4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

a/c clutch stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:00 AM

a/c clutch stuck!

i need a bit of help on this one. I removed the nut that holds the a/c clutch but it is not coming off without an "a/c clutch removal" tool indicated in the FSM. I called the dealer and they said they dont sell that tool. Do you guys know where i can go to buy this tool (Autozone dont have this either) or is there a special a/c shop that i can go to to pay them to remove this part??
Old 06-09-2007, 11:44 AM

bump need help with this!
Old 06-09-2007, 01:10 PM
No more Maximas...

An auto parts store should have a rental kit with that stuff in it. If not, find a shop that does HVAC service, they may have a puller for the compressor clutch.

Or, find a tech at a dealership, and slip him some money to yank the clutch off. If you were down here, I'd do it for you, but obviously that won't work out.

You could possibly try a three-jaw puller, but I'm sure I failed the AC ASE test for a reason...heh.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:29 PM

well i can find a general Clutch Hub Puller Kit. but i dont think they will work on the nissan Calsonic compressor because the instructions for those kits gave out specific compressors the kit works on.

Do u think the the stealerships should def have this tool? Even if they did i would think that they would just tell me to change entire compressor so they could make more more off of me. I am really thinking about just taking the car to a shop and ask them to discharge/recharge and replace the compressor and dyer = big $$.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:34 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by zeeman
well i can find a general Clutch Hub Puller Kit. but i dont think they will work on the nissan Calsonic compressor because the instructions for those kits gave out specific compressors the kit works on.

Do u think the the stealerships should def have this tool? Even if they did i would think that they would just tell me to change entire compressor so they could make more more off of me. I am really thinking about just taking the car to a shop and ask them to discharge/recharge and replace the compressor and dyer = big $$.
We have a set for compressor clutches at my dealership, and according to the paperwork I've found laying around in there, Nissan sends out mostly the same equipment to all dealers (whether they want it or not, and charges them for it, heh). It's worth a shot.

I wouldn't go to the service department (maybe as a last resort), instead find a tech and see if he'll do it on the side. Is it still in the car? If so, this isn't really a viable option. Having a compressor on the bench is one thing, a car on a rack is another...
Old 06-09-2007, 02:07 PM

unfortunatley the compressor is still attached to my car. But if i had to remove the compressor i might as well just get a used unit and new dryer/reciever as mentioned by skyjumper to protect the a/c system from the system being opened.

Looks like i m kinda out of luck on this one...(sad)
Old 06-09-2007, 02:26 PM

well i think i ve found a place that sells the tool to general public , but the tool is named Clutch Disk Wrench, not Clutch Disk Puller as indicated in the FSM but they both have the same part number : J-38874.

Heres a pic of it on their site:

pmohr, does this look like the one your dealership uses?
Old 06-09-2007, 02:31 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by zeeman
well i think i ve found a place that sells the tool to general public , but the tool is named Clutch Disk Wrench, not Clutch Disk Puller as indicated in the FSM but they both have the same part number : J-38874.

Heres a pic of it on their site:

pmohr, does this look like the one your dealership uses?
No idea, I just saw it while I was digging through the random crap back there, looking for hidden treasure, heh.

If it's the same part number, go for it.