4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Performance upgrade help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Performance upgrade help!

ok, so i have a 98 maxima SE with new brakes and tires, someone from another forum told me i should buy these items in that order agree or disagree?

Rear Sway Bar
Subframe Connectors
Y-Pipe and Headers
Cold Air Intake

comments or suggestions?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:26 PM

Do what you want, its your car. There are tons of threads on each of these topics, so if you do your research you will know the pros and cons of each. I have a pair of headers for sale if you are interested.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Under the radar

agreed do what you want. I personally think first step with modding a max is suspension. a good strut and spring combo and strut bar and RSB can do wonders on these cars. next would be a y-pipe, but on a 98, headers will not do much. Also the stock intake is probably the best for its smooth response (just my opinion though).
Old 06-27-2007, 01:36 PM

Subframe connectors first, hands down.

Y-pipe will give you some good power up top and add a little bit of exhaust noise.
Headers + y-pipe will give you a bit more power than a y-pipe and will add a nice exhaust note.
A true CAI is hard to find for the 4th gen and will give you a little bit of top-end and a nice loud growl under WOT at the expense of some low-midrange power.

A rear sway bar will make your car more prone to oversteer and reduce body roll a bit.

After SFCs, do whichever you want.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
A rear sway bar will make your car more prone to oversteer
What kind of overstear?

Would stickier tires counter the overstear you speak of?

Jae
Old 06-27-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
What kind of overstear?

Would stickier tires counter the overstear you speak of?

Jae
Really the only kind of oversteer a street-driven FWD car is capable of--lift-off oversteer. I haven't experienced this yet, but I'm not on stock springs/struts either.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Maybe check out the following thread

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=516911
Old 06-27-2007, 04:39 PM

what about that thread?...Anyways so everyone is in agreement that susspension comes first then y-pipe and headers whenever after that right, maybe no to the CAI?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:44 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by HEIGES
Anyways so everyone is in agreement that susspension comes first then intake and y-pipe whenever after right?
Not EVERYONE. But it's what I would do. Maybe make up your own mind
Old 06-27-2007, 04:48 PM

i did all maintence work and played with a minor exterior mods that were cheap and going for the drop next and then Y-pipe.

everyone has what they want to do first. there isn't a SHOULD do thing. I did all my maintence because i rather have a working car then a fast car. then i rather have a clean car then a faster and nasty looking car. now its time to be able to control the car then go fast.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
i did all maintence work and played with a minor exterior mods that were cheap and going for the drop next and then Y-pipe.
i already have the maintence done and have done all of the cosmetic stuff im at the same point you at so i will just go with susspension first then whatever comes next!

thanks all!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 PM
R34

My first mod, was Y pipe, since eibach spring were already came with the car.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

My first mod was Y-pipe, then 00VI........and what!? lol
Old 06-28-2007, 12:23 AM

Stock suspension is soft and lofty, and the 4th gen's frame has been declared to have been made of noodles on many occasions. The engine is not the weak point in this car.

If you want the car to even somewhat resemble a sports car, start by reinforcing the chassis and then follow up with some good springs and struts, maybe an RSB and add some lightweight and wide 16s or 17s.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:48 AM

well...
there's no point in upgrading your nostrils if you're gonna have trouble with exhaling, so i'd go with a ypipe and a catback.

then i'd go into a MEVI or 00vi- but more towards the 00vi so there's no HP loss all gain.

then you're practically set...

however...if you're loaded with cash why not go that extra mile and force induct your vq.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by cefiro8701
well...
there's no point in upgrading your nostrils if you're gonna have trouble with exhaling, so i'd go with a ypipe and a catback.
Wow, what a comparison... and why wouldn't you exhale through your nostrils?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by cefiro8701
however...if you're loaded with cash why not go that extra mile and force induct your vq.
first off, im not loaded at all! im looking for the cheapest upgrades that will help the overall performance of my can
Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 AM

cheapest upgrades initially are

Intake
Exhaust
Old 06-28-2007, 07:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

As far as engine mods are concerned, this is my take.

Just get a y-pipe and be done with it. Wee need after market support re: an equal length y-pipe. The ones we have are not equal length, and the harmonics aren't as good as they should, not to mention the performance, IMO, is also suffering. Since most people are too cheap to buy headers, and would rather have a y-pipe, maybe someone should ask one of the few manufactures that already support y-pipe production, begin fabricating an equal length unit. Stillen has done it in the past, but do not any more, despite what their site states.

