4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Boredom + A32 + tools readily available == these videos. Open manifolds.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 03:14 PM
No more Maximas...

Boredom + A32 + tools readily available == these videos. Open manifolds.

Was working on the Supra with Merlyn, and got bored...so took off my y-pipe and made a couple videos, one outside the car and one on a short drive.

Really has nothing to do with anything, but if some of yall have never heard a VQ30 running open manifolds or headers...****ing sweet. A little too loud for my tastes, but whatever.

Out of car vid
In car vid
And for those wanting to see the Supra...
Old 07-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Under the radar

haha i ran just headers and y pipe for a week once (long story with cat back system). It sounds mean as hell, though i felt a power drop big time.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:40 PM

not as loud as i thought... a monster that i heard was when we left open headers at the w12 VW phateon. that thing was heard 2 shops down from us as well.

did the supra end up running? i got a little boring of watching the 2 min videos of you guys cranking it.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:57 PM
SHIFT_In2D

Whoa that sounds nice lol looks like you two had some fun!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:37 PM
i has college

That sounds mean. You should have gone through some parking lots and set off car alarms
Old 07-15-2007, 06:27 PM

hahaha, that's great, sounded evil
Old 07-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Bacon Lover

I ran an open y-pipe for a day once as well. Sounds SO AWESOME (ungodly loud though). Definitely no torque at all, unfortunately.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:07 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Tatanko
I ran an open y-pipe for a day once as well. Sounds SO AWESOME (ungodly loud though). Definitely no torque at all, unfortunately.
Oh yea, no low end. That little run behind the gas station on the first vid was WOT from a dead stop, didn't even chirp the tires. Then again, it won't do that even with my full 2.5" bolted up...damnit.

Open y-pipe definitely has no comparison to open manifolds though, it's like open y-pipe x 1000 as far as sounds go. Of course I'm also still on the stock y-pipe, so those precats restrict the flow a fair amount.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:26 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
not as loud as i thought... a monster that i heard was when we left open headers at the w12 VW phateon. that thing was heard 2 shops down from us as well.

did the supra end up running? i got a little boring of watching the 2 min videos of you guys cranking it.
Yea, I've got all the ****ty videos, he's got the one's where it's running.

Running, me forgetting what I was doing and waving a ratchet around like a fool
Just how much oil exactly is in the FMIC? We'll see...Oil BOV action
Oil out of the exhaust (ignore my little org comment)

Yea, I sound all sorts of redneck, 2 and a half years of living in TN will do that to ya.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by pmohr
Open y-pipe definitely has no comparison to open manifolds though, it's like open y-pipe x 1000 as far as sounds go. Of course I'm also still on the stock y-pipe, so those precats restrict the flow a fair amount.
Yeah mine was with the 2.5" Warpspeed y-pipe on, pretty free-flow
Old 07-16-2007, 07:20 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Yeah mine was with the 2.5" Warpspeed y-pipe on, pretty free-flow
Yea, you suck...at some point I'll be getting a y-pipe, damnit.

If I had any clue what I was doing in the past, I wouldnt've bought these high performance (heh) rims, would've just got tires on the stock rims (which I now want to put back on the car) and bought a y-pipe too...
Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 AM
SLOW

I had to drive my car with just a ypipe on it once for about 15 minutes and it was probably the most embarrassing thing I've ever done. You guys that are saying it' not as loud as you thought it'd be are not really getting the full effect from this video, it's ungodly, unbearably, ridiculously loud. I can't imagine there'd be a place in the entire nation that you'd be able to drive like that for a full day without getting pulled over and ticketed. The police would literally be able to hear you coming a half a mile away.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I had to drive my car with just a ypipe on it once for about 15 minutes and it was probably the most embarrassing thing I've ever done. You guys that are saying it' not as loud as you thought it'd be are not really getting the full effect from this video, it's ungodly, unbearably, ridiculously loud. I can't imagine there'd be a place in the entire nation that you'd be able to drive like that for a full day without getting pulled over and ticketed. The police would literally be able to hear you coming a half a mile away.
It is damn loud, but I guess Oak Ridge, Oliver Springs, and Harriman cops don't care down in TN. I drove open manifolds for three days after I did my (second to last) trans swap, and I was so utterly pissed off at the car that I didn't feel like touching another damn thing on it.

After three days of a 40 mile roundtrip to school and 10mpg...i went ahead and put the y-pipe back on.

Going WOT around redline it sounds like a damn Indy car at 20k RPM or something. I was cruising at the lightest throttle possible past worked 5.0s and guys on Harleys that got distracted wondering wheretf that sound was coming from...it's loud.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM
What's next!?..

About 6 months back my cat blew on my way to work and the sound was LOUD. The shop I normally use is near work so I had to just keep goin for 30 miles. I was half deaf by the time I got there. (eh..wha??)

