4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Knock Sensor cant be fixed!!!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:26 PM

Knock Sensor cant be fixed!!!??

I bought a new knock sensor last week because my old one was shot. I installed it and noticed no changes and the code remained. After declaring it "broke" I did the 470k resistor mod, just so I could feel what a working Maxima could do. That too did not fix my problem. No gain in performance and my code remains.

The actual code is Knock Sensor fault (bank 1)

That isnt the only problem on my max.

Injector on cylinder 4 is shot (not working at all)
Crankshaft posisiton sensor fault (itermedent)

Would those forementioned problems make my knock sensor not work?

That should I do next?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How do you know the injector is shot? Did you test the resistance? Cylinder 4 is very easy to change, 10 minute job. Change it now.

I keep getting the camshaft position sensor code, it had oil leaking through it so I changed it and I still get the code and have starting problems. I had the crankshaft position sensor code pop up once a couple weeks ago, it looks like there is oil around it, I tried to clean it best I could and haven't had it pop back up.

My KS went out last year and I changed it and it worked just fine afterward, so can't help you there.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
sky jumper

the KS is the least of your worries.

fix your other problems first. they will affect your performance much more than the KS will.

for some reason, certain codes will also throw the KS code even if the KS isn't broken. so fix the other stuff first, and the KS code might go away.

also -- you do know that you have to reset the ECU to clear the codes, right?

Old 05-31-2007, 05:25 PM

I will try to buy an injector asap. Quick job I know, its just that I dont want to pay retail for a stupid injector.

I know it is the injector because i did an individual injector shut off test and with all the other cylinders the engine would drastically change when each cylinder shut off, nothing changed on cyl 4. I looked into it more and there was no gas being fed into it.

I too had gunk on my CSPS, it worked for a while and every once and a while it will come back.

Yes I did reset the codes and they all come back.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sky jumper
the KS is the least of your worries.

fix your other problems first. they will affect your performance much more than the KS will.

for some reason, certain codes will also throw the KS code even if the KS isn't broken. so fix the other stuff first, and the KS code might go away.

also -- you do know that you have to reset the ECU to clear the codes, right?
My thoughts exactly.