4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I need help ASAP please!~!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:48 AM

I need help ASAP please!~!

Alright here's the deal
my car is parked at a conveinence store about 30 min away from my house, I am at a buddy's place, it wont start

It wouldnt start leaving the bar last night, swapped out the relay for the security with the wipers, but had to stomp the gas to get her goin.

anyways it started this morning with no hesitation, but i went to the store and now it wont start, at all

It cranked over for a bit, but wont start, as if its getting no fuel

now it wont do ANYTHING

I have power my bat is ok I checked all that already, checked every fuse, swapped out relays, etc. but nothing,

I pulled codes with my obdII and got a CKP sensor( I was frustrated and forgot to get the number) but have no idea what this is....

It's a new code never came up before. If it helps I have an existing EVAP VCV code but I've had it for a long time

I was thinking fuel filter but makes no sense why it would do NOTHING now, seems like electrical to me,, sorry if this post is long I just need it fixed no money to get it towed to a shop, I need to fix it today I reallllllly hope you boys can help thanks so much for reading

Matt
Old 06-24-2007, 11:55 AM

To start, you need three things:

Fuel
Air
Spark

In general you can rule out air as being the problem. I'd test my fuel pump if I were you, sounds like it was slowly going out and you were struggling to get it started.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 AM

If it's doing "NOTHING" at all and it is warmer then normal where you live I would try banging on the starter with something. Same thing happened to me after i got out of work. Car would turn for a bit...but nothing happened, then eventually nothing would happen at all when i tried to crank it. Lucky for me i had a hammer and the end of a broomstick (don't ask) and i banged on the starter 2 or 3 times and it started right up. If it works for you, I suggest driving it straight home or to the mechanic for a new starter because it might not work again after that. hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 96DentKING
If it's doing "NOTHING" at all and it is warmer then normal where you live I would try banging on the starter with something. Same thing happened to me after i got out of work. Car would turn for a bit...but nothing happened, then eventually nothing would happen at all when i tried to crank it. Lucky for me i had a hammer and the end of a broomstick (don't ask) and i banged on the starter 2 or 3 times and it started right up. If it works for you, I suggest driving it straight home or to the mechanic for a new starter because it might not work again after that. hope this helps.

helpful as I should have tried it, but was frustrated and not thinking straight, but makes no sense that it was cranking just fine, then just stopped crankin.
seems like and ECM or electrical issue, but I have no clue, need to wait for my buddy to get home I had to break into his house he went out for breakfast lol.

im gonna try that but still need some advice as this code is unknown to me and I cant find it anywhere
Old 06-24-2007, 12:07 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

So will the starter still spin? Or do you get nothing when you turn the key?

If you have a faulty CKP (crank position) sensor then the car will not fire. It will just keep cranking and cranking.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:13 PM

so a CKP is the crank positions sensor????? Where abouts is it located so I can at the very least inspect the wiring before I get it towed.

The car turned over but would 'bog/cut out' intermittently, then it would do nothing, all the lights are on, and stay on when trying to start, but nothing happens now, nothing doesn't even try to start.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:20 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

There are two crank position sensors; the first is on the trans bellhousing facing the radiator, its a black box right where the trans meets with the block. The second os on the other side of the endine under neath the belts, I think its right under the crank pulley.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
There are two crank position sensors; the first is on the trans bellhousing facing the radiator, its a black box right where the trans meets with the block. The second os on the other side of the endine under neath the belts, I think its right under the crank pulley.
thank you man I assume the best way to inspect is from underneath?
Will do but do you think that the sensor intermittently malfunctioning would cause it to crank, not start, then do nothing ? its a 5spd by the way so initially i was thinking the clutch positions sensor if there is such a thing on the max. anyway appreciate the replys but im still lost here it still wont start.
Is it possible that one of the sensor's is toast? How can I find out which one ?? From my experience with the max so far sensors aren't cheap even aftermarket and I'm broke so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:42 PM

also: Vlasic
no now it will do nothing, no crank over, no spinning.. like the ecm is cutting of any attempt at starting now, seems, like I said an electrical/ecm/sensor issue that is not allowing it to start, or even attempt to at this point.
But if it was a crank position sensor wouldn't it crank over ? Just not start? Or would it exhibit my sypmtoms of no attempt at starting?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:42 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

I dont know, Ive never had a bad crank position sensor, all I know is that if one is bad the car will not fire. Not sure if one on the edge will make it crank then not. There could be other things too; ignition switch, maybe it cranking for a little bit then doing nothing was your starter on its way out.

Visually check your sensors, there is a way to test the senors with a volt meter, but I dont know the value you are suppose to look for. You can pull out one of your front coil packs and spark plug and crank the car to see if it will fire. Smack your starter a few times with a wrench or something. When you turn the key, do you hear anything, like a clicking or a relay or something?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:45 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Ok, ya I dont think a bad crank sensor will not cause the car to crank. With a bad sensor the car will crank, just not fire.

