4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

serious engine problem! need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 AM
is craving Bojangles

serious engine problem! need help ASAP

so this could potentially be embarrassing, but here goes..

so last night i tried starting my car up and was having trouble. it finally started and immieditly lost power, rpms dropped, and stalled. tried starting a few more times and got nothing. attempted some more and it started and with gas being pumped in by a heavy throttle input, it was able to climb rpms and finally settle into a constant idle. i was in a rush to get somewhere at the time so i just figured i wouldn't worry about this and just take care of it later. well the car wouldn't allow that. a little down the road i had some SERIOUS power loss, where the rpms were dropping dramatically and any throttle i tried to add just decreased the rpms more. however, before it nearly stalled i heard 2 loud pops from under my hood and then the engine went normal. by normal i mean regular amount of power, no lag, normal driving. this confused me and made me want to pull over, but i was 3 min. away from my destination and in a pretty sketchy part of town so i decided to trek on. the loss of power, popping, driving normal situation happened one more time before i got where i needed to be and as i was pulling in the engine was operating fine. i knew something was wrong though, so i locked the car and left it there over night. so today i have to go back to the parking lot and figure this thing out.

possible causes of the problem -
i am very low on fuel, but i shouldn't be out. my gas light has come on but that was on thursday and i barely drove my car at all with a low gas light. i should have well over a gallon at the minimum. it could be that some of the cylinders weren't getting the fuel needed and the popping was when detonation finally did occur.

there also may be water in my gas tank because the garage in which i store my car is very humid, and water that would be in my tank would be at the bottom. but i doubt this explination.

help?
Old 06-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get gas to the car somehow. Either nearest gas station or bring some in, in a can. Like a 5 gallon can

Also buy a bottle of water wetter or the Techron stuff and put that in.

Check back after your done

-matt
Old 06-09-2007, 11:11 AM
is craving Bojangles

that's what i'm planning on doing today. how much damage could i have done to the cylinder walls? i really hope i haven't ****ed my car up over this.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:24 AM

well, how often do you run till the gas light comes on?