reliable sedan to get to work, but I do drive twisty mountain roads for kicks.
I believe the term your missing here is "Enthusiast". Plenty of them around here with no misconception of what type of vehicle they own and are well aware of the performance capabilities of other cars out there.....but if the Max is your toy,why not make it fun?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:21 AM

thank you man, i appreciate someone making an obvious point. so what if there's factory tuned cars that are faster than a max, i always wanted a max cause its a sexy car and it still turns alot of heads when i cruise by. i keep her clean and maintain her always!!! just for your information, i'm 42, this is my 14th car and probably my favorite!!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
thank you man, i appreciate someone making an obvious point. so what if there's factory tuned cars that are faster than a max, i always wanted a max cause its a sexy car and it still turns alot of heads when i cruise by. i keep her clean and maintain her always!!! just for your information, i'm 42, this is my 14th car and probably my favorite!!!!

I'm on my second maxima which is probably the 10th car I've owned.. After owning and test driving a bunch of other cars I still like the maxima better..
Old 05-20-2007, 06:18 PM

the stock intake box is fine. you may even feel a loss of power esp in the lower rpms after changing to aftermarket intake. it is purely for sound. a true CAI (not injen) may get you 1-2 ponies.

do the ypipe for sure. i read you dont want anything loud so do the bpipe as well with the stock muffler. the two should get u a good bang for the buck performance upgrade.

and i dont know how many times i (we) must say this... but maintenance will do better than any upgrade/mod, make sure your sparks are good, filters, clean tb, clean fuel injectors.. etc. youll gain most power back from doing the simple things
Old 05-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Licensed to Spell

I still have a silver Place Racing CAI new in the box. I bought it for my '96 years ago and decided to go SC before I ever installed it. Place Racing went out of business a few years ago. I think Catman got all their left over stuff. I think he has two '95/'96 PR CAIs left. He's asking $200. I'll sell mine for $150 shipped if anyone wants.

- Josh
Old 05-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Whatchyou say?

Bomz ... e-bay ... cheap, easy, and no holes in your fender! I bought a Bomz CAI and have had no problems with it whatsoeva! I did have to mod it a bit, I used a piece of pluming pipe conector (< $5 @ Ace) to do it the way I wanted, but it sits in front of the engine and nice and low! Sounds great and I noticed more responsive throtle. Oh ... yea, I did cut the pipe too. But ... small price to pay (if you have any imagination, it'll fit) and IMHO, it does the same thing as if I spent a lot more $$$.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:09 PM

Does having CAI or short ram hurt gas mileage? Because, at $3.50 a gallon, I want all the mpg I can get.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by castlemax
Does having CAI or short ram hurt gas mileage? Because, at $3.50 a gallon, I want all the mpg I can get.

If you want to save money trust me don't mod your car. Leave it stock and make sure to keep up with the maintenance on it.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Bomz ... e-bay ... cheap, easy, and no holes in your fender! I bought a Bomz CAI and have had no problems with it whatsoeva! I did have to mod it a bit, I used a piece of pluming pipe conector (< $5 @ Ace) to do it the way I wanted, but it sits in front of the engine and nice and low! Sounds great and I noticed more responsive throtle. Oh ... yea, I did cut the pipe too. But ... small price to pay (if you have any imagination, it'll fit) and IMHO, it does the same thing as if I spent a lot more $$$.
Well you do not have a CAI. If you didn't drill in the fender you don't have a CAI.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ray_289
Holy Mother of GOD!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Well you do not have a CAI. If you didn't drill in the fender you don't have a CAI.