As for intakes, IMO, they're not needed and make far too much noise. Aside from that, the more air the engine sees, the more timing will be compromised. A careful balance between the 2 is optimal. Also, IMO, the wail of an open end filter gets old real quick for me. The reason everyone noticed, what seems to be better performance when switching back to a stock airbox is probably because the ECU sees less air, therefore, indirectly, adds timing. This has been discussed in great detail in the advanced performance section.

Aftermarket equal length y-pipe, semi modded stock airbox, or if it is not too difficult, stock A33 airbox, AFC, WB, heck maybe even throw in a PFTB and larger MAF housing to really help throttle response.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:56 AM

so what you are saying is dont get y-pipe unless you get headers with it, adn that there is no point in buying intake because it doesnt help enough and just makes noise. Right???
Old 06-28-2007, 09:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

It looks as if you misread what I said. Basically, if you want to do it right, get headers, but if you're cheap, get an unequal length ypipe . The intake should be up to you, either you like the noise or not. In any case, any modification to the intake system will require some sort of AFR adjustments also. Once again, don't put one shoe on and not the other. If you're going to do it right, do it right the first time.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

what about that thread?
That thread is specifically to answer questions such as what mods should i do first. There's been 100's and 100's of these threads which is why the one I posted was created...so that you, being new to the forum, can ask all of the same questions that have been asked for years without creating yet another thread about it.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

Although I do agree with to a certain point. A lot of what's happening in our 'modding' world is changing. We have new ways of collecting data, new tools to tune with.

Almost seems as if we've entered a en era. And some of the already available information is on the verge of being outdated.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 PM

ok well this thread is over thanks for the help all!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:08 PM

Headers + y-pipe will give you a bit more power than a y-pipe
Until I see dyno's I'm going to argue this every chance I get.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Hooooooonda.....

If I was to start all over with my car, I'd do all the cheap and free mods first. Those are most satisfying to me. Then start on all the suspension components. Struts and springs, FSTB, RSB, SFC. Then power mods come next. Hack your air box, headers, cat back. The you start to worry about the exterior. Exterior mods to me will always be least important...
Old 06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Until I see dyno's I'm going to argue this every chance I get.
Cattmans have given 2 members a solid 20whp over stock, not likely for a y-pipe to give that.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:53 AM
dko
duck and cover

don't overlook used parts. check the for sale forums frequently. you can get really great deals. the order doesn't really matter aside from suspension, which you can do at the same time. e.g. LTB and poly bushings at the same time as struts and springs.

oh and don't forget those mods. they aren't as well known as they should be. Energy Suspension Polyurethane LCA Bushings, Front Subframe Bushings and Control Arm bushings are a great and cheap mod (if you do the work yourself). they'll also likely outlast your car and add much needed control and make strut rebound firmer. i recently went back to stock suspension because i will be selling my car soon and even with stock struts and springs the ES bushings make a very noticeable difference.

by the same token, the LTB is a fantastic mod. it improves highspeed stability and quick steering inputs greatly. especially the stage 2.

and if you do the work yourself you'll learn a lot, too.

for suspension mods

as far as go fast mods, Y-pipe is great, b-pipe much less so. the intake issue has been beaten to death since this board started. what i can tell you is that i have a frankencar hybrid intake and i am very happy with it.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Wow.. I'm surprised to hear SFC's as a recommended FIRST mod. Who here has them and what do you guys think?? I am pretty heavily modded, including deep suspension mods, but I DONT have SFC's.. will I like to have them? Feedback please..
DJ

Subframe connectors first, hands down.

Y-pipe will give you some good power up top and add a little bit of exhaust noise.
Headers + y-pipe will give you a bit more power than a y-pipe and will add a nice exhaust note.
A true CAI is hard to find for the 4th gen and will give you a little bit of top-end and a nice loud growl under WOT at the expense of some low-midrange power.

A rear sway bar will make your car more prone to oversteer and reduce body roll a bit.

After SFCs, do whichever you want.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:22 AM

hey quick question what are the best struts and springs to buy and where from???
Old 06-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Oh boy.. here we hoe again! This is a whole thread in itself and theres about 30 threads that sound just like this!
Tokico Illuminas are great struts, as are AGX's.. Progress, H&R, and Eibach make good springs. Progress makes a nice RSB, and FSTB and RSTB can be had from eBay..
DJ

hey quick question what are the best struts and springs to buy and where from???
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Kevlo for President

No. I don't like spoon feeding. Sorry. All of your answers can be found in the stickies and by searching. If you want the thread re-opened, pm with a legit reason.

Thanks.