Just kept hoping the whole time I didn't have to slow down for traffic.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Wild for Width

Vibrating son of ungodly loud that is. Neal is dead-on about slinking down in the seat while driving the bomb. Banging off the rev limiter and throwing flames to the displeasure of you neighbor is a different story though.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Bacon Lover

The day I ran an open y-pipe I was still a junior in high school and actually drove it to school like that. When I went to pull in the lot, literally every single person in sight of me was staring at my car. I basically tried to touch the throttle as little as I possibly could, preferring instead to coast/idle everywhere if at all possible. All the comments I got were, "Dude that sounds AWESOME...but it's so loud!"
Old 07-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Ichiban King

I remember the day I ran the max with basically just an open y and it sounded awesome, but increase and revs and the illusion disappears..

You should hear this open dp though mwaha. No choice, I dont have money for a turbo back lol.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Back on my Oldsmobile, one day the joint at the cat completely rusted out and most of the exhaust system just kinda fell off the car. I was on the highway at the time. Since the Olds is RWD, it had a much different setup - the B-pipe was only about 4 feet long, and the muffler was just in front of the rear axle. Then there was a very long tailpipe that actually curved up above the rear axle. So, because the thing was wrapped around the rear axle, I couldn't take it off and throw it in the backseat, so I had to use a coat hanger and some rope to tie the B-pipe to one of the frame crossmembers. I drove it like that for over a week. About 1" of ground clearance. The sound was so loud that I didn't even bother trying to listen to the radio or have a conversation. All that was there were the manifolds and crossover pipe (the Olds equivalent of a Y-pipe) and the cat. The car was dead slow as usual, and the passenger side floor heated up pretty quickly, but relatively small 307ci V8 sounded really mean.

Before that, on my Mazda, the same joint rusted completely out. I used a piece of stiff wire to hold the muffler on. The muffler was so rusty that the outer sheetmetal completely fell off, so you could see the insides with the different pipes and baffles. Then part of the exhaust manifold rusted out. It was loud as **** as well.

*knock on wood*... no big Maxima muffler problems yet... except for that 6" square chunk of metal that rusted off of the bottom of the muffler... apparently it's got another layer under it, so all is well!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:32 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nalc
Back on my Oldsmobile, one day the joint at the cat completely rusted out and most of the exhaust system just kinda fell off the car. I was on the highway at the time. Since the Olds is RWD, it had a much different setup - the B-pipe was only about 4 feet long, and the muffler was just in front of the rear axle. Then there was a very long tailpipe that actually curved up above the rear axle. So, because the thing was wrapped around the rear axle, I couldn't take it off and throw it in the backseat, so I had to use a coat hanger and some rope to tie the B-pipe to one of the frame crossmembers. I drove it like that for over a week. About 1" of ground clearance. The sound was so loud that I didn't even bother trying to listen to the radio or have a conversation. All that was there were the manifolds and crossover pipe (the Olds equivalent of a Y-pipe) and the cat. The car was dead slow as usual, and the passenger side floor heated up pretty quickly, but relatively small 307ci V8 sounded really mean.

Before that, on my Mazda, the same joint rusted completely out. I used a piece of stiff wire to hold the muffler on. The muffler was so rusty that the outer sheetmetal completely fell off, so you could see the insides with the different pipes and baffles. Then part of the exhaust manifold rusted out. It was loud as **** as well.

*knock on wood*... no big Maxima muffler problems yet... except for that 6" square chunk of metal that rusted off of the bottom of the muffler... apparently it's got another layer under it, so all is well!
Ah, wonderful Olds problems...apparently my dad's old Cutlass Ciera had the exhaust system break off at one of the manifolds while he was driving, and right before he junked it (for good reasons) the motor and trans mounts literally separated from the motor/trans, respectively. Didn't make for a fun trip on the highway.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:38 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Apparition
I remember the day I ran the max with basically just an open y and it sounded awesome, but increase and revs and the illusion disappears..

You should hear this open dp though mwaha. No choice, I dont have money for a turbo back lol.

Ooh, pics/vids? 1J FTW.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That was awesome!!! About 4 months ago my moms sienna had its b pipe fall off of the cat and damn did it sound mean lol! So I took it out for a little ride and people were looking at me like WTF!!??? I pulled next to this guy in a lowered civic with a huge fart can and started reving at him and he gave me super suprised holy **** face. However he didn't want any of the minivan madness so he waited until I went and stayed behind me the whole time lol!!! Then a block away from my house and I was pulled over but the cop but he was cool, he was like " How the hell do you kids keep finding ways to modify cars that aren't ment to be?" So I told him how the exhaust fell off so he looked under the car and laughed and let me go since I was around the block from my house. It was a fun day that day but damn that thing was LOUD it was like my budget and cattman at WOT inside the car lol!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:11 AM

Damnnnn.!!!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Ichiban King

Ooh, pics/vids? 1J FTW.
I dont have any of my own yet.. My engine comes on a container the 28th and I'm paying 5k for swap + FMIC and piping + A/c and all accessories.. Already had the R154 gearbox from my 7m.