What is your deffinition of a CAI? Mine is that fresher, cooler, and more air is passed to the TB and thus into the manifold. I don't understand how cutting a hole in the fender constitutes weather or not it is termed a CAI. Mine sets in front of and down under the trany. I tried just putting the filter behind the batery, but at higher revs, it was cutting out due to a lack of air flow. I am not going to hack up the bodywork of my car, IMO it just doesn't look very profesional.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:26 PM

What is your deffinition of a CAI? Mine is that fresher, cooler, and more air is passed to the TB and thus into the manifold. I don't understand how cutting a hole in the fender constitutes weather or not it is termed a CAI. Mine sets in front of and down under the trany. I tried just putting the filter behind the batery, but at higher revs, it was cutting out due to a lack of air flow. I am not going to hack up the bodywork of my car, IMO it just doesn't look very profesional.
Well the only "real" version of a CAI on OUR cars is the PR style, through the fender wall. It is taking cooler air from inside the fender wall straight to the TB. It is pretty short and very efficient. I dont have a PR style, I relocated my battery and put my air filter right behind the headlight. It has a little ram air effect with cooler air.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:27 PM

the definition of a CAI is exactly that. it is an intake that allows the car to input cooler air into the engine which helps for better power production. in order to achieve this, the CAI relocates the filter to a place where it can have access to cooler air. this means relocating the filter outside of the engine bay where the engine heat wont effect the air temp wise as much. typically, the classic way to do this is to drill a hole in the inside of the fender and place the filter between the fender in the body. However, just because u drill a hole in the fender doesnt mean that u "hack up the body" or make it look unprofesional, it all depends on the quality of the work done. As far as if you dont drill, you dont have a CAI, i guess that's debatable. as long as the filter is in a place that allows for cooler air to get to it i would assume that it would fit the name of "CAI". As far as locating the filter in front of the tranny? idk that still seems to be in the engine bay to me..... unless its all the way under the car???
Old 05-21-2007, 08:42 PM

Well your idea of a CAI is correct. It's having cooler air pulled in. Your idea of where it is does not stand. Anywhere inside the engine bay is not a CAI. Think about how hot the engine bay is. You think anywhere in there actually has cooler air? No. I don't know what you're talking about with your filter being down where the tranny is. Doesn't make sense to me. Also, something was def. wrong with your HAI if it was cutting the engine out at higher rpms. With that setup you actually gain hp at high end. Not adding up here.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Whatchyou say?

I agree that the engine bay gets hot, but where my filter sits it's actually pulling air from under the trans. When I look under the car from the front, the filter sits down about 2" below the shield. Makes parking a pain at times, but the filter is not too hard to put back on, knocked it off coultless times. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone, it was just my understanding that as long as I am pulling "cooler" air in, it's defined as a CAI. I may be better off mounting it like sugested, but it works ok as is, so ... dunno that I'll mess with it for now. I noticed a nice pull after adding it, and it sounds nice too. I wonder how much of a diff it could make if I mount it in the fender well.

If I decide to go that route, I would be better off letting my friend cut the hole, I can't cut a straight line for crap. How far in does the filter sit when mounted like this?

Cheers!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 AM

if you're gonna go that route u can use a hole saw....
Old 05-22-2007, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteA32
If you want to save money trust me don't mod your car. Leave it stock and make sure to keep up with the maintenance on it.
Yeah... I don't want to sound like an ***, but these two are right. Looks mods are nice... whatever makes you happy really. I've got a y pipe since it's cheap and doesn't really have any drawbacks. Plus more room when I'm working under the car. But if you really get into performance vehicles you're going to need to step up eventually, and cash spent trying to make a max into one is going to have a low return and and leave regrets.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:38 PM

I agree that the engine bay gets hot, but where my filter sits it's actually pulling air from under the trans. When I look under the car from the front, the filter sits down about 2" below the shield. Makes parking a pain at times, but the filter is not too hard to put back on, knocked it off coultless times. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone, it was just my understanding that as long as I am pulling "cooler" air in, it's defined as a CAI. I may be better off mounting it like sugested, but it works ok as is, so ... dunno that I'll mess with it for now. I noticed a nice pull after adding it, and it sounds nice too. I wonder how much of a diff it could make if I mount it in the fender well.

If I decide to go that route, I would be better off letting my friend cut the hole, I can't cut a straight line for crap. How far in does the filter sit when mounted like this?

Cheers!
Well yes you're right. Where you describe the filter to be will draw in cold air. I'm not sure how smart it is to have it down there. Not sheilded from anything. I think you're putting your car at more risk running the filter down there instead of cutting the hole. And you don't use a saw for the hole. Use a power drill with a 3" saw bit.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

Unless you have IAT's to prove any of your set-ups, stop making assumptions please.