If its not doing ANYTHING, you should look at your starter and ignition switch first. Tap the starter see if it will start cranking. When you turn the key do you get a clicking or anything?

edit: the fact that it had a hard time starting the other night makes me think its an ignition switch problem. When mine went bad I was always having a hard time starting the car. I would turn the key and nothing would happen, had ot turn it a few times until eventually it wouldnt start.

also, before you tow it, try push starting it, since its a 5speed. If its just a problem with the starter or ign switch, it should still start if you push start it, then you wont waste your money on a tow. and if it does start from that, it will for sure narrow down the problem to the starter or ign switch.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:48 PM

there is no noise whatsoever out of the car when trying to start. it does like I said... > NOTHING. I will try all of the above but so far I dont think it will resolve my issue. I hate this it's driving me nuts but I need my car, love my car, and unfourtunatly need to fix it myself due to a lack of funds. Thanks again I am begging for advice here
Old 06-24-2007, 12:50 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

hmmmm, I cant remember if you get a clicking noise when its the starter tats bad or the ign switch. either way, just try push starting it, you said the lights and all still work so you should be able to.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
Ok, ya I dont think a bad crank sensor will not cause the car to crank. With a bad sensor the car will crank, just not fire.

If its not doing ANYTHING, you should look at your starter and ignition switch first. Tap the starter see if it will start cranking. When you turn the key do you get a clicking or anything?

edit: the fact that it had a hard time starting the other night makes me think its an ignition switch problem. When mine went bad I was always having a hard time starting the car. I would turn the key and nothing would happen, had ot turn it a few times until eventually it wouldnt start.

also, before you tow it, try push starting it, since its a 5speed. If its just a problem with the starter or ign switch, it should still start if you push start it, then you wont waste your money on a tow. and if it does start from that, it will for sure narrow down the problem to the starter or ign switch.
thanks for the info man narrows it down for me I'm pretty sure its not the CKP because its not cranking, but curious why it would throw the code.

Good call on push start Ill get my buddies and try it, but why would that narrow it down to the starter or ign switch? Still learning here welcome all advice/experience because I guess my buddy is at the hospital something happened and now I have no way to see him/ get my car, and I have to walk back up and try to get it goin, this has been one wacky sunday I just hope you guys can help a poor maxima owner in need.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:00 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Well, it will narrow it down because;

1. if the starter on a car is bad, you can always push start it. The starter is there only to start the car, it has nothing to do once its running.

2. Same kinda goes for the ign switch. when you turn the key, if you are still getting power, like your lights and all come on, then you can also push start it because everything needed to run is getting power.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:07 PM

still a bit confused on it but will do.

the car's been a bit hesitant to start(long cranks, or crank 3 times, then try again and it starts) for a little while now. I think I need a new fuel filter and am going to put one in, but obiously that wouldnt cause this issue. I'm just waiting for my friends to get here and gonna tap the starter and push start it if neccessary, got a bad feeling that this ain't gonna work but more info would be great!!!! thanks so much you have no idea how much these forums/ other maxima owners have helped me and others, it means a lot boys thanks.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:18 PM
No more Maximas...

BTW, when I was having my own issues with the CKPS throwing a code, I came upon an interesting bit of information. This is about the POS, under the crank pulley (or is that REF? Hell, I forget). It the crank isn't spinning quickly enough during cranking, the CKPS throws a code because the reading from the signal ring on the crank pulley is far too slow.

Like everyone else said, at least check for fuel and spark when it does crank over, or just try push starting.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:40 PM

I am thinking 90% chance it's your starter. Have you checked it yet?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:06 PM

tried to bump start it, to no avail, hit the starter numerous times, and nothing. I towed it back to my house

its sitting in the driveway I have to drive my dad's smart car to work tomorrow,

I am lost on this one I still really need some help, , I know if I am having issues finding the problem ... a shop is going to take days to fix it, and a LOT of money I dont have .. thanks again I need help here it has got to be a sensor or something electrical, but I see nothing, there is so many things it could be I need some advice/somewhere to start
Old 06-24-2007, 07:36 PM

1st take the starter out and test it- it could be the solenoid, check all connections bolts included-grease it before putting it back on. As said above^^ you should've been able to jump start it. If your getting a CKP sensor code take out the sensor and clean it with CRC QD electronic cleaner or some cleaning agent thats safe for sensors, sometimes when the sensors get oil on them they let out a code cause the oil is affecting the electronic contacts- also clean surrounding area especially if you see oil for ex. out of a valve cover- and while ur under the car clean the other sensor too.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:58 PM

my car shut off on me while driving the other week and it wouldn't start back up. Turned out to be the CAMshaft position sensor, but one of the CRANKshaft position sensors can cause that as well. Check to see if you have any codes.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:21 PM

already done checked it immediately got a CKP code, but havent got the impression that this will cause a NO start/not even cranking right now. Also I noticed that the clock cuts out, all other lights are on and stay on, but when i try to start it, the clock and nothing else cuts out, dont know if that helps just trying to figure this out im in a bind!!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 PM