Should be fun.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 AM

Ah, wonderful Olds problems...apparently my dad's old Cutlass Ciera had the exhaust system break off at one of the manifolds while he was driving, and right before he junked it (for good reasons) the motor and trans mounts literally separated from the motor/trans, respectively. Didn't make for a fun trip on the highway.
Don't get me wrong, it was a wonderful car, and if it actually had a decent sized engine that could take it to 60mph in less than 15 seconds and a suspension that didn't lower 6" if you sat on the bumper, I'd probably still have it now. Had my fair share of fun misadventures with it.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 AM

haha

rode open y-pipe once....my gorsh i could not hear a da*n thing afterwards.
you litterally need headphones to talk like in the mclaren f1.

sad thing is, you think its really cool, loud, and mean, but in reality, its slow, stupid and people are oddly staring at you thinkin, huh...? why is it so loud, its...a maxima...
Old 07-18-2007, 07:23 AM

"sad thing is, you think its really cool, loud, and mean, but in reality, its slow, stupid and people are oddly staring at you thinkin, huh...? why is it so loud, its...a maxima..."

haha you couldn't be more right
Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 AM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
my brother drove like that for 4-6 mths wit no problems from cops
Old 07-18-2007, 09:45 AM
No more Maximas...

I dont have any of my own yet.. My engine comes on a container the 28th and I'm paying 5k for swap + FMIC and piping + A/c and all accessories.. Already had the R154 gearbox from my 7m.

Should be fun.
**** that, bring it up here and I'll throw that 1JZ in there (...or take off with it for Merlyn's supra)
Old 07-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Donating i30 Owner

.... man sounds like a muscle car....
Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Ichiban King

**** that, bring it up here and I'll throw that 1JZ in there (...or take off with it for Merlyn's supra)
Yeah with my mods, all I need is to get a boost controller and turn out 2 psi more and I'll have 315whp. Have to get a aftermarket turbo y to see the crazy gains though haha. With the mods I have I'll be running about 12psi (stock.. 10psi), the ct12a's are truly tiny though, I need to get a single GT35 and see how that does lol.

Alright I'll let you get back to topic.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:10 AM

thats funny what your friend said with the radar detactor
Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 PM
No more Maximas...

Yeah with my mods, all I need is to get a boost controller and turn out 2 psi more and I'll have 315whp. Have to get a aftermarket turbo y to see the crazy gains though haha. With the mods I have I'll be running about 12psi (stock.. 10psi), the ct12a's are truly tiny though, I need to get a single GT35 and see how that does lol.

Alright I'll let you get back to topic.
Keep to the Supra lineage, two CT-26s...heh. 57 trim upgrade, of course. Hell, TO4R...
Old 07-20-2007, 04:04 AM
VQ30DET

I took my car to the track one weekend. Since I wanted to run higher boost, I took the whole exhaust off just before the cat is. It sounded awesome. When I got back in the city(trailered my car) I put the exhaust back on and went intown. Well when I got to town, the bolts either broke or loosened and my exhaust dropped off. So I climbed under it, rigged up a hanger for it, and drove home like that. I got some pretty weird looks from people when they heard the turbo spooling so loud
Old 07-20-2007, 05:48 AM

A friend and I were installing a magnaflow kit on his focus. Half way through we had to go pick up my sister from somewhere. There was no catback, just up to the cat. We started drivin it around and man! It was loud! We got two blocks down the street and turned around and went back, and used the minivan isntead. It sounded mean as heck, but like g4nismo said, people oddly stare at you...
Old 07-20-2007, 11:24 AM
VQ35 FTW

my buddy has ran like that in his crx for like 4 months. Obviously, it sounds nothing like our cars, but when he cracks vtec, it is a ridiculous noise.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by mastercater7
my buddy has ran like that in his crx for like 4 months. Obviously, it sounds nothing like our cars, but when he cracks vtec, it is a ridiculous noise.

how can u indure something like that for 4 months, esp in a crx?
seeing 4 cyl cars that sound like there going 100 when really only going 40 mph are retarded.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:12 PM

you kno at idle, if u pull up to any rustang, camaro, or transam........ they will be indimitidated, but after 1500 RPM it soudns weak!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by MaxFanatik
you kno at idle, if u pull up to any rustang, camaro, or transam........ they will be indimitidated, but after 1500 RPM it soudns weak!!!!!!!!!
Weak is an understatement.. It sounds flat out terrible.