4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

brake problems, many

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 07:33 PM

brake problems, many

So when i first got my car a few months ago the brakes squealed pretty badly and the front pads were extremely low so i replaced them. the squealing continued and i started noticing what i can only describe as a grinding noise everyonce in a while. the grinding comes in spurts for maybe 5-7 stops and then goes away for the rest of the day (it almost seems like a corner of the pad is being ground down and then becomes flat until i use my brakes to a certain point). lastly my front brake pads give off alot more dust onto my rims than my rears do, my rear wheels are almost completely spotless and my fronts will be covered in black dust after only 1 drive. my only guess is that my rotors are bent or mishaped. any suggestions, theories?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 PM
No more Maximas...

Your front brakes are about 80% of your stopping power, the rears don't do nearly as much as the fronts do (weight transfer under braking, fronts are more important).

Unless you ride with the e-brake up all the time, you'll always get more dust on the front than the rear, unless of course you have pads known for dusting on the rear and ceramics or something pretty hard on the front.

Did you resurface or replace the rotors when you replaced the pads? If not, bad idea. Any imperfections in the rotors will eat up the new pads the same way the old ones were, the problem will transfer back and forth (kinda like the Zip disk click of death issue a while back).

As far as grinding, all I can really say it to triple check the install and positioning of everything up front, maybe put it up on stands and run it with the wheels off (zip a lugnut or two up on the stud on each side if you do, or the rotors will flop all over the place within the torque member), and have a helper apply the brakes on and off.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:29 AM

i have a break prob too.. everytime i brake my car seems to shake... its kind of a vibrating feeling... any advice? oh, and what the hell is up with my volume control it doesnt work... help!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Vibration felt through the steering during braking usually indicated warped front rotors that need to be replaced.

to OP - dusting varies by pad brand. It's not a big issue if it stops your car well. Squealing and slight grinding may occur right after new installation of brake pads but should go away. Did the installer reuse the original anti-squeal shims and also use the anti-squeal "goop"? Squealing could also occur if debris gets caught in between pad and rotor. When the brake rotors are COLD, you can spray them with water during a car wash and sometimes that gets rid of it.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:54 AM

yea me too

I have that same issue I wanna just get a brand new setup
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Chunger
Vibration felt through the steering during braking usually indicated warped front rotors that need to be replaced.

to OP - dusting varies by pad brand. It's not a big issue if it stops your car well. Squealing and slight grinding may occur right after new installation of brake pads but should go away. Did the installer reuse the original anti-squeal shims and also use the anti-squeal "goop"? Squealing could also occur if debris gets caught in between pad and rotor. When the brake rotors are COLD, you can spray them with water during a car wash and sometimes that gets rid of it.
i installed them myself, and i did put anti squealing goop behing each pad. im going to have to go with it being a problem with the rotors.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Your front brakes are about 80% of your stopping power, the rears don't do nearly as much as the fronts do (weight transfer under braking, fronts are more important).

Unless you ride with the e-brake up all the time, you'll always get more dust on the front than the rear, unless of course you have pads known for dusting on the rear and ceramics or something pretty hard on the front.

Did you resurface or replace the rotors when you replaced the pads? If not, bad idea. Any imperfections in the rotors will eat up the new pads the same way the old ones were, the problem will transfer back and forth (kinda like the Zip disk click of death issue a while back).

As far as grinding, all I can really say it to triple check the install and positioning of everything up front, maybe put it up on stands and run it with the wheels off (zip a lugnut or two up on the stud on each side if you do, or the rotors will flop all over the place within the torque member), and have a helper apply the brakes on and off.
how would i go about resurfacing my rotors? and since i didnt do it when i originally installed the new pads do i need to also replace the pads, or will they be fine?