4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MAF Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007 | 08:27 AM

MAF Upgrade?

Is there an upgrade for the '95's? I was reading on NICO that the 02/03 MAF's are an upgrade, but was unclear that they work on the 4th gens.
Anyone know.....and is it a direct "plug-n-play"?
Also, there was mention that you could buy just the element, and security bit? I've only seen the whole Maf unit for sale.
Mine is on it's last leg.....time to bite the bullet and buy a new one, I guess.
Is it better to stick with a Nissan one, or are the Auto Zone/ Kragen ones just as good?
Thanks
Old 06-08-2007 | 08:50 AM

What some people do is they take the actual hotwire sensor part itself from the stock MAF and put it on a 3" tube of PVC plastic tubing. You can look in the AllMotor section for that. NMexMax did that, Tavarish is gonna give it a shot soon.

But either way, you cant do that since your MAF is dying. I wouldnt go to the dealer/ parts store cus they are an arm and a leg there. I'd look over at the F/S forum and see if theres anyone selling it/ if anyone is parting out their car.

Good luck
Old 06-08-2007 | 08:50 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Do you need the extra air flow? I doubt if i'll net you any power unless you you have FI.
Old 06-08-2007 | 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chunger
Do you need the extra air flow? I doubt if i'll net you any power unless you you have FI.
Actually I do for my S12, as I'm maxing out my ca18det's maf....but thats a different story.
No........I don't need the extra airflow for my Maxima. Other than larger wheels/tires, and a lowered suspension, it's bone stock. From what I gathered on Nico, the reason for swapping to a 02/03 MAF, is that it's built better than the earlier vq mafs. Just need to know if this is true, and if it's a plug/play, and if the car will run right with it with no mods.
I think the culpret was that maf cleaner........I had no probs a month ago. Maybe it's just a coincidence??
I may consider a used one......just don't want to end up with one like I already have. Car runs fine for couple of days.....then it just craps out, and throws the maf code.
Old 06-08-2007 | 10:20 AM

I dont think the 02-03 MAFs are any better than a 4th gen MAF. If anything they say that because the 5th gens MAFs (00-01) are pure garbage. Maybe they meant to say it was an update to THOSE.

And no it would not be plug and play, you'd have to splice into the car's harness and splice it into the pigtail for an 02-03 maf, all for nothing really.
Old 06-08-2007 | 11:25 AM

This was my modification:

I cut apart the whole MAF sensor housing. I used the lip off of the end of the old housing and glued it together with some epoxy paste and shaved it to where it is exactly 3" in diameter. I used a long piece of 3" PVC tubing so its one straight pipe with no bends on it.

I drilled a hole on top of the PVC piping to where the MAF sensor can slide right in. I applied the epoxy paste on the MAF housing and all around the MAF's shaft. I inserted it in carefully into the hole and smoothed out/removed all the access epoxy paste and it was done... I just need to tape it all up and give it a nice coat of black paint and some clear coat.
Old 06-08-2007 | 11:46 AM

300zx tt maf will do the trick
Old 06-08-2007 | 12:06 PM

915Max, do you have any tuning devices? SAFCs, EUs, widebands, etc...

It would be great to see exactly how much of a change, and on what parameters (timing, a/f obviously) during both closed loop operation and open loop WOT runs
Old 06-08-2007 | 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i feel like on the 4gs, if anything is limiting flow, it'd be the TB
Old 06-08-2007 | 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
915Max, do you have any tuning devices? SAFCs, EUs, widebands, etc...

It would be great to see exactly how much of a change, and on what parameters (timing, a/f obviously) during both closed loop operation and open loop WOT runs
I do have a VAFC II and i'm planning on getting it dyno tuned to see how much power I will be putting out.
The reason I did this is because of my 3.5 swap... I still havent installed it yet because I dont have the time money to get it dyno tuned.
Old 06-08-2007 | 02:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

5th gens MAFs (00-01)
01's are good. Depends on the P/N

. NMexMax did that, Tavarish is gonna give it a shot soon.
AFR control is a must along w/ AFR monitoring. Do it right people.

Actually I do for my S12, as I'm maxing out my ca18det's maf
If you could make the stock unit larger, it wont be 'maxing out'. It will be tricked that it is seeing less air via larger dia.

And no it would not be plug and play, you'd have to splice into the car's harness and splice it into the pigtail for an 02-03 maf, all for nothing really.
Leave the 5 gen MAF alone. Modify your own, i.e 96sleeper & krismax.

300zx tt maf will do the trick
Not for N/A.

I have another members comparison stock vs 3" (AFR only) If I had any free time, I could take timing logs and AFR.

i feel like on the 4gs, if anything is limiting flow, it'd be the TB
That's what I thought before I did my mod. Seems as if something else is affected when you do it along w/ the SAFC/Emanage 'correction'. Refer to my thread in the AM section about it. But IMO, it wouldn't hurt to have a PFTB on there.

There are differences between my set-up and that of an A32, but with enough ingenuity, you dudes could find a way to make it work.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=517758
Old 06-08-2007 | 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

If you could make the stock unit larger, it wont be 'maxing out'. It will be tricked that it is seeing less air via larger dia.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=517758
I'm at 97%-98% on my s-afc........I just need to upgrade to a z32tt maf, and I'll be good.

So, are all the 4th gen mafs the same? No advantage in getting anything else, but a '95 maf?
Old 06-08-2007 | 05:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by locklear
I'm at 97%-98% on my s-afc........I just need to upgrade to a z32tt maf, and I'll be good.

So, are all the 4th gen mafs the same? No advantage in getting anything else, but a '95 maf?
For N/A, no, for boosted dudes, yes, and it looks as if you're already on top of it. I'm guessing you're boosted since 97-98% = .
Old 06-08-2007 | 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
For N/A, no, for boosted dudes, yes, and it looks as if you're already on top of it. I'm guessing you're boosted since 97-98% = .
Yes..........my s12 with recent ca18det swap.

I would love to boost my maxima............maybe someday