4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP!!! What can this be?? Please read......

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 AM

HELP!!! What can this be?? Please read......

So I had my maxima for about 2 months now and didn't really do any major tuning up besides changing the oil and spark plugs. Now, my problem is every so often (now it's happening more frequently) the car starts to shake and buck violently give me the feeling like i'm at the rodeo, then it sometimes shuts off after that. I try to start it and it won't start, then like 5 minutes later it will turnover and start. What could this be? faulty coil packs? I had 99 max before this one, and as we all know they are notorious for having faulty coils, and it was doing simillar things and eventually I had to replace two coils and never had that particular sensation in the car after that. so fellas what do u think? Thanks in advanced....
Old 05-29-2007, 08:36 AM

could be the coils too, but you might wanna pull the codes (if there are any) to see if there's a misfire
Old 05-29-2007, 09:04 AM

That's the thing, there aren't any codes or anything, that's making it even more frustrating. I have really no clue as what the heck is going on. And for the record I don't like rodeo, LoL.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:11 AM

could be a bad injector
Old 05-29-2007, 10:27 AM

Like they say, if you have the cehck engine light on, check for codes, go from there.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:39 AM

sounds like a bad TPS sensor sometimes when they go bad they will only act up when it starts to get hot under the hood i had this problem in my other car swaped the TPS would be my first action
Old 05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Hella internets

TPS, doesnt really sound like it much....only symptom i have had and heard of with a bad tps is just drop in idle randomly, or inconsistent idle...other than that i have heard of no driveablitly issues with a bad TPS

I would start with the small things like fuel filter? Air filter, clean your TB, i doubt it will completely solve your problem, but those are some things that you should do just to narrow the problem down and get familiar with the issue...Who knows it could solve some of the problem...I would def change the fuel filter if your not gona do any of the other things...this may be adding to your problem...specially since its been 2 years since you changed it last?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:04 PM

Hmmn, the fuel filter might indeed be the problem? I kinda thought of that but wasn't sure? I'll have to change that along with trying to clean my TB and see what happens then. Like i mentioned before, i'm not getting a CEL so that's no help. Once I change those things i'll see how it runs and follow it up with u guys. Any other suggestions as to what it might be will be helpful also.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Hella internets

Well when was the last time you changed your plugs? Might want to do that while your at it..

I would do all the small stuff right now...like i said it might not get rid of your problem but it will help your car run smoother...and might alleviate your current problems...
Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lol, some of these response's.........

Sounds to me like a classic alternator failure in the early stages, car loses power to the point it doesn't have enough for the ignition system, car sits for a few minutes and the chemical reaction of battery charges it back up. Not saying it's definite, but you may want to have your charging sytem checked out, when it dies does it turn over ok?