HAYNES sect 0-22 ->1.You could have loose terminal or dirty 2. starter motor pinion jammed in flywheel ring gear 3. ign switch faulty 4. starter pinion or flywheel teeth worn or broken 5. solenoid faulty--->you ck'd batt so that's 1 less possibility- check wiring- good luck
Old 06-25-2007, 06:22 AM

the fuse for my stereo is melted, its a 100Afuse, the fuse it self is still intact, the plastic is melted on the stereo side of the fuse. I see no where the wiring has shorted, and the stereo still worked fine......

Anyways I'm charging the bat right now just in case, now my multimeter isnt working.
Also, is there any way to check the relays? Bit of a newb question but I dont know how. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 AM

Also the relay's to the left of the fuse panel (inside) are clicking, the top one seems to be more so than the other two, they click only once when I turn the ignition to start. What are these relays for I cant find out anywhere so far, still dont know how to check them or if I even can. Just trying to give some more info like I said I really cant afford to take it to a shop.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:11 PM

Ok I have made some progress but now I'm stuck again.

This is what I have done so far:

Took the starter out and took it to part source, the motor is toast. They wanted 420$ for a new one so I had it rebuilt for 140$. Either way I now have a working starter

Installed the starter.
Car will not crank over still, exhibits the same symptoms as before.

There is no power when igintion is in START to the trigger wire for the starter.

I checked the power to the Clutch Interlock Switch, and relay.

Clutch Interlock relay has power from the ignition switch to terminal 3. No power on terminal 5 (opposite term from 3) when in START position,

Jumpered a wire from terminal 3 to terminal 5,

The car will crank over but will not start.

The car did NOT throw a CKP code again this time.

The other 2 posts on the relay that activate 3-5 are connected to the theft warning relay.
I tested terminal 1 on the Theft warning relay. I have power there. I have no power and no ground on any other terminal. Naturally I tried to find the wire routing on the 3rd term of the same relay which triggers the switch side, and allows term 1 to activate and send both signals.
from the info I've gotten this appears to come directly from the Ignition switch, to the fuse block inside the car (33). I have no power here. I jumped a wire from the ignition to the fuse, car wont start. So I jumped a wire from the ignition to terminal 3 on the Theft Warning Relay, and jumped across 1 and 2,
car cranks
but still wont start.

Sorry this is so long god bless you if you read it and understand !
Anyways, how can I check the FUEL PUMP(make sure I'm getting fuel),
and can anyone give me any advice here, even if the fuel pump is good I still have a problem and short of tearing the ENTIRE dash and engine bay apart(engine bay is already half apart now) I don't see how I'm gonna find this.

Thanks again just for reading but hope someone can help steer me in the right direction here.
PS > I am assuming when the starter f'd up (the solonoid was still good) it toasted something else, dont know what that could be,,, the only other thing I can think of is that it set the THEFT off somehow and inhibited the start, how can/can I reset this without CONSULT???
thanks again
Old 06-28-2007, 03:17 PM

Sorry to hear that you're still having issues Have we ruled out the ignition switch yet? (might be a stupid question, but are you "fully in park")
Old 06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Well now that you can actually crank the car, pull out a coil pack and a spark plug and see if the car is actually fireing. If it is, then you most likely have a fuel problem.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:58 PM

I'm waiting for a hand I cant crank it and check the spark, how can I test the fuel system?

Even if it's a fuel issue or a spark issue, I still have an electrical issue because I have to jump relays to get it to crank, can't drive around with wires panned out across the car lol.

I just found that fuse # 33 (from ignition to fuse panel to Theft warning relay) is ok. Now I am tracing the other wire that runs to that relay.

Oh and heyman,, its a 5spd.

ELECTRICAL!@!!!!! driving me nuts I've got a whack of it torn out and I hate doing it just to trace wires.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:33 PM

TunerM the relays by you kickplate are either for your sunroof (if applicable) and the other is for ur fuel pump. If u don't have a s roof then u should only have 1. On top of the relay (blue) itself there's a schematic showing a coil (1 to 2) and an open circuit (3 to 5), take a multimeter and on the connector side of the relay test the connections- the corresponding numbers to the schematic can be seen on the inside white part of the relay. Connect ur mult meter leads from 1 to 2 you should get a reading, if not then your relay's coil is failed. Touch the leads from 3 to 5 there should be no voltage detected, if there is -the contacts in ur relay are stuck shut and ur relay is bad. hope this helps, good luck i'll keep checkin in.

sam