4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cv joint => leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 05:43 PM

I didn't notice this until I got home from work today... but I think the cv joint ( boot) is leaking on the right side. I was wondering how serious a problem this is and what will happen If I don't take action?

Also, how much will it cost to replace it? I was told that I had to replace the whole axle since the cv joint is severely damaged.

Thanks...
Old 07-18-2001, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by kmax97
I didn't notice this until I got home from work today... but I think the cv joint ( boot) is leaking on the right side. I was wondering how serious a problem this is and what will happen If I don't take action?

Also, how much will it cost to replace it? I was told that I had to replace the whole axle since the cv joint is severely damaged.

Thanks...
i think you should have it repaired asap. from what i was told by other members, parts will be around $110 where as labor will be around $90. from DBM, catostrophic damage may occur if not repaired immediately, or something like that.. im sure he'll post up and tell you what to do.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:33 PM

Thanks...
The usual test for a bad Constant Velocity joint is to go to a quiet parking lot and drive the car slowly (3 mph) in tight right-hand (clockwise) circles, and then tight left-hand (counterclockwise) circles. Do this in a forward gear, and also in reverse. A bad joint will usually make distinct rhythmic clicking or snapping sounds. Snap, snap, snap!

If the CV joints are still good you need only new boots. However, if you prefer to pay a professional to do your repairs the cost for new boots will be more than half the cost for remanufactured axles (which come with new boots). If your Maxima has high miles, replacing the axles may be the right thing to do.

Replacing the CV boots may be done by the intermediate home mechanic. Replacing the boot alone is more work than replacing the axle shaft with a remanufactured unit. You will need a repair manual to guide you. This procedure is covered in Chilton (page 7-3) and Haynes (page 8-7).

The going rate for a remanufactured axle is $200 per side. This includes the axle ($110) and the labor ($90).
Old 07-18-2001, 06:33 PM
Banned

when mine went bad i was told if not fixed ASAP it could cause axle damage.... and an axle is alot of money... the repair was 150 a side at my local nissan dealer and you get a 1yr/10,000 mile warranty with that
Old 07-18-2001, 06:42 PM

The labor to re-pack the CV joint and replace the rubber boot would probably be more than the cost of a rebuilt half-shaft and you would still have one end of the half-shaft that wasn't serviced. I would recommend that you just get a rebuilt half-shaft.

It should be replaced soon, but it is not what I would call a safety item like brakes or tires. Also, a bad CV joint will usually give you plenty of warning before it goes out. First, it will start clicking when you make turns (the outer one). Then it will make clicking noises all of the time. That's when you start worrying whether it will leave you stranded somewere.

To summarize, it's cheaper to replace the half-shaft than it is to have yours refurbished. If you are going to buy a rebuilt one, there is no reason to rush to replace it just to KEEP from damaging the CV joint.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:44 PM

I am getting that clicking sound when I make tight turns... esp. when making right turns... I also hear it when I'm making a stop.

DBM => How do I know If I have to replace just the boot or the whole axle shaft, and do you think I should get it done at the dealer or at an independent shop?

Thanks for all your useful info and quick reply..

Please advise.. thanks
Old 07-18-2001, 07:22 PM

I am getting that clicking sound when I make tight turns... esp. when making right turns... I also hear it when I'm making a stop.

DBM => How do I know If I have to replace just the boot or the whole axle shaft, and do you think I should get it done at the dealer or at an independent shop?

Thanks for all your useful info and quick reply..

Please advise.. thanks
Those clicking sounds tell you to replace the whole axle shaft. This job can be done by an independent shop. Ask around town. Ask friends, neighbors, coworkers. Chances are you will hear some horror stories, and also some glowing recommendations.

Independents usually charge less than the dealer. Perhaps you will find a former Nissan dealer technician who opened his own repair shop. That's a good man to know!
Old 07-18-2001, 07:34 PM

I guess I'll have to replace the whole axle shaft... btw, what will eventually happen if I ride on bad cv joints?
Old 07-18-2001, 08:19 PM

Eventually the CV joint could come apart. With just one end of the driveshaft attached, the other end would be free to flail around and beat the hell out of everthing in it's way.

According to Murphy's Law, it would most likely break late on a Saturday night, in a bad neighborhood, with your new girlfriend in the front seat and while traveling at a high rate of speed.
Old 07-19-2001, 04:26 AM

Furthermore...

Originally posted by sinewave
... According to Murphy's Law, it would most likely break late on a Saturday night, in a bad neighborhood, with your new girlfriend in the front seat and while traveling at a high rate of speed.
Furthermore, it's raining... and you don't have an umbrella... and your cell phone battery is dead.
Old 07-19-2001, 04:59 AM

Re: Furthermore...

I paid $50 per shaft to have them rebuilt. If you do nothing the noise just gets louder.. It won't break though.. You can also pull it yourself.. It could not be easier..... Especially on the right side where it is only held in by 3 bolts + the wheel assembly.. (this is a good time to replace your struts/Springs since it will be free)