4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

For those w/ Koni's, here's an expereince I'd like to share.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 10:00 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I started to hear a clunking noise last week coming from the right passenger side of the car. The noise was noticable when going over bumps at slow speeds. It sounded to me that it was coming from the top of the strut mount. I took the suspension apart yesterday to find that the bolt that holds the Koni strut in (on the bottom of the strut) was loose. So I tightened it up and tossed it back in. That solved the problem. I also took out the other side since the car was on jackstands and tightened the other bolt a bit too.

I thought i tightened those pretty well when installed them. Guess not.

On a side note....I also have sprints, and the suspension parts are pretty beat up. These lowering springs take their toll on the suspension.
Old 07-15-2001, 11:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got my Sprints, waiting for my Konis. What do you mean by these springs taking their toll on the suspension? Do you suggest I should wait for the Konis, then install them together? Or is it alright to install the Sprints on first without the Konis?
Old 07-15-2001, 11:35 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by NickStam
I started to hear a clunking noise last week coming from the right passenger side of the car. The noise was noticable when going over bumps at slow speeds. It sounded to me that it was coming from the top of the strut mount. I took the suspension apart yesterday to find that the bolt that holds the Koni strut in (on the bottom of the strut) was loose. So I tightened it up and tossed it back in. That solved the problem. I also took out the other side since the car was on jackstands and tightened the other bolt a bit too.

I thought i tightened those pretty well when installed them. Guess not.

On a side note....I also have sprints, and the suspension parts are pretty beat up. These lowering springs take their toll on the suspension.
Stan, If this solves my 'unfindable' noises from the front (similar to your description) I'll be the one hell of a happy camper... Busting out the wrench now!
Old 07-15-2001, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I got my Sprints, waiting for my Konis. What do you mean by these springs taking their toll on the suspension? Do you suggest I should wait for the Konis, then install them together? Or is it alright to install the Sprints on first without the Konis?
I mean that after looking at the upper spring mount and part of the strut, you can tell that when everything compresses (usually when i hit a large bump), the suspension bottoms out. You can see the marks on the top of the koni insert. Ange showed me a picture of her upper spring bearing. That thing was so beat up. And she only has H&R/Tokiko on them.

My suspension had been bottoming out very often. Sprintmax thinks that I put the springs on upside down. After looking at them again yesterday, I think they're on correctly. I cut more of the bumpstop out though. Now I have two nothces cut out. Maybe this will help.

I need coilovers!

That's what I meant by taking a toll.
Old 07-15-2001, 12:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have no problems with my setup...knock on wood.
Very happy with it.
Old 07-15-2001, 06:40 PM
JC

I had the same noice ploblem 3 days after my koni/sprint were installed, was coming front the passenger side. I was so mad 'cause it was a new suspention but when i checked it it was the bottom one and and open wrench took care of it.

Cumalot my sprint springs were for almost 4 months in my closet just waiting for konis and it worthed.
Old 07-15-2001, 08:26 PM

koni inserts coming lose

As for the problem with the Koni inserts coming lose in the strut housing, couldnt you just use thread locking compound to prevent it from happening?
Old 07-15-2001, 08:27 PM

kinda funny....but my koni's did the same thing. started probably a week after i got my koni's put in...except I had a hard time reproducing the sounds b/c they would occur over particular types of bumps in the road....took it back to the shop that installed them for me and they told me that a screw was a bit loose...causing the noise. i wonder if there's some type of design flaw in the set-up.

-sachin
Old 07-15-2001, 09:19 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

maybe koni's are overpriced and you shouldn't have to do all you have to, to the car just to get them to work right. KYB's for me.
Old 07-16-2001, 08:39 AM

Mine's been doing this weird pop over certain bumps on my left front. I'm starting to wonder if that screw is loose too. My rear has some kind of rattle too. I'm going to have to check it out today.
Old 07-16-2001, 09:49 AM

Okay my Koni and H&R impressions......

Well I've had them on for about 3 months. After the first week I noticed a slight rattling. I checked the bolt on the top of the driver side strut and it was very loose. I tightened the passenger side while I was under the hood. Everything has been fine since. Although I must admit that Koni's dont like certain bumps. Short tall bumps dont feel too nice. I guess its all that extra rebound that Koni's offer. And with 110k miles I'm starting to get some interior rattles. All of which will soon be taken care of. For anyone else interested I'm gonna be removing my A, B, and C pillar panels and backing them with some foam weather stripping from Sears. It has an adhesive backing so you can just stick it to the pillar and re-install the panel. This should definitely keep these panels from shaking on rough pavement.
Now enough of the negative lets talk positives. I was travelling on the LIE (495) two nights ago when I notice a Buick Regal blow by me. So I decided to pace him. And there was a section of the road that goes up, down, up, down. The Buick looked like it was skimming waves the way the front end kept bobbing even after the pavement level off. And I couldn't help but notice that my Max was simply chewing up this section of the road. Very, very nice. No extra bobbing just compression and rebound. Now NickStam think we can get a deal on coil-overs???? I would love Cattmans but $1400 is way too much for me. What about Weapon R or Ground Control???? I smell a groupdeal, do you??????
Old 07-16-2001, 09:57 AM

So what would you guys reccommend for the best setup shock-wise with Sprints? Tokico, Koni, KYB?
Old 07-16-2001, 11:11 AM

I'd suggest that you.......

Originally posted by SC99MaxSELmtd
So what would you guys reccommend for the best setup shock-wise with Sprints? Tokico, Koni, KYB?
Stay away from Tokico's. Koni makes the strongest strut for the Max. Until KYB actually ships the AGX out we wont really know. No one can comment on the KYB AGX for the Max yet, no one! For all who are skeptical about Koni's then wait for KYB's but I got tired of waiting. Its been more than a year since KYB were supposed to have an AGX application for the Max. Anyway between Koni and Tokico, now thats a pretty easy choice. Do you want an adjustable strut??? Go with Koni. I think Tokico's would be okay with a mild drop, i.e, H&R, or Eibach. Anything else will require a stronger strut. And the fact that its adjustable makes it even sweeter.
Old 07-16-2001, 01:06 PM
Administrator

You havn't turned your springs over yet? and you are wondering why your suspension parts are beatup? your going to kill your koni's in no time and you will be ordering a new set soon..

remeber the smaller compressed spring is suppose to be on top..
Old 07-16-2001, 07:31 PM

I don't think they're upside down.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:31 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i think one of mine might be, i'm gonna double check. i have eibachs, it's the same deal right, small spring on top?
Old 07-17-2001, 06:12 AM
Administrator

yes small spring on top..

Nick you don't think so.. well when you are buying your set of koni's for the 2nd time and you are putting on the springs.. just remember this time.. small spring on top
Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
i think one of mine might be, i'm gonna double check. i have eibachs, it's the same deal right, small spring on top?
Old 07-17-2001, 07:13 AM

Yeah, H&R tech said that........

Originally posted by SprintMax
yes small spring on top..

Nick you don't think so.. well when you are buying your set of koni's for the 2nd time and you are putting on the springs.. just remember this time.. small spring on top
In any spring application the close coils should go to the top. I installed my H&R's that way and all